• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

What I object to is the way the industry treats its customers; I despise the corporate culture that comes with the so-called AAA status. There is absolutely no care whatsoever for the customer - who they owe their success to for buying their games, might I add - and the entire thing becomes half-arsed and entirely money driven.

It's great if a developer succeeds, because that gives them the opportunity to keep succeeding, and to release more games which, in turn, keeps their customers happy. It does NOT give them an excuse to rest on their laurels and start churning out bullshit, which is what always happens with AAA developers. Regular status updates about title progress become empty promises about how "hyped" you should be. Additional content is cut and pasted into season passes and DLC that costs a fortune. Well thought-out, redesigned sequels become cookie cutters of previous instalments with fan pandering for a story - if there even IS a story - and gameplay that in no way progresses, so the entire thing stagnates. There is no care whatsoever for the customer. That is why I dislike the AAA industry. That is why I think the lot of them deserve to be slow-roasted under a fire until they learn to treat their fans with the care and respect that got them that status.

All they care about is money? That's fine. But all I care about is getting good games and, as I'm the one buying these things, my needs come before theirs: that's the whole reason they exist, to meet the needs of their audience. They're not going to get what they care about if I don't get what I care about, and they just don't get this. They think they can release anything and it'll sell as long as it has that logo on the box and enough money thrown into the advertising campaign on it. That's not how it should work. Unfortunately it does work, because there are millions of people who don't care about getting good games, or have ridiculously low standards, or never even think about these things because all they see is the logo attached to the title. That "it's [insert series here], so it must be good!" mentality.

But it's been proven that if you push hard enough the players will snap back and the response will be overwhelmingly negative. I hope they push their luck, because I think that is what it is going to take for some of them to come to their senses

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Did the girl who constantly give me shit about Dark Souls elitism just make a statement about "millions of people who don't care about getting good games, or have ridiculously low standards?"

Jesus H Christ.

pkmin3033

Did the girl who constantly give me shit about Dark Souls elitism just make a statement about "millions of people who don't care about getting good games, or have ridiculously low standards?"

Jesus H Christ.
    I did, live with it. The biggest difference between us is that I've never denied my hypocrisy when it's come up - like now. I have no problem with admitting it's a subjective matter. I never saw you do the same when I brought up Dark Souls hypothetically having an easy mode not being a bad thing, so I don't know where you're coming from calling ME out for something YOU'VE never admitted to...

Regarding the "standards" comment. Surely that's an opinion and will be different for each person? You will look for something ENTIRELY different to myself when it comes to a game so labelling with "low standards" is a bit harsh as I could the say the same about yourself and yourself about I.
    Of course it's a subjective matter, I never claimed it wasn't. That's just how I see it; I'm fully aware other people will see it differently. I'm not claiming my opinion as fact...but nor do I think it's harsh; the AAA industry is perpetuated by the complete lack of concern in the target audience, and I think that's a problem. The problem is exacerbated even more by the gaming media who give these titles ridiculously high scores solely because they're part of a particular series.

The whole point is that subjective viewpoints are taken as gospel in the AAA industry, when it shouldn't be.

That said, the Indie scene is becoming bigger, so who knows, maybe the bigger players will start getting toppled over? The next big worry is Stream Greenlight and the trash that is spouting out......
    This is what I'm hoping for: with former big names within companies like Koji Igarashi taking to Kickstarter to create games without the corporate bullshit involved in the AAA industry, I'm hoping it'll become less of a thing as time goes by.

The thing about big-name publishers, as I've said, is that they don't need to vary their title very much, because they'll sell a lot regardless. Smaller developers need to really make their games stand out if they want to make money; they're what is pushing the industry forward, as they need to actually put some effort into making their games appealing, and effort usually pays off. I'm hoping they'll put these so-called AAA titans in their place in due time, because they're resting on their laurels and stagnating by releasing the same game over and over on an almost annual basis, padding it out with DLC and trying to squeeze every last penny out through microtransactions. They'll get their comeuppance soon enough, I would hope. It's already happened in some areas as it is.

Sir Codin

Pretty much all I'm getting out of this is "if a game has a certain amount of money thrown at it, it's going to be of poor quality."

Because that's what AAA means: the size of the development team and it's budget. That's it.

That really isn't an indicator of quality. You seem to be forgetting about supply and demand. If people demand a new game in a big name series, it's going to happen. There are also numerous cases of when it's not really the developer's fault but the publishers giving BS demands and unreasonable timetables. This got worked around with DLC featuring cut content. I would've bought the hell out of a DLC for Knights of the Old Republic 2.

