• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash and his eight Sinnoh gym badge

Who will represent Ash in his eight gym battle?

• Pikachu

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Staraptor

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Grotle

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Monferno

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Buizel

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Gliscor

Votes: 24 63.2%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think Ash only loses one time whenever he starts a new league and that would only be against the first gym leader. He lost to Brock, Falkner, Roxanne, and Roark iirc.

Of course, since Volkner = Lt. Surge, then Ash might lose the first time, but win the second time.

Actually, Ash beat Roxanne and Falkner on the first try. You're spot on in regards to Brock and Roark, however.

Actually, I'm not sure Volkner is even equal to Lt. Surge. The only real similarity is the fact that they both use Electric Pokemon. Other than that, there's little similarity between the two. Lt. Surge in the games was a stereotypical War Veteran (by that, I meant that he seems to be constantly paranoid, similar to shell shock or PTSD) whileas Volkner is bored with his being a Gym Leader, sometimes not even taking it seriously. Even going by the Anime, they have differences as well, and that's assuming they even keep his personality from the games. With Lt. Surge, he's an arrogant showboat who likes to call his [male] challengers "babies", and most certainly isn't bored with his job.

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    Actually, Ash beat Roxanne and Falkner on the first try. You're spot on in regards to Brock and Roark, however.

Awesome, but that mostly showed that the 2nd and 3rd generation gym leaders were weak. Ash doesn't really fight anyone important till the Whirl Cup and the Johto tournament in 2nd generation, and the Hoenn tournament and Kanto Battle Frontier in 3rd generation.

Actually, I'm not sure Volkner is even equal to Lt. Surge. The only real similarity is the fact that they both use Electric Pokemon. Other than that, there's little similarity between the two. Lt. Surge in the games was a stereotypical War Veteran (by that, I meant that he seems to be constantly paranoid, similar to shell shock or PTSD) whileas Volkner is bored with his being a Gym Leader, sometimes not even taking it seriously. Even going by the Anime, they have differences as well, and that's assuming they even keep his personality from the games. With Lt. Surge, he's an arrogant showboat who likes to call his [male] challengers "babies", and most certainly isn't bored with his job.

I see. I hope at least the fight between Volkner and Ash will be a good one. This coming Saturday Candice will fight Ash, and it should be a good fight. Paul did say that anyone can beat the gym leaders, even though this generation gym battles are decent, lol.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Awesome, but that mostly showed that the 2nd and 3rd generation gym leaders were weak. Ash doesn't really fight anyone important till the Whirl Cup and the Johto tournament in 2nd generation, and the Hoenn tournament and Kanto Battle Frontier in 3rd generation.

Well, to be fair, Johto at least had Ash using Charizard and Pikachu, plus the only new pokemon on that team was Chikorita, so it wasn't really that bad. However, I'll agree with Hoenn, especially seeing how Pikachu won wasn't even because of skill, but dumb luck [It absorbed a second Hyper Beam and somehow became energized. Yes, you've read correctly, the Japanese version, instead of Thunder Wave/Zap Cannon, had her commanding Nosepass to use two Hyper Beams]

I see. I hope at least the fight between Volkner and Ash will be a good one. This coming Saturday Candice will fight Ash, and it should be a good fight. Paul did say that anyone can beat the gym leaders, even though this generation gym battles are decent, lol.

Yeah, I know. In fact, I can't help but feel that Gym Leaders, in actuality, are as talented as JJM, and we know how much they are talented in battling [or rather, not talented]. Though, I'll admit, at least this time around, Ash's pokemon actually are getting a good challenge. I still wish they didn't downplay Pikachu, though. I mean, after defeating a Regice all by itself in the final battle against Brandon instead of basically dealing the final blow [like it did with Drake's Dragonite and Tyson's Metagross], combined with the fact that it was strongly implied that the Battle Frontier was stronger than either the Gym Leaders or even the Elite Four, to have Pikachu lose against something that it should plow through in terms of pure skill [IE, Gym Leaders].

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    Well, to be fair, Johto at least had Ash using Charizard and Pikachu, plus the only new pokemon on that team was Chikorita, so it wasn't really that bad. However, I'll agree with Hoenn, especially seeing how Pikachu won wasn't even because of skill, but dumb luck [It absorbed a second Hyper Beam and somehow became energized. Yes, you've read correctly, the Japanese version, instead of Thunder Wave/Zap Cannon, had her commanding Nosepass to use two Hyper Beams]

Pikachu's actually a SSJ, lol. His power lvl is:
    Spoiler:

Yeah, I know. In fact, I can't help but feel that Gym Leaders, in actuality, are as talented as JJM, and we know how much they are talented in battling [or rather, not talented].

Yeah, pretty much, lol.

