• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Back Sprite Palette Failure?

PKMN Trainer Envy

"Time waits for no man."
Years
  • Hello, fellow hackers. I'm having a very strange issue with my Pokemon Ruby ROM Hack in which my custom back sprite palette bugs out in-game. I've listed some pictures below that will better explain my situation. Additional note; I have made sure the palettes for both the back sprite AND the regular sprite are exactly the same and in the exact same order. Any and all help with fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my sprite and back sprite as seen in NSE 2.0:
    8jqtj

GODFy

Here's the regular sprite in unLZ:
    yslSL

Here's the regular sprite in-game:
    Oq4I4

And here's the failed back sprite in-game:
    PJ7Aw

Thanks in advance... I have no idea what I've done wrong here. This is a huge setback, as I can't release the finished ROM Hack until this is resolved!

Last edited:

PKMN Trainer Envy

"Time waits for no man."
    Years
  • Is the sprite indexed? That maybe the problem.

Yes, they are both indexed. I thought initially that maybe it was the size that was the issue, as I had to do 8x32 in NSE for the back sprite for the four frames, yet I don't know how else to put the back sprite into the game. Fire Red ROMs don't seem to have the same issue since you do them one sprite\frame at a time, I just don't want to have to start this whole thing over on a FR ROM over something like this, you know?

Ascalon-The Last Dragon

The Last Warrior...The Last Saviour...The Last Dra
    Years
  • Yes, they are both indexed. I thought initially that maybe it was the size that was the issue, as I had to do 8x32 in NSE for the back sprite for the four frames, yet I don't know how else to put the back sprite into the game. Fire Red ROMs don't seem to have the same issue since you do them one sprite\frame at a time, I just don't want to have to start this whole thing over on a FR ROM over something like this, you know?

I feel ya man,I'd hate for you to have to start it over from scratch... I've done some looking,and I think it may stem from what version of NSE you are using. Tell me what version your useing and then I'll try to look into your problem more.

PKMN Trainer Envy

"Time waits for no man."
    Years
  • I feel ya man,I'd hate for you to have to start it over from scratch... I've done some looking,and I think it may stem from what version of NSE you are using. Tell me what version your useing and then I'll try to look into your problem more.

Yeah... It would be a huge bummer, but if I do have to do it, then it is what it is. It's NSE 2.0. I didn't even think about using a different version. Thanks for taking your time for this, buddy. It's certainly appreciated.

Ascalon-The Last Dragon

Years
  • Yeah... It would be a huge bummer, but if I do have to do it, then it is what it is. It's NSE 2.0. I didn't even think about using a different version. Thanks for taking your time for this, buddy. It's certainly appreciated.

I know it's late but I've been looking around for ya.

Ok,I'm going to need you to send me your custom back sprite to me via e-mail. My e-mail address is [email protected]. (Don't ask about it. It's a very old e-mail I've had for a while.)

I'm going to try to replicate what you did with the tools you used and see if I get the same result. If I see first-hand what's going on,I can solve the problem easier.

I'm 75% sure it's the NSE Version you use. You see,Version 2.0 (and unLZ for that matter) has a history of bugging or glitching the R,S,and Emerald in-game sprites. I don't know why it does it or why it was never fixed,but that's besides the fact.

And your welcome. I enjoy helping people in any way,shape or form. Although I'm still new to ROM hacking,I studied for quite a while about it,and know alot of things.

And if it does come down to you having to remake it-I will gladly help you in anyway I can. I'm good at mapping,cry editing,intro editing,etc. I'm still a novice at scripting though. Out of 100,I am 51% at Hex editing/scripting but that dosen't mean I can't edit. ( Jesus Christ I sounded like I was giving a job interview there...)

I was working on my own ROM hack,but I couldn't get everything right by myself so I had to scrape it. I got 57% of it done before I had to quit,which is quite a shame. But like I said,I don't know everything YET. I was,and still am,looking for people to join a team to build the hack I want to make.

I got carried away there,sorry. Like I said,send me the custom back sprite via e-mail at [email protected]. I have an idea about how to solve the problem,but I have to test it first.

Last edited:

PKMN Trainer Envy

"Time waits for no man."
    Years
  • I know it's late but I've been looking around for ya.

Ok,I'm going to need you to send me your custom back sprite to me via e-mail. My e-mail address is [email protected]. (Don't ask about it. It's a very old e-mail I've had for a while.)

I'm going to try to replicate what you did with the tools you used and see if I get the same result. If I see first-hand what's going on,I can solve the problem easier.

I'm 75% sure it's the NSE Version you use. You see,Version 2.0 (and unLZ for that matter) has a history of bugging or glitching the R,S,and Emerald in-game sprites. I don't know why it does it or why it was never fixed,but that's besides the fact.

And your welcome. I enjoy helping people in any way,shape or form. Although I'm still new to ROM hacking,I studied for quite a while about it,and know alot of things.

And if it does come down to you having to remake it-I will gladly help you in anyway I can. I'm good at mapping,cry editing,intro editing,etc. I'm still a novice at scripting though. Out of 100,I am 51% at Hex editing/scripting but that dosen't mean I can't edit. ( Jesus Christ I sounded like I was giving a job interview there...)

I was working on my own ROM hack,but I couldn't get everything right by myself so I had to scrape it. I got 57% of it done before I had to quit,which is quite a shame. But like I said,I don't know everything YET. I was,and still am,looking for people to join a team to build the hack I want to make.

I got carried away there,sorry. Like I said,send me the custom back sprite via e-mail at [email protected]. I have an idea about how to solve the problem,but I have to test it first.

Wow, you're awesome. I can tell you're better than I am with this sort of thing based on how late we both stayed up for this. xD Needless to say, I was in bed before you sent this! Sorry about that!

Okay, I'll send you the sprite as well as the back sprite after this post. Thanks again for helping me out with this! (Also, don't worry about the e-mail. xD I think it's a good one, considering how old it is!)

I actually am working on another one (just in case this one is done for) and have a pretty good idea what the basis of the game will be in the end phases. I'll send some info about that your way (via e-mail) as well and if it's something you'd be interested in, I'm all about it!

I would also love to help you complete your ROM if it's possible. Some background on what I know so far would be... ; Sprite Editing/Creating/Indexing/Inserting (I think I make some pretty good ones, but that's my opinion), Scripting (I'm probably at 70% or so with that), Map Editing (100% here), and OverWorld Spriting as well. I haven't played with cries at all, and I've looked into adding music files into my roms, but Sappy doesn't work on my computer for some reason, so that's out. :c I don't do too well with intro editing either, but I'm working on it. Also currently learning how to change the Title Screen.

And hey, I didn't see it as you getting carried away, so no trouble at all! I enjoyed learning more about your story/history with these fun hacking shenanigans. Of course, I would also love to help you as well in any way I can. Thanks for being awesome, Ascalon. :D

Ascalon-The Last Dragon

Years
  • I've already figured out the problem. It's the pallete. I'm working on a solution now. Give me time ,Please. Thanks for being patient

Back