If you don't like it, then I say get the hell out, Mel, because I really don't appreciate you advocating the downfall of an industry that thousands of animators, programmers, and testers rely on to put food on the table. The company I'm applying for could probably be considered "AAA" (it's Blizzard Entertainment, btw) and if they give me a job as a game tester, that's the best damn chance I'll be given to get a career started and out of my parent's house.

Your logic can work in the opposite direction, too. A lot of games have next to no budget whatsoever and it ended up sucking. Thankfully this is less common nowadays with crowdfunding.

Tl;dr: I'm going to punch something right now. CHRIST.

Last edited:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I don't want to live in a world without AAA games that's just filled with indie games. I mean lets be perfectly honest, but majority of indie games are trash. There's an occasional Shovel Knight and Shantae here and there, but most of the time it's just bad gimmick trash like Papers Please or Gone Home. The only decent Kickstarter projects are already made by people who worked for big companies, but even then you never know how things will turn out (see MN9).

And honestly, while I'm not obsessed with graphics, I love technological advances. I like seeing new trivial advances like hair physics or even fur in Witcher's case. Indie games are only holding everything back. I mean if I want to play a game that looks like an NES game, I'll just play an NES game. Don't get me wrong, I love 2D games with sprites, but indies just can't push pixel art forward and only make everything look like a shortcut. Look at Metal Slug from 90s or any SNK game. Those games were like a high point for pixelart and I wouldn't mind seeing more games looking like that. Instead indies rarely look like that, and just feel cheap.

I mean I don't know, I don't even play every game that gets released. Since MGSV's release I don't think I've played any new game except bits of SFV and XCOM2.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • OOOOH KAY VVIDYA GAMES! I SEE WHAT DIRECTION EVERYONE'S STARTING TO GET IN HERE! Time for me to unite everyone in one banner again.

Back to the Grind(stone)

Who's up to some Killing of some Norks!? What do i mean by Norks? NORTH KOREANS of course! Grab your favorite murdertool, whether it be something as American as a good ole M16A4, or a cute and cuddly SG550?, something as fantasy as a High Frequency Sword, or something improvised like a Plastic Bag. Or if you're a man like me, A double barreled super murdershotgun or the ever sultry, seductive, and easily attractive, PINK AK47:

Back to the Grind(stone)

Back to the Grind(stone)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...w-we-think-about-our-enemies-we-investigated/

AND REMEMBER LADIES, if they beg for mercy, Thats even more satisfying! RIP AND TEAR THEM EVEN FURTHER and watch them suffer! That's what every North Korean soldier deserves >:3. Savor every moment.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • No AAA games? Only Japanese games?!

Do I look like I want to live in a world with only Dating Sims?!?!

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • No AAA games? Only Japanese games?!

Do I look like I want to live in a world with only Dating Sims?!?!
    That sounds kind of ironic when western games seem to be full with that as well. I remember when Dragon Age 3 was being announced, and everyone's concern was which characters can be dated. And stuff like Huniepop are actually western games.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I'm actually honestly thinking of picking up the NES mini cause I'm for sure not lugging my collection up to Uni.

Sir Codin

Nintendo has announced that the mini NES might not be able to get more than those 30 games, but I don't think that's a set in stone decision yet.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Nintendo has announced that the mini NES might not be able to get more than those 30 games, but I don't think that's a set in stone decision yet.

The reaction to it is probably way more then they expected and I wouldn't be surprised if they realized through this that if they release Classic mini boxes with the option to download more games for each one they would make shit tons of money. Like people might not want to buy an entire Ninty Console for their VC line up, but the option to buy a GameBoy Mini with 50 games for like 60 bucks and then even more titles is too good to pass up. I personally for example will buy whatwver the NX is, but if I can buy a dedicated GB/GBA mini with a huge backlog of games to buy on the cheap, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Oh yeah. Here' MGS3 cutscenes remade in the Fox Engine.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUz-rSjcrIQ

For Pachinko. Thanks Konami!

Sir Codin

It's cheaper than Virtual Console, but more expensive than emulation.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    More expensive then emulation basically means actually paying for it then downloading fromt the internet for free. But I do believe people would pay for it despite this cause of the retronnostalgic hardware. Hell, I would even think if they DO get a GB/GBA mini out the door, it would be annofficial controller with HDMI out for android devices.

Sir Codin

I can understand that piracy hurts smaller companies and sales of newly released games. However, when you're Nintendo and you just released a Pokemon-themed phone application that's added billions of dollars to your company's net worth only a little over a week, then you really need to shut the fuck up about losing a little money here and there due to people downloading 30 year-old games that have long since done their job in terms of meeting profit margins.

And speaking of Pokemon Go:

Am I the only person on this forum site that thought that - from a public safety standpoint - Pokemon Go was a spectacularly terrible idea?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back