• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bad EGG = MissingNo?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 25, 2004
    I just got a bad EGG trying to trade a Pokemon from my Ruby to my Sapphire. It was supposed to be a Raichu, but it ended up turning into a Bad EGG. I wonder if the bad EGG is a MissingNo or not? I think this was caused by a bad link cable. If the bad EGG does hatch, will it delete your game, or will it just hatch into another egg?

Nessie

The return of the star!
    Years
    Don't worry pal, there is not proof that bad egg can harm your game, it only uses one existent space in your boxes, so put it in a box, if you want to get rid of it, you can substitute it in the box1, space 1 for another pokemon (with a game shark).

This bad egg is produced by a gltch in game, or some people that make mistakes with GS,but it's not harmfull, and never hatch.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Bad Eggs can cause your game to regularly crash/hang. That's reason enough to get rid of them.

Bad Eggs are created when a Pok?mon's data is not properly encrypted. When the game tries to decrypt the data, it doesn't create a valid Pok?mon, so it puts a Bad Egg there instead. Since the game properly encrypts a Pok?mon's data when you catch it, I highly doubt that Bad Eggs could be created without the use of cheating devices, lest you traded while your battery was low (an unfinished monster would be traded, and hence, a Bad Egg).

As Nessie suggested, you should overwrite the Bad Egg with another Pok?mon created by a cheating device.

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    sometimes if your pokemon that you put in the daycare is holding an item it can turn out to be a bad egg,i tired it once with a pikachu holding a master ball and the egg hatched and my screen turned black

Nessie

The return of the star!
    Years
    Woaahh that is really weird, my bad eggs never hatched they appear as a result of my butterfingers with the game shark, but i deleted them later.

AdamHays

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2004
    thats what happend i saw something that said to do that to duplicate an item and that happend

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Bad Egg=Destoyed game if you use the fast egg hatch code on it for a LONG time. just leave your bad eggs alone.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Don't save your game if you get a Bad Egg from a code. If you somehow lose your head and save anyway, then use a correct code to overwrite the Bad Egg. It's as simple as that.

zsun_44

Just a member
    Years
    bad egg just simply destroys your game permanently. it usually occurs when you entered an invalid gameshark code. so if you have the bad egg, DO NOT hatch it. i wish there arent any bad eggs in emerald.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 25, 2004
    I know there's a Missingno in Ru/Sa, but it's only with Action Replay. (It looks like a Mac floppy disk with a question mark)

And, I really hope Emerald has all 386 Pokemon.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    zsun_44 said:
    i wish there arent any bad eggs in emerald.

HellishHades said:
    Bad Eggs are created when a Pok?mon's data is not properly encrypted. When the game tries to decrypt the data, it doesn't create a valid Pok?mon, so it puts a Bad Egg there instead.

There has to be Bad Eggs. What else would the game put in that Pok?mon's slot if it has invalid data? If a Pok?mon's data is not properly encrypted, then it could cause even more serious damage to your game if it were not displayed as a Bad Egg.

At least you can get rid of Bad Eggs, and they are isolated within that Pok?mon's data. You cannot do much with a Bad Egg (eggs period, for that matter); it's better to have Bad Eggs than to have strange variable values running about your game. Imagine what damage it could cause if you could take a corrupted Pok?mon into battle. You can't do such things with a Bad Egg, which makes them safer.

Last edited:

Nessie

The return of the star!
    Years
    HellishHades said:
    Imagine what damage it could cause if you could take a corrupted Pok?mon into battle. You can't do such things with a Bad Egg, which makes them safer.

Yes, there is always a good explanation for things, this should shut up those people that always cry ''nintendo created bad eggs because they want to punish us for use cheating devices!''. :badsmile:

Years
    You cheaters diserve it, cheating is for people who can't beat the game on their own. I mean seriously, pokemon is very easy to beat the game, but finishing the pokedex is a bit harder. Nintendo did the egg thing for money because you need both games for all pokemon.

It takes the fun out of it if you cheat...

Last edited:

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Breeding and/or catching a decent Pok?mon for battle is quite time-consuming in itself. EV and level training on top of that makes it even more time consuming to raise level 100 monsters. Restarting the game to get additional TMs and held items is another factor.

After I have beaten the game, I use the Action Replay to save me the time of raising proper level 100 Pok?mon, because I simply do not have hours upon hours of time to catch and train near-perfect Pok?mon. Cheating doesn't always have to take the fun out of a game.

Years
    I have 23 level 100 pokemon on Gold, without cheating.

Charizard, Feraligator, Blastoise, Pikachu, Flareon, Dragonite, Unknown Z, Menagium, Typhlosion, Lapras, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Scizor, Heracross, Pinsir, Shiny Gyrados, Shiny Rapidash, Mewtwo, Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos, Furret, and Ledian

Some of those were traded of course.

Nessie

The return of the star!
    Years
    Congratulations Jay, you earned this medal!! XD.

I only ''cheat'' (cheat?, cheat what? XD), to get TM's and some shiny's like Charizard (sorry, but i won't reset my game until i get a shiny charmander in fire red).So, well if you think is cheat is ok, but i like my shinys.

Years
    Uh dude, I mean a gameshark.

It dosn't matter if you reset like 500 times untill you get a shiny starter, I'm saying actualy hacking into the game to get 99 master balls and a full pokedex. It just takes all the fun out of wining.

Nessie

The return of the star!
    Years
    Jay said:
    It just takes all the fun out of wining.

I give that to you, you are right, but (there is always a but), when you had finished the game,and have the pokedex conplete since a year ago...the best thing is...raise teams, that's what i like, rise teams to go with friends and have fights, it's the only reason why i still have my ruby version, for the fights!.So, you must know that to raise teams one need many TM'S and stuff like that.

Years
    You don't need many tm's, most pokemon have good leveling up moves. My Sableye is at lvl 100 and is very good. I only used leveling moves, and I haven't lost a single battle.

Back