• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Backwards Compatible?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I honestly would have no problem if there was no way to move my Pokemon onto the sixth generation games. Starting over is something I tend to enjoy so I'd build up again from there. In fact, I almost want X and Y to not be backwards compatible so I wouldn't be tempted to move my Pokemon over. 8D;

Talk to me when you have spent 245 hrs on heart gold ev training many pokemon
    Talk to me when you spent 30 hrs on platinum getting pokemon over to my heart gold
    Talk to me when you have spent a combine 70 hrs on gen 3 trying to get all the pokemon you can't get in gen 4 and a good natured feebas to evolve into a milotic
    Talk to me when you've spent $70 to import white from Japan so you can have access to japanese events

Talk to me whe. You have spent 400 hrs on white completing your Pokedex for the first time , trading for awesome female DW pokemon and ev train a ton of pokemon to give you over 200 wins on the GTS
    Talk to me when you spent $70 again to import Black 2 from Japan

Talk to me when you have spent 178 hrs on your white 2 completing close to everything
    TALK TO ME WHEN YOU CAPTURE OVER 300 PATRATS AND SPEND 8 HRS IN A ROW TRADING THE REST OF YOUR POKEMON TO WHITE 2 LOL!!!

No offense to you or anyone else but I hate when people say starting fresh is a good idea .

For me who have dedicated my childhood and part of my youg adulthood( only 23) it would be a slap in the face if I couldn't bring my pokemon forward

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Well the application I'm (and I beleive others are) thinking of is one is which you download your pokemon to the application where it's stored. Once you're done you could exit from the transfer from 5 game to App. Put in Gen 6 game and transfer them out. And so on. Hopefully there won't be a mini game this time as it sounds like enough of a hassle.

Edit: Though if there is no backwards compability then the chances of Gen 3 remakes (of Hoenn and maybe even another set for Kanto, and also Sinnoh for future gen...and so does Johto...) go up. For me that'll be bitter sweet as I wanted to have my old Hoenn Pokemon return to Hoenn in the remakes :(

At this point all 5 previous generations need to be graphically updated. That alone will call for remakes now. Gen 6 is leaps and bounds ahead of where Gen 5 was.

Talk to me when you have spent 245 hrs on heart gold ev training many pokemon
    Talk to me when you spent 30 hrs on platinum getting pokemon over to my heart gold
    Talk to me when you have spent a combine 70 hrs on gen 3 trying to get all the pokemon you can't get in gen 4 and a good natured feebas to evolve into a milotic
    Talk to me when you've spent $70 to import white from Japan so you can have access to japanese events

Talk to me whe. You have spent 400 hrs on white completing your Pokedex for the first time , trading for awesome female DW pokemon and ev train a ton of pokemon to give you over 200 wins on the GTS
    Talk to me when you spent $70 again to import Black 2 from Japan

Talk to me when you have spent 178 hrs on your white 2 completing close to everything
    TALK TO ME WHEN YOU CAPTURE OVER 300 PATRATS AND SPEND 8 HRS IN A ROW TRADING THE REST OF YOUR POKEMON TO WHITE 2 LOL!!!

No offense to you or anyone else but I hate when people say starting fresh is a good idea .

For me who have dedicated my childhood and part of my youg adulthood( only 23) it would be a slap in the face if I couldn't bring my pokemon forward

I have over 600 hours on Black alone and have almost 100 hours on Black 2, I've spent over 400 on gen 4 in total across 3 games (P/PT/SS) and 500 hours on Gen 3 games (E/FR). I would support a fresh start as it means we are all on equal grounds. We won't be able to port over the perfect Pokemon we made before hand, we can't AR new ones or link up to fraudulent GTS sites to create fake Pokemon. Everyone would be on equal ground competitively as we'd all have to start over and we wouldn't be able to abuse RNG for perfect Pokemon.

I also have still yet to complete anything on Black or Black 2. Don't have my Shiny Charm or Egg Charm on Black 2 and I'm still working on completing the pokedex. All of my Gen 3 and 4 games have been cleared of anything worth porting over with exception to my Soul Silver which I may never reset due to my poor Notch'd Ear Pichu who cannot be traded forwards.

