• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

At the end of the Gold saga...

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2009
    Who's the boy Oak gives the pokedex too? I just wondered, and it's been bugging me for quite a while..

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • Common question.

Nobody knows who he was, his identity wasn't revealed.

He could be anyone, probably we'll never know who he is.

But... since our 13 main characters are implied to be only Pokedex Holders in the world, it means he was one of them. Ruby is the most likely option (because he's from Johto and has a Hoenn Pokedex, which he apparently got sometime BEFORE his Hoenn Journey [don't forget that Ruby was actually a Contest Pro and already had Pokemon when he started his Hoenn Journey]. Oak actually gives that boy a Hoenn Pokedex).

So, he's either Ruby or a mysterious 14th Pokedex Holder, which nobody knows about (except Oak, of course).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yep!

I concur with what Maxim has said. 'Cuz yeah the age gap is probably close (Ruby) that is. I didn't even notice that it was a Hoenn Dex till you guys pointed it out.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Ruby sounds plausible, but after rereading the beginning of the Hoenn arc, he didn't get a Pokedex until he met Professor Birch (in fact, the one he has was stolen from Birch :/). Sapphire likely got hers from Birch, too, so she's out of the question.

Now that I think about it, Emerald seems like the most plausible choice, simply because we don't know the origins of his Pokedex. :/

This, of course, assumes it wasn't simply a random kid, and that Pokedexes are as rare as they seem.

Last edited:

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • I have a good explaination! Well since Ruby was planning to run away he wanted to get the Pokedex to help him out with the new Pokemon in Hoenn. So I say he already had the Pokedex when he got Birch's, that's why he was trying to give it back when he got it, also when his shoes air blasts kick on the Pokedex(Birch's) flys out of his hand(if you want to check that it is Volume 15 Chapter VS Mightyena Page 93). So after he is saved by Sapphire he forgets he had the one he got from Oak and gets them mixed up thinking he has Birch's Pokedex still. Since Birch never gets his Pokedex back from Ruby he later finds it on the road where it flew out of Ruby's hand then Wally gets it and then Emerald gets it(somehow).

Last edited:
    Years
  • I always thought that celebi made it go back in the past a little but no enough for time to freeze over and it went back to something like the beggining of gold version , cause in gold version it says that same thing that oak said

Wallace Berlitz

I'm back for lucks and givin'
    Years
  • Who's the boy Oak gives the pokedex too? I just wondered, and it's been bugging me for quite a while..

I think it's Emerald. Maybe the kid was Emerald. Remember, Emerald is very short. And I think it's not Ruby. Because if that's Ruby, he will has the Pokedex in Hoenn Region. I still remember he was surprised that he saw the machine(Pokedex) is awesome. It could be Emerald but I don't know...And Crystald was from Johto. Emerald must be hired in Johto. And in the same time, Prof.Birch confirmed Treecko will be Emerald's first Pokemon. But then the sea flush Birch away... So it could be Emerald.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • He IS NOT Emerald!

Emerald is confirmed to get his Pokedex later than Ruby & Sapphire. He was a complete n00b at the beginning of Emerald Saga, so it is impossible he was a trainer before then.

If he was already a pro trainer before beginning of E Saga, he would have his Pokemon and all that jazz.

Furthermore, Emerald was 11 during E Saga. GSC saga takes place 5 years before Emerald. He was just 6 back then! No one starts journey in such young age.

And the thing that Emerald used to be in Johto is unlikely.

I don't believe he is Emerald.

If he's not Ruby, then he is just a meaningless cameo which was meant to copy the game, and it has no bearing on the manga canon.

And who said that Oak actually GAVE him the Pokedex. It was a Radio Show. So, maybe Oak was just presenting the functions of Pokedex to random kids.

The fact he's short doesn't mean anything, it is just such presentation. He is chibi.

So, I believe he is just a random kid and never actually obtained the Pokedex. I DON'T BELIEVE he's Emerald. He isn't him. That boy is just a random game cameo which isn't meant to have any bearing on plot.

Cem-chan

Victory
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2010
    What are you talking about? There's only like a 2-3 year gap between GSC and E. What I don't get is how picky Oak was when it came to giving Gold a pokedex yet he had no problem giving some kid a pokedex

pkmaster

PkmnMaster
    Years
  • What are you talking about? There's only like a 2-3 year gap between GSC and E. What I don't get is how picky Oak was when it came to giving Gold a pokedex yet he had no problem giving some kid a pokedex

maybe it was the way he acted towards oak. remeber gold was impolite, or his attitude toward pokemon..... gold didnt answer properly at first.....

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • What are you talking about? There's only like a 2-3 year gap between GSC and E. What I don't get is how picky Oak was when it came to giving Gold a pokedex yet he had no problem giving some kid a pokedex

Yeah, but the thing is, that the Pokedex Holders we know are special because they are Pokedex Holders (probably the only ones in the world). If there were more Dex Holders, then our beloved characters wouldn't be so special (they would be considered as ordinary Trainers). But they are NOT considered as normal trainers, they are the biggest 13, they are an ELITE!

That's why that kid is so... bugging.

And no, you're not right. There is 3 years gap between GSC and RS, and then, 2 years between RS and E.

So, Emerald was apparently 6 during GSC saga.

It's impossible that the boy was Emerald. Stop dreaming.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well it could be...

Some random person but why would Oak show the PokeDex to some random kid in the middle of a radio show. Also the publish dates for GSC and RS somewhat gives us a hint that the author already has played RS and knew that Ruby/Sapphire came from a faraway region (Possibly Hoenn) and therefore gave us some kind of teaser at the end of GSC to show that Ruby was already versed with Pokemon Battles.

Not sure though, just a theory in the vast inconsistencies of the Pokemon World.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2009
    Okay, cheers guys. Yeah it couldn't be Emerald because Wally sends the Pokedex back to Birch, so yeah. I think I'll just take it as the theory that they wanted to cameo the game's intro.
    Although Ruby-chan has a sort-of plausible theory, heh.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    Yeah, but the thing is, that the Pokedex Holders we know are special because they are Pokedex Holders (probably the only ones in the world). If there were more Dex Holders, then our beloved characters wouldn't be so special (they would be considered as ordinary Trainers). But they are NOT considered as normal trainers, they are the biggest 13, they are an ELITE!

That's why that kid is so... bugging.

And no, you're not right. There is 3 years gap between GSC and RS, and then, 2 years between RS and E.

So, Emerald was apparently 6 during GSC saga.

It's impossible that the boy was Emerald. Stop dreaming.

I actually agree with you, but your times are wrong. There was only a one-year gap between GSC and RS, and only one more year between RS and E. If, as you say, there were 5 years between GSC and E, Red would be 19(!) whereas he is actually 16.

Other than that, though, your argument is good, it wouldn't make sense to have unknown Dex holders running about, and we've seen all 13 get their dexes, so there really is no explanation for this kid.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2008
    I think it was Wally. But then again its I think. I'm not really sure though.

Back