• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ashlee Simpson...Lipsyncs?

KoBRe LaiR

Pokemon Forest Nature ©
    Years
    Yeah, she was. Wasn't it on Saturday Night Life Show?
    I heard it on the radio and comments at school. She a fake!

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    It is Saturday Night LIVE for the late night challenged. I really dont think her career will suffer because of this.

usami

biohazard
    Years
    I saw it on TRL, she called them and said that she had lost her voice because (I think it was) acid reflux, I can't really remember for sure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    .... None of the artists out today REALLY sing.. it's all touched up in the editing room... *shrugs* And they always lipsync during 'live' proformances.

usami

biohazard
    Years
    Hm.. From MTV News:
    Ashlee Simpson claimed a chronic gastric disorder was the cause of her lip-synching miscue on "Saturday Night Live" this past weekend. The singer said that acid reflux disease caused her to lose her voice and rely on a backing tape for her performance.

"It's so embarrassing," Simpson said when she called in to "TRL" Monday (October 25), "because it sucks. The total situation was a bummer. I made a complete fool of myself."

Simpson said she suffers from a chronic condition of "severe" acid reflux disease ? a condition in which the stomach's liquid content regurgitates into the esophagus ? and that it began acting up at around 6 p.m. on Saturday, causing her to "completely [lose] my voice." Her doctor advised her not sing, stating that she would damage her voice, and her father and manager, Joe Simpson, insisted she take it easy by using a backing track, a common (if seldom acknowledged) concert aid that allows singers to either lip-synch to, or sing along with, a guide-vocal track. "My dad was like, 'I'm sorry, you have to sing along with the backing track,' " Simpson said Monday.

Though Simpson's first performance in the show ? her hit "Pieces of Me" ? went off without a hitch, the second, "Autobiography," was derailed when a pre-recorded track of her voice (singing "Pieces of Me") began playing while Simpson was holding her mic to the side and had her mouth closed. When the track came on, Simpson tried to dance a little jig instead, but after about 30 seconds, she exited the stage as her band continued performing. The show cut to a commercial.

At the end of the show, host Jude Law tried to help Simpson brush the moment aside by shrugging, "What can I say, folks? Live TV." For her part, Simpson initially placed the blame on her band. "I feel so bad," she told the audience. "My band started playing the wrong song. And I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd do a hoe-down. I'm sorry. It's live TV. Things happen. I'm sorry."

Joe Simpson, Ashlee's father and manager, told Los Angeles radio station KIIS-FM, "Just like any artist in America, she has a backing track that she pushes so you don't have to hear her croak through a song on national television. No one wants to hear that. Every artist that I know in this business has had vocal problems at some time, from Celine [Dion] on down. So you've got to do what you've got to do."

Ashlee said that she wasn't happy with the decision to use a backing track, and emphasized that it's not something she normally relies upon. She's performed live on television on previous occasions, including MTV News' pre-show to the Video Music Awards, "By the Shore," and the Teen Choice Awards. And in fact, Simpson had rehearsed "Autobiography" live on Thursday (see "Ashlee Simpson Preparing To Take On Tara Reid").

"I was so upset," she said, "because I have never done that before. But my voice wasn't strong enough. I couldn't even speak."

During the show, a further mishap made the backing track obvious to everyone when, according to her record label, a "computer glitch" triggered "a cut from her album" to play instead of a drum cue. Simpson placed the blame a little more squarely on her drummer, saying he was the one who "pressed the wrong button."

"I didn't know what to do," she said. "I just froze. My band kept playing the song, like they were always told [to do]. We all went into a state of shock. 'Omigod, what do I do?' So I did the hoe-down and then I ran off."

Simpson has since been widely attacked for the snafu, with an interview she gave to Lucky magazine coming back to haunt her. When asked what her take on lip-synching was, she had told the magazine, "I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going to let my real talent show, not just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."

Simpson's official Web site has been flooded with more than 12,000 posts, many of them negative. Initially, it appeared that Simpson was responding to the posts ? blaming her hectic work schedule for wearing down her voice ? but a spokesperson has since claimed that the posts were not written by the singer.

To make sure a similar snafu doesn't happen again when she performs live on Monday for the Radio Music Awards in Las Vegas, Simpson said she got a cortisone shot in her lower back "and I'm much better."

"I hope I get a chance [to return to 'SNL']," she added. "My voice is so much better now. Sorry about that."

The Radio Music Awards in Las Vegas are to be broadcast live on NBC at 9 p.m.
    I thought I was right about the Acid Reflux thing.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    I WAS WATCHING THAT WHEN IT HAPPENED!

But nowadays, singers just record their voices and play it later on a live performance, they do it during the super bowl as well...

BOO ya!

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
    Years
    Personally, I think that she may be lying. Acid reflux disease? I mean, c'mon. I don't doubt that it would stop her from singing, but I do doubt that she actually had it.

Still though, I wouldn't start trying to ruin her rep because of it. A lot of singers these days lip sync a lot, so.. why is Ashlee an exception (although she did say that she was against it, but.. meh, I still don't think they should try to ruin her rep)?

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    They commented on her Acid Reflux on the Ashlee Simpon show before, so I don't think she's lying.

Plus, Acid Reflux affects more people than ya think. It's not like every singer uses that as an excuse

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
    Ha, that's what she gets for trying to pull a Milli Vinilli.

EDIT:And, I don't think anyone would wanna lie about having Acid Reflux. I have it, and it's painful, and it's not something to want to even pretend to have. I can understand her pain.

And PikaPal, what is STL?

Last edited:

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
    Years
    LittleFascistPanties16 said:
    They commented on her Acid Reflux on the Ashlee Simpon show before, so I don't think she's lying.

Plus, Acid Reflux affects more people than ya think. It's not like every singer uses that as an excuse

They commented on it on her show before SNL? Well then, I'm more likely to believe it now. Heh, that's what I get for being ignorant, I guess. =P But hey, the timing was suspicious, so I just assumed what seemed likely.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
    I'm surprised that Aslee Simpson lipsynced, she basically surpassed her sister Jessica already in terms of success, and already she had to to this.

But it was either she preform, or not preform at all, I don't blame her at all actully.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 27, 2009
    She and her 'people' have made up about 3 different stories so far.... That alone is proof that she lipsyncs all the time (everyone does) You cant sound like you do on CD everytime....

GOD.

life is great
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2005
    how do you mean.....everybody, you mean like all pop singers or something?

kill.harp

Kagemane master
    Years
    Sure, I bet she does lipsync. I didn't see SNL with her on it, but I had her about it. But hey, a lot of singers do. Her band isn't famous, it's her that is, and when that happens a lot of time they lipsync, 'cause they either don't want to have to sing a lot of times or for reasons concerning if she's real or not. Either way, I don't like Ashlee Simpson, but I expect a lot of people will respect her less for that and because she ran off stage crying when it happened.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    psh yeAH i heard about that ....... yesterday i was watching video music awards.... acid reflex disease??? ........ . . . . .ive hears her REALLY sing and she sucks ... and yeah every artist does that when theyre "live"=\

Back