If they want to do a competitive reset like they are trying to do, no backwards compatibility is the best thing they can do so far. Then release updated versions to carry over missing Pokemon.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    @ Xander well at least you understand the struggle.one of the things I loved about pokemon was that I was able to play it for ever. Now I didn't mind not being able to transfer to gen 3, and let's face it i was 12 and no where near completed the Pokedex . I just feel like we should be able to transfer .
    I know from experience that your very knowledgeable can you explain what would keep them from being able to transfer ?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    @ Xander well at least you understand the struggle.one of the things I loved about pokemon was that I was able to play it for ever. Now I didn't mind not being able to transfer to gen 3, and let's face it i was 12 and no where near completed the Pokedex . I just feel like we should be able to transfer .
    I know from experience that your very knowledgeable can you explain what would keep them from being able to transfer ?

Biggest issue is communication the 3DS Games have with DS titles. The Systems have been shown to have no issue communicating as we have a 3DS APP that interacts with DS titles, but its the hard coding in 3DS games that is the major hurdle they have to jump.

While App is most practical idea, money comes into play. Why would they support making it if we have to pay for it to transfer when transferring was always free? Nintendo to the best of my knowledge may force it as a pay for app, though they may run promotions to make it free which will be good for those with the game at the time but not so much later on.

Other issues is Gen 4 and 5 run on the same programming, but all previous games have only ever been able to go one backwards. If we can transfer from 5 why not 4? There really won't be any reasonable answer not that I believe this to even be a major issue to begin with. If they did do transfer from 4 then Gen 6 has the same transfer clause to not support remakes as Gen 5 has. Though this is more from fan point of view and not business.

Right now the only major hurdle as I said is that the games won't allow connection. Apps would be good but money option is a bad area to explore. A tag on item similar to the Pokewalker could be possible but then you have the "Oh I lost it." excuse.

Honestly I think what ever changes they are making on the PGL is going to be how we link up the Transfer. We'll still have both our Gen 5 games associated with our PGL accounts so there could be a wireless deposit box there for transfering to X and Y.

Basically we know that PGL is supposed to go down for nearly a month and come back up when the games release. That's unusually long IIRC. We already know that we can send Pokemon temporarily to the PGL when the dream world was up, but since they are taking the Dream World out entirely we have a lot of data space left. This could in turn be used for a new transfer system to allow registered cartridges to transfer to the new X and Y.

This would be a pretty good way to disable 4th Gen as they cannot register in the PGL like 5th Gen games could.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    At this point all 5 previous generations need to be graphically updated. That alone will call for remakes now. Gen 6 is leaps and bounds ahead of where Gen 5 was.

I have over 600 hours on Black alone and have almost 100 hours on Black 2, I've spent over 400 on gen 4 in total across 3 games (P/PT/SS) and 500 hours on Gen 3 games (E/FR). I would support a fresh start as it means we are all on equal grounds. We won't be able to port over the perfect Pokemon we made before hand, we can't AR new ones or link up to fraudulent GTS sites to create fake Pokemon. Everyone would be on equal ground competitively as we'd all have to start over and we wouldn't be able to abuse RNG for perfect Pokemon.

I also have still yet to complete anything on Black or Black 2. Don't have my Shiny Charm or Egg Charm on Black 2 and I'm still working on completing the pokedex. All of my Gen 3 and 4 games have been cleared of anything worth porting over with exception to my Soul Silver which I may never reset due to my poor Notch'd Ear Pichu who cannot be traded forwards.

If they want to do a competitive reset like they are trying to do, no backwards compatibility is the best thing they can do so far. Then release updated versions to carry over missing Pokemon.
    That's practically what I meant, though I forgot to mention Unova xD. Gen V should've looked like this had they waited some time...now that I think about it had B2W2 been for the 3DS a issue with trading would've existed like it does with transfer...

I spent 900 plus on Emerald, 700 on Platinum, 500 on Soulsilver, around 400 on White, and 300 on White 2...that a lot of time. Truthfully beyond the chances of remakes for all five generations going up the fact that lack of transfer would limit the number of cheat crafted Pokémon and make it more fair makes it bitter sweet.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    you have to be a fool to think they won't let you transfer. it would be impossible to complete the pokedex. stop fretting that your pokemon will be leaving you. WAKE UP.