Though, I'll admit, at least this time around, Ash's pokemon actually are getting a good challenge. I still wish they didn't downplay Pikachu, though.

I think the writers realized how much Pikachu was overpowered back then, so they downgraded it, much like how DC Comics nerfed Superman after the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I mean, after defeating a Regice all by itself in the final battle against Brandon instead of basically dealing the final blow [like it did with Drake's Dragonite and Tyson's Metagross

Well, that's the Hax Frontier for you. Critical hits, gotta love them. The Pokemon Emerald Battle Frontier was reeeaalllllly hard back then, I'm surprised that Ash won those fights. To be fair though, when Ash was bloodlusted in his first fight, his Sceptile was beating the snot out of Brandon's Regirock. When Ash snapped out of being possessed by that spirit, that was the only reason he lost the first fight.

combined with the fact that it was strongly implied that the Battle Frontier was stronger than either the Gym Leaders or even the Elite Four, to have Pikachu lose against something that it should plow through in terms of pure skill [IE, Gym Leaders].

Pikachu's a glass cannon like Deoxys Attack Form. It can dish out damage, but it has the durability of a wet paper towel.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Pikachu's actually a SSJ, lol. His power lvl is:
    Spoiler:

Very funny.

I think the writers realized how much Pikachu was overpowered back then, so they downgraded it, much like how DC Comics nerfed Superman after the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Couldn't the writers just, you know, Oak Pikachu, though?
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want Pikachu to leave, but if I have to choose between Oaking him and having him being depowered to such a ridiculous degree, I would rather have Ash Oak him for once.

Well, that's the Hax Frontier for you. Critical hits, gotta love them. The Pokemon Emerald Battle Frontier was reeeaalllllly hard back then, I'm surprised that Ash won those fights. To be fair though, when Ash was bloodlusted in his first fight, his Sceptile was beating the snot out of Brandon's Regirock. When Ash snapped out of being possessed by that spirit, that was the only reason he lost the first fight.

To be fair, I never really counted the Regirock fight seeing how, like you said, it wasn't exactly Ash fighting, just the Pokelantis king's spirit, as well as the stakes being entirely different (If Pokelantis King lost, he'd have to give up Ash's body, but if Brandon lost, then he'd have to forfeit every single pokemon he owned.).

Pikachu's a glass cannon like Deoxys Attack Form. It can dish out damage, but it has the durability of a wet paper towel.

Well, I never fought for or against Deoxys Attack Form(e), but I think I know what you mean by that.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
    Like what they do all the time, he will win using Pikachu. Pikachu is his best friend, so obviously he'll use Pikachu. Pikachu was also used many times before, so what's stopping him from using Pikachu?

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I'm betting Pikachu, and NOT because of the whole "Best friend" thing.

Volkner's electric type gym will make this a personal bout, like Lt. Surge. Maybe not so much on the evolution thing, but on the "My electric type is better than YOUR electric type" thing.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too at first, then I changed my mind because they would have just been recycling plots from the older episodes.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Wow, if Pikachu is a SSJ then I like those odds, that would be a badass evolution or shiney/rare version of Pikachu haha. But realistically it looks like Pikachu will be apart of the team regardless for all case scenarios, you know it will want to battle for the final badge of the region.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    Just thought of something wouldn't it be an 5 on 5 gym battle and if so i would like to change my line up to be
    Monferno
    Grotle
    Pikachu
    Gliscor
    Buziel

And i think the battle will go like this ash starts with buziel and everyone will be shocked Buziel will win the first fight and the match will go Ash Wins volkner Wins Ash Wins Volkner Wins Till the final battle most likey pika vs riachu and pikachu will just win

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    Very funny.[]

Couldn't the writers just, you know, Oak Pikachu, though?
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want Pikachu to leave, but if I have to choose between Oaking him and having him being depowered to such a ridiculous degree, I would rather have Ash Oak him for once.

I dunno. Ash Oaking Pikachu would mean the end of the anime.

To be fair, I never really counted the Regirock fight seeing how, like you said, it wasn't exactly Ash fighting, just the Pokelantis king's spirit, as well as the stakes being entirely different (If Pokelantis King lost, he'd have to give up Ash's body, but if Brandon lost, then he'd have to forfeit every single pokemon he owned.)

That's the thing with Pokemon fights. All the fights count, regardless of the reasons. Pokemon isn't like DBZ where everyone fights on fair grounds ie Cell giving everyone 10 days of prep.

Well, I never fought for or against Deoxys Attack Form(e), but I think I know what you mean by that.

Yeah, it's defenses are terrible and are as bad as Pikachu's, but it's still in Ubers.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    ive changed my mind now XD i dont think ash will win his 8th badge and he will decide to go to johto XD

Back