• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arumus Pokémon Spriting

Arumus

Insert user title here..
Years
  • Arumus Pokémon Pixel Overs

Such an inventive title, I know.

Lately I've been wondering on what to do on the forum, so I don't go away for a number of months from boredom. So I have been thinking of a way to keep myself active. Fan fiction isn't my cup of tea and competitive battling is too much to think about. So I'm here and I thought I'd just do some spriting.

I'm gonna try and sprite one Pokémon a week. That's not setting the bar to high or low, seems manageable and I can keep active and maybe do something productive for everyone.

I thank and encourage criticism, so don't worry about offending me. I'm just a begginning spriter and doing it just to stay active on the forum, I do take your criticisms to try and learn. I wont be going back and editing old sprites until I have enough for a showcase really (So when I have the time to).

#001 - Currently Working On
    Arumus Pokémon Spriting

Arumus Pokémon Spriting

Arumus Pokémon Spriting

#553 - Currently Working On

Last edited:
    Years
  • Showcases belong in the Pixel Art sub-forums, so moved to there. I suggest getting up some more sprites as well or the thread could get closed.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Showcases belong in the Pixel Art sub-forums, so moved to there. I suggest getting up some more sprites as well or the thread could get closed.

Fair enough. Yes, I agree but the thread has only been up one day and if you read I'll be doing one a week.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • And you need for Orignial sprites for a thread :)
    and you have two.

Theres something about the pikachu sprite..
    And the dragonite is excelent to me, great shading and everything.
    Keep on spriting

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • And you need for Orignial sprites for a thread and you have two.

Touché :P Well, I'll get those I'm working on up as soon as I can.

Theres something about the pikachu sprite..

I know I see it too, something isn't quite right.

And the dragonite is excelent to me, great shading and everything.

Cheers man, appreciate it :)

Blizzard-Prince

digitalARTIST not for hire
    Years
  • For me, the backside of Pikachu seems too flat-ish. xD

Dragonite is very well done, though. Are you gonna be sticking to their actual sizes? Like drawing a huge Gyarados and a tiny Caterpie?

Seems you're doing pixel-overs. :)

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Mmm, yeah as well as the link up with the head. I'll edit it once I get a few more done. Yeah, I like the idea of doing their sizes rather than game size Pokémon.

Ah, that's what its called, couldn't place my finger on it :P

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • I'm going to do whatever one interests me, obviously it'll take quite a while to even do just the Kanto ones, let alone them all :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

You need to fix a lot of the shading and shape of the lines on this piece, imo.

On the arm he's holding up, the arm does not curve very well at all, his claws appear both to be to smooth and rounded off, and the far two claws appear to be fused together instead of placed on his hand.

With his chest, the lines you've drawn to copy the curved lines on his belly don't work at all, instead they just look jagged and broken. The spots of shading around the middle don't work either - I'm not sure what you're going for here. His tail does not curve smoothly either - the sudden jump from one long line to a series of two-pixel long lines makes it look more like a sudden jerk and a straight angle instead of a slight curve.

His eyes don't look too good, and I think they should be a little bit larger and more accurate to the original art and official sprites of Dragonite, while that little spike at the tip of his head doesn't look too good - again it's kinda jagged and stiff instead of being a smooth tip.

On the wings, the dark line isn't drawn too well - it doesn't curve in the right way as the original art, and along with the rough shading it makes it kinda hard to discern what's going on there. As for the shading in general, I think you overuse the highlight colour on this piece - while it may work on Sugimori's art, what works on a large drawing doesn't translate to sprite too well. The shape of the highlighted areas is also not very smooth and curved.

There's also a few areas of lost detail which can be rendered with lighter outlines (the line showing joints between his back leg and foot is missing, as is the detail around the edge of his face and around his arm - shoulder joint)

Overall you have a lot of trouble drawing smooth curves - with both the actual lines of the piece and the shape of the shading. Try following examples like this:

Arumus Pokémon Spriting

When the length of the lines gradually increases and decreases around the edge it creates a smooth transition, rather than suddenly jumping from long lines to short ones.

Last edited:

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Cheers for taking the time to write that Shock. I will go back and edit it at some point.

As I said I'll try get one up a week, here's another.

Arumus Pokémon Spriting

I know there are a few flaws, well I say a few, there's more. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I'm not a perfectionist.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The shading is very poor, and that's a complaint I'd direct at the original anime piece as well. The palette is slightly muted, and the yellow patch on Charizard's belly does not need to be outlined on a sprite. The outlines in general are poor, with not enough variance in colour depending on the shading of the area outlined or whether the section is in the path of the light source or not, along with random patches of black outlines.

Also the original artist didn't draw his neck (or lack of one) at all correctly.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    These sprites look like they could be in the actual game (in the pokedex, maybe)! Keep up the good work!

Back