Well if your not going to be polite then why bother posting? My posts weren't intended to be offensive and I'm sorry if you took them that way. I think that the fact that as of right now Pokemon X Version and Pokemon Y Version is not backwards compatible this close to release is enough reason to question if it's going to be. My intentions where to just discuss this issue and it could be done, if at all.

Also, I think the rest of the posts may be right. The only way it can work is some kind of stand alone application in which you can save the data onto the application. This would get around taking out a cartridge while your 3DS is still on and inserting another game. I'm not sure if a online thing would work as Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 weren't programmed to do this in game so there would have to be some way of doing it out of game, like a 3DS application.

I also wouldn't mind a complete restart as with school and everything I didn't have much time to play the games and was very young. Due to my youth I was also unable to purchase a lot of the games. Being equal competitively does sound appealing.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Well if your not going to be polite then why bother posting? My posts weren't intended to be offensive and I'm sorry if you took them that way. I think that the fact that as of right now Pokemon X Version and Pokemon Y Version is not backwards compatible this close to release is enough reason to question if it's going to be. My intentions where to just discuss this issue and it could be done, if at all.

Also, I think the rest of the posts may be right. The only way it can work is some kind of stand alone application in which you can save the data onto the application. This would get around taking out a cartridge while your 3DS is still on and inserting another game. I'm not sure if a online thing would work as Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 weren't programmed to do this in game so there would have to be some way of doing it out of game, like a 3DS application.

I also wouldn't mind a complete restart as with school and everything I didn't have much time to play the games and was very young. Due to my youth I was also unable to purchase a lot of the games. Being equal competitively does sound appealing.

An App isn't the only way. Like I said above we know they are overhauling PGL as well. That may be our new transfer method since Gen 5 games can be registered to PGL and it holds all of our data on there. Wouldn't say it is impossible for them to be able to put something together to allow us to transfer using the website.

Years
    I would assume there would be a new minigame like what pokemon black and white 2 did with the research lab and the bow and arrow pokemon game.

But on a different note if there is and they keep adding backwards compatibility I will have a like to gen 3 games to whatever gen they stop at (if they do)

Years
    An App isn't the only way. Like I said above we know they are overhauling PGL as well. That may be our new transfer method since Gen 5 games can be registered to PGL and it holds all of our data on there. Wouldn't say it is impossible for them to be able to put something together to allow us to transfer using the website.
    Irc Gen 5 games will no longer be able to connect to the PGL (or at least the majority of it's services) after certain dates. So that may not be the way they'll go.

Years
    This is gonna suck if there's no backwards compatability.

I don't understand why people think an app will involve having to take cartridges out while the disk is on. Simply insert b2/w2/etc in the slot, turn on the 3ds and open the app. Transfer the pokés then turn off the 3ds shove in the x/y cartridge and use the app to get them simpleee

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    The systems are now more advanced than they were before. And there is one thing the current systems now have that the previous systems didn't, Wireless communication. Even if the method would eventually be a form of using the internet to communicate, wireless communications allows for alot more possibilities than the wired system of simple trade between Gen1 and Gen2.

Years
    The systems are now more advanced than they were before. And there is one thing the current systems now have that the previous systems didn't, Wireless communication. Even if the method would eventually be a form of using the internet to communicate, wireless communications allows for alot more possibilities than the wired system of simple trade between Gen1 and Gen2.
    Not sure how accurate this is but I heard that the configuration for 3DS games and DS games are different so they can't link up by Wi-Fi.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Not sure how accurate this is but I heard that the configuration for 3DS games and DS games are different so they can't link up by Wi-Fi.

