• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

attack difference

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
  • in many season of pokemon the animation of attacks changed example the jigglypuff chasing ash all over the kanto region's sing it's simply sing but in season 8 the wild jigglypuff fighting pikachu and loudred's sing was rainbow music notes with pink background

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Quick Attack used to be Pikachu dodging side to side and disappeared when it did was going side to side (from what I remember). It was a lot like the Quick Attack animation in GSC. Now Pikachu runs straight forward with a white line following it.

Strdstwanderer

Years
  • Quick Attack used to be Pikachu dodging side to side and disappeared when it did was going side to side (from what I remember). It was a lot like the Quick Attack animation in GSC. Now Pikachu runs straight forward with a white line following it.
    Pikachu is a powerpuff in pokemon season 1 and 2 psybeam was a simple attack of purple light but in season 6,7, and 8 it was a series of circles

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Electric attacks used to be strictly yellow or orange in the earlier seasons, but now they have changed it to blue for some pokemon. For example, Pachirisu, which might I add the blue sparks are a nice touch :)

Swift also use to be a flat attack move, but now thay have completely upgraded the design of the attack as well.

Desolation101

Trainer from beyond the stars!
    Years
  • shadow ball used to be a black ball that seemed to have some larger mass to it with just a light touch of purple bolts coming out, now shadowball is all purple and looks more like a blast of energy rather than a cannon ball thing.

THe bubbles on bubble beam used to be white with no variation now they look like actual bubbles

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • I have to disagree, about the bubblebeam part. The non-CGI bubblebeam attack looked more like they were fired with high-speed. The CGI version that is being applied these days is somehow lacking this kind of speed.

Desolation101

Trainer from beyond the stars!
    Years
  • although I agree about the speed factor, I feel that the non CGI bubbles lacked form, if there was a mix of the two it would be nicer

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Swift changed majorly. It's now all CGI animated instead of hand-drawn. As is BubbleBeam.

Jorah said:
    Quick Attack used to be Pikachu dodging side to side and disappeared when it did was going side to side (from what I remember). It was a lot like the Quick Attack animation in GSC. Now Pikachu runs straight forward with a white line following it.

Actually, that was Agility when Pikachu ran from side-to-side.​

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Agreed swift has changed a lot. Oh and vine whip I believe has changed as well. I guess it is because when there is a new generation the animation attack moves upgrade, it's like Pikachu and Ash. Ash and Pikachu use to look way different back with Misty, now they are totally different. ':)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I believe Whirl Pool has taken a new look in the show as well, and not a bad change either.

f l a s h

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Thunder used to be treated all special, and you'd rarely ever see it used. Then when you DID see it used by Pikachu, or anything else, it was like "OHSHI-- O__O" ...now it looks like about the same as Thunder Bolt.

Also.. still on the 'Electric' topic, originally Raichu's thunderbolt attack was orange, I suppose to magnify how powerful it was supposed to look next to Pikachu's own. That was only for that one episode, Electric Shock Showdown, but I still thought it was pretty neat. Ever since that one, Raichu's electric attacks have gone back to normal yellow color. :/ Or.. I suppose blue, in some occasions.

Strdstwanderer

Years
  • i think seismic toss changed too it use to be the pokemon throwing the other pokemon would jump then before falling and throwing the othr pokemon it will make loop then the image of the earth will appear as demonstrated by machoke and charizard in the first 5 season now i think it's just jumping up then throwing the enemy it's not a bad change cuz it makes more sense than the first attack animation

Sunflorazumarill

Look, it's Sunflorazumarill!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2012
    I know some examples of how the same move on a Pokémon tends to differ.

For example, in the episode Dueling Heroes, a Kingdra used Hydro Pump, and it happened to be a spiraling stream, but when Clair's Kingdra used Hydro Pump, it was a straight stream (both of these episodes were in Master Quest).

Another example is with Twister. When Kingdra uses it, it's like a water twister, but when Dragonite uses it, it's more of a wind twister.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    from the Johto Region all the way to when Ash battled Morison in the Ever Grande Conference (Hoenn Pokemon League), Dragonbreath looked like a blast of green fire, but when Morison's Steelix used Dragonbreath, it looked like a silver blast of energy ( or wind)

And not to mention Dragon Rage is probably one of the only moves, that has a varied looked depending on the Pokemon

Arcanine in the Indigo Conference, it looked like a huge cyclone of water

Jame's Gyarados after he threw the Magikarp in the ocean after the SS Anne got destroyed and it evolved, is it me or when it did Dragon Rage, 3 more Gyarados appeared and they all swirled around creating a cyclone of water

Ash's Charizard: A huge swirling ball of fire

Fire Blast, when Blaine's Magmar used it, which was the first time it was seen in the whole anime, it looked like the kanji (Dai大), but when Tucker's Arcanine did it it looked like 5 blast of fire emerging from his body

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Bubble beam was once blue, then orange, then blue again.

Ice beam was once white, now light blue.

Water gun used to be kinda thin but it seems a lot more powerful and thicker these days.

Back