• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash should be a demi-god trainer by now.

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
    Years
    Even though I have been a fan for 11 years, it just sorta dawned on me in the last week. xD I keep taking the bait every new sage,hoping for a change. >.>

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
    At the start of the Hoenn series, I thought Ash seemed pretty mature and reflective on his previous travels and seemed to become May's mentor. Then Brock came back, and he seemed to become the same kid from Kanto, but still knowing what he's doing.

DP came along and he became basically a new trainer, like in Black and White. I'm pretty sure this is probably poorer ratings from the Advanced battle series (Taking a guess). For everyone saying he's reset every region, he has only in two, Sinnoh and Unova. Hoenn he was pretty experienced, not what we would expect but he wasn't as newbish as he was at beginning of DP and B&W.

I can understand the concept of new fans and all of that. Which is why I'd love for more Pokémon series to be created, like Pokémon Chronicles. Then eventually create a number of new sub characters who can eventually take the lime light.

But, sadly it's not a television series of in-depth writing and character development. It's a brand.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    I keep taking the bait every new sage,hoping for a change. >.>

Haha, same here. I give up too quickly though, perhaps. I've been paying much more attention to Best Wishes!, because of the fact I like the new Pokemon, the gym leaders... and Dento, of course. They game-canon-raped him to death, but for once the change is appreciated. Moving along...

I can understand the concept of new fans and all of that. Which is why I'd love for more Pokémon series to be created, like Pokémon Chronicles. Then eventually create a number of new sub characters who can eventually take the lime light.

Nice. I like the idea of other characters taking the limelight. Especially gym leaders. I would love to get a back story of the triplets, Elesa, Brycen... just to name some new faces. Their designs shouldn't be the only thing that makes them unique from each other! I think there should be many arcs; focussing on a different character. Like a summary of their path to becoming a gym leader (why they like battling, why those chose the type, etc.).

The possibilities for multiple mini-series, movies, spin-offs is pretty limitless- they could do a dramatisation of the historical aspects, movies centering on popular characters, etc....

But, sadly it's not a television series of in-depth writing and character development. It's a brand.

Indeed. It's silly to harshly berate a kid's show for not being deep enough. Consistency, I somewhat get, but depth? Dude, if you want depth, Pokemon is certainly not for you!

wittyname

None
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    I think mainly it's because if Ash repeatedly wins without a struggle, the show would be boring a predictive. I mean, come on, who wants to see Ash one hit KO each trainer/gym leader/E4 Member/Champion?

I have been following anime for a long time, and Pokemon for a little, I don't mean to criticize it.

But while it would be boring for ash to get extremely powerful and stroll pleasantly through all the gyms and such it is silly that his skill level seems to reset after every region.

It is also extremely annoying to put up an excellent fight in whatever league he is in and then get defeated by some beginning trainer in the next region.

There needs to be some sort of balance. He could just start out weak, fight some other weak trainers, win some lose some then start winning more.
    After that he moves onto higher level trainers.
    Then higher
    Then Gym leaders and high level trainers
    Then a league which he loses.

Change this around a bit it doesn't matter.

The main idea is :

He starts out weak, and then moves to a higher level of battling every season.

I've also been hearing it's a kids show.
    But I'm 15. As are all my friends who like pokemon.
    There are also juniors sophomores and seniors who like pokemon. Hell, my dad likes pokemon.
    We are all perfectly intelligent people and we all like pokemon. Maybe it should start to change its target audience. I don't know how many kids like it but It wouldn't hurt to change their target audience a little.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2011
    I was always of a mind that Ash just wasn't that good of a trainer.

He seems to win his biggest battles by sheer luck more often than not, and when he loses it's usually really ugly. Seriously, Ash's starter pikachu couldn' beat Gary's electovire!? There are only two explanations for this:

1. Ash sucks as a trainer, or

2. Gary is a stronger trainer than he is

Also the recent battle he had with his newest rival's rookie starter where pikachu was taken down with cut was hilarious. I'm sorry, but that episode pretty much proves that Ash is a terrible pokemon trainer.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    My opinion:
    I agree whit you,i mean after all these episodes Ash should be one of the greatest's, but instead he's still...normal. But for the other side i understand the need's to Ash be a normal trainer. That's the way that everyone know him.

Years
    You see, this is the problem with making Ash the main character every new season, they should have switched it up at least once, after Johto, coming back to him on Sinnoh if necessary, and I believe they should have changed in Unova, maybe following Cheren, Unvova's an entirely different part of the world it seems, and much different than anything Ash has seen, so I feel he'd be out of the water (and he's showing it, not winning all his battles so far)

So now the writers have to give him this "Compete with only Pokemon I catch here." idea after Johto or else his team would kill pretty much anything he meets. If he was to use his strongest Pokemon, and he had access to every one of them, his Five Starting Pokemon Team would probably be

Pikachu
    Charizard
    Sceptile
    Kingler
    Snorlax

With the 6th Pokemon varying between Donphan, Heracross, Muk, Swellow, Haunter and Glalie depending on the type advantage necessary.

There, he has a group of Pokemon that would be able to take on literally almost any six man team that his opponent would have. If necessary Infernape could be switched for Charizard to give a Fighting Type Coverage, but beyond that, I think that team would be able to destroy anything.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    Honestly, I have grown up with pokemon, heck I remember when the first episode aired here in the US so long ago, but some of the greatest memories. Alot has changed from what I can recall. I mean yes Ash be a noob trainer in Kanto. That's expected. And as someone said, in Johto and Hoenn he was more exp'd. But then in Sinnoh and Unova it's like he got hit in the head by a bone club. As much as I say change the main character, I still do like to see Ash, and him and pikachu are cash crops or cows, however you want to put it.

@Flames

Yes, I entirely agree with that. If he had all of this old pokes, whenever he wanted, it would 1. be a cake walk. 2. Everyone in Unova would freak out to the different region pokemon similar to what is happening to Pikachu. I do like though how Ash gets better again, but then we all realize that he is just going to be zapped back down eventually.

Oh, and what bothers me is. How everytime he gets to a new region that professor gives him like REP and then gets slapped by a 0 exp Snivy. Oh well, I take the anime for what it's worth and watch it anyway.

Back