• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Asgard's Pixel art stuff YEAH

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Hey guys, I'm Asgard and that was my creative title name.

I do sprite stuff sometimes. It's a little hobby of mine, but I'd like to get other's opinions on what I've done. All the recent stuff I have done is mostly edits and stuff but whatever. =w=

tales of symphonia HGSS trainer edits:

doofs:

OLDER STUFF

Spoiler:

Yeah so that's it. as I'm posting this I am a bit sick so sorry if I have made any mistakes or something -w-;;

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks :'D I made the doofs as practice for shading hair actually =w= I always meant to make more but never got around to it.

Made a new scratch earlier today in paint but I was too lazy to transparency it -w-;

It is a human Shaymin(sky forme~) design that I came up with in a MATH CLASS
    I made the base a while ago and never realized how awkward it looks until I tried using it :'D

Years
    I don't know about Tales of Symphonia so I can't say how well your sprites match them or their style, but to me yours are a bit 'busy'. What I mean is, there is a lot of small detail and at a glance it's hard to tell exactly what I'm looking at. You certainly took the effort to get those little details, but sometimes I think a clearer image works just as good or better. It gives your eye something to focus on instead of having it running around. Like this guy:

That arm on the left doesn't really need dark and light spots when a clear, single dark area and light area would work. Something more like what's going on with the pants. Distinct light area, distinct dark area, and just a couple of lines to suggest the shape and texture of the pants.

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    @tomthepom: Thanks :'D I know, she looks kinda weird... I didn't know how silly it would look until after I did it n__n;

@Scarf: Ahaha n_n; It wasn't fun, making all the sprites... Tales of Symphonia is a GC game, so they have much larger bases to make details - hence, my attempts look really busy. (It does not help that like EVERYONE has some kind of colored edge to their clothes which makes outlining really weird) The shading problem... ahahaha I did that without thinking. The shading looks weird because I completely reshaded that part in how I usually shade things. =w= I tried reshading his left arm, but it just looks wrong to me now~ xD;; It's all... flat and stuff.

What do you think?

Years

What do you think?
    Well, it's not perfect, but it's easier on the eye and I don't think you've lost anything by making it simpler. The thing right now is that you'd have to go for an overall level of detail that's consistent over the whole sprite. Not saying that small change means you have to change everything else, but it's worth going back over any of your work and asking yourself if something could use more/less detail. But that's just one of many things you could ask yourself when going back over your work anyway.

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Okay. Thank you for the criticism! :> I'll look over them later - my Photoshop is not liking me right now and is being angry with the pixel tool :I

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2010
    Whoa, those trainer sprites are nice. Honestly, I've never played any of the Tales series, but I can see the personality shown pretty well! The clothes and hair are especially nice. The only thing I can see are the outlines. Some places are all black, while the others are really bright. Other than that, I think you're doing great! I'll be around periodically to check out your work. : D

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    @Lass Caroline: Thanks for the crit! I'll mess around with doing a bit of a darker outline on some of the white/lighter sections (ugh Raine's shoes, for instance~)

@Hypergaming: Uhhh sure? Haha thanks for asking first n__n; It's fine by me.

Serris

The Constant
    Years
    Your trainer's a very detailed. They are amazing. The detail you've put into them make them stand out. Keep up the good work on that field. The Bidoofs kinda scare me. Especially the Goku one. Not that they're bad. they just frighten me. I do like some of your older revamps. But they would be more revamps if they were resized for the games new sprite limitations. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing more.

Back