• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Backstory

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    i see... that's actually quite an interesting way of looking at it. rather than making sure your character acts appropriate to the predetermined history, you would leave blanks in their history in your mind and fill them in as you see fit, to ideally fit the character as you end up writing it. i might try that with one of my characters sometime... although i think i'd be afraid of seeming inconsistent, haha. i think i use the history as a strong defining factor for my character's personality, and if that isn't set in stone i might not be as secure in my portrayal of said character.

That's definitely the weakness, in that you don't have an anchor for their personality-- like there's nothing that causes their behavior to be the way it is, yet. But I mean- the character can always be a very good at faking their reactions for a reason to be decided later too LOL! "How far can you BS your way through the RP" is how I would refer to this method ; ) It's definitely interesting haha but going full blank on a character's history is not something I do every time that's for sure.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
    As I see it, a role-play takes place in the present and moves onward, so my focus and interest is in developing my character through interaction and introspection. Oftentimes people write a terribly detailed history for their character and it is rarely or sometimes never referenced from that point on. It gets treated as something that has happened in the past, and thus stays there. Seems like a waste and a hassle, so as for me, I will write a minimal history for my characters, unless the role-play I'm in relies heavily on things like lineage, relations with famous or otherwise very important persons, a specialized occupation that would require a more rounded explanation, or is one of those "help me get my memories back" stories where it's essential to the plot.

I don't need to write a complete history to justify my character's personality and actions. It's like when you meet a stranger for the first time and you notice their quirks and behavior. You do not know anything else about that person save what they present to you themselves. That's the kind of development I like: blind.

Some people say that they want to see a history because it's the applicant's writing sample. Recounting a list of events, to me, is about as helpful to understanding one's writing ability as reading the synopsis of a biopic. If you want a writing sample, ask for an excerpt involving the character doing something related to the plot of the story. Most people will write you a post in the form of a prologue. I think that's the best way to go about it.

Hexoc

Azumarill Lover
    Years
    I would have to say I'm somewhere inbetween.

If the character I'm building has a truly traumatic event in his past(typically does for some reason) I like to have his history focus on that event and it effects on the character. If this trauma is fairly recent based on the character's age, I tend to prefer other past events as the RP progresses.

If the character would be classified as a "villian", I tend to leave the backstory as vague as possible and unveil it as the RP progresses.

Sometimes I'll mix things up and be a bit "random" with the history, despite set events I would prefer. I don't mean just make up events that make no sense, I mean unveil some events that could explain actions in the backstory, and reveal others in the RP.

Back