If that's true, I'm at a loss of what they are actually going to do as far as any sort of backwards compatibility. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time that games didn't have this included (the jump for GSC to RSE being the biggest standout since it was the first time), so I suppose it wouldn't be a giant deal. The only thing would be transferring Pokémon (but that's a whole entirely different topic to discuss) wouldn't be possible. I'd love X/Y to be backwards compatible, but if they weren't I wouldn't be heart broken either.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I guess I lack the technical knowledge to fully understand, but I just can't get past the idea that two, rather 'advanced' pieces of technology, both capable of WiFi capabilities, can't connect to each other at all in some way. I guess it just goes to show how backwards (ha!) Nintendo can be when it comes to their console technology nowadays. I really hope they figure something out.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I guess uploading your old Pokemon to the internet and saving this information in some sort of cloud may work. The only problems would be, requiring players to have Wi-Fi and storing all this information. I guess saving the data to the 3DS itself or the application may work. You could then power off your 3DS, take out your pokemon DS game, insert your pokemon 3DS game and be just fine.

But something seems off with that method. Something like this would have to be stored on a SD card correct? I'm not that knowledgeable either about this but I thought the 3DS saved to the game cartridge and stored temporary data only on the 3DS itself. I'm sorry that I don't know much about it. I don't own a 3DS yet so maybe someone can fill me in. I do believe the original DS was like this, I still have a fat silver DS and never bought any of the upgrades.

Years
    I guess uploading your old Pokemon to the internet and saving this information in some sort of cloud may work. The only problems would be, requiring players to have Wi-Fi and storing all this information. I guess saving the data to the 3DS itself or the application may work. You could then power off your 3DS, take out your pokemon DS game, insert your pokemon 3DS game and be just fine.

But something seems off with that method. Something like this would have to be stored on a SD card correct? I'm not that knowledgeable either about this but I thought the 3DS saved to the game cartridge and stored temporary data only on the 3DS itself. I'm sorry that I don't know much about it. I don't own a 3DS yet so maybe someone can fill me in. I do believe the original DS was like this, I still have a fat silver DS and never bought any of the upgrades.
    I think they could make it so that you don't have to turn off the power. It could just store them into the app and return to the 'starting page' of the app and you can put in the 3DS game you're transferring them to and then press the touch screen and a section called send appears which you can click on and they'll be transfer. Then you get them in game or have to play some mini game.

Yes the apps are usually stored in the SD card. Pokémon Radar works like that and can read the B2W2, and even notice when a Gen IV game is in the slot (having a Gen IV game allows one to capture the mascot of the game you put in with it's special ability, only after you capture all three therian forms though). So it's possible. Of course though it'll likely only be one way like the past two intergen transfers have been.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Well I have a question. At what point is it safe to conclude that Pokemon X and Y is not going to be backwards transferable? There are 62 days, essentially two months left, and there has been no announcement yet if it's going to be backwards compatible. Being that the game has to ship etc. at what point do you think we'll know? I don't think some so significant as backwards compatible will not be announced, and they'll just release the game without telling us. I would imagine they would announce it before they release the game.

I was only a little kid when Ruby and Sapphire came out. Do you know if there was announcement that the games wouldn't be backwards compatible before release?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Well I have a question. At what point is it safe to conclude that Pokemon X and Y is not going to be backwards transferable? There are 62 days, essentially two months left, and there has been no announcement yet if it's going to be backwards compatible. Being that the game has to ship etc. at what point do you think we'll know? I don't think some so significant as backwards compatible will not be announced, and they'll just release the game without telling us. I would imagine they would announce it before they release the game.

I was only a little kid when Ruby and Sapphire came out. Do you know if there was announcement that the games wouldn't be backwards compatible before release?

It's entirely possible that we won't even know until the games are released. It's also entirely possible we'll know ahead of time. There really isn't a good timeframe to set for it when pretty much everything is possible, and with Game Freak anything could happen. It was stated at E3 that the DS and the 3DS themselves can't communicate, but they were trying to figure out a way to link the two systems up. I guess we'll have to wait and see the results.

Years
    It's entirely possible that we won't even know until the games are released. It's also entirely possible we'll know ahead of time. There really isn't a good timeframe to set for it when pretty much everything is possible, and with Game Freak anything could happen. It was stated at E3 that the DS and the 3DS themselves can't communicate, but they were trying to figure out a way to link the two systems up. I guess we'll have to wait and see the results.

I sure hope they manage to find a way!

Back