• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Barbie, Meet Lammily (AC/DC, Dorkly, Dovahbear) [Daily Bloggity Entry #31]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • TLRZtaL.png

Date: 24 March 2014
    Time: 2:19 PM ET
    Mood: Watching some baseball

Ever since the Barbie doll was first created in 1959 by Mattel Inc. for decades it has captured the hearts of millions for it's ability to become the signature toy for the female child. However in recent years Barbie has come under a lot of flak for it's disproportionate body and it's unrealistic nature, which has even spawned people to imitate themselves to look like a Barbie itself. Arguments have spurred that the doll itself had manipulated children into believing that women need to look this specific way of essentially anorexia. But thanks to a young artist and researcher by the name of Nicholas Lamm, he's going to give Barbie a run for it's money.

Daily Music - "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC
    Spoiler:
    The Lammily doll was a project set up by Mr. Lamm to promote a doll that has normal body proportions in response to Barbie's unreachable body dimensions. He had initially created a prototype of Lammily to compare and contrast the Barbie doll's proportions to a normal sized doll, but after many requests to create an actual line of the doll Lamm went into action. Teaming up with the former vice president of manufacturing for Mattel, Lamm Kickstarted the project which very rapidly (under a day after it's launch to be precise) raised the $95,000 needed to make it. With 11 days left until the Kickstarter ends, the Lammily doll has had the nation's support, raising $464,447, 489% of it's initial goal.

Daily Comic - "A Game of Skyrim Tag" by Julia Lepetit and Andrew Bridgman of Dorkly
    Spoiler:
    To put it into perspective, if Barbie was transformed into a real woman, "Barbie's 16 inch waist would be four inches thinner than her head - leaving her room for just a few inches of intestine and half a liver. She would be required to walk on her hands and feet, as her six inch ankles and vast missing areas of body would not be able to hold up her upright." In 1998 after furious campaigning by feminist advocates, Barbie's waist was made bigger and her bust smaller, but as you can tell she is still significantly out of proportion. Lamm went on to say that "rather than criticizing her, we should make a proof of concept to show that a doll can actually look good if she were a normal woman." The Lammily doll itself is modeled after an average 19 year old girl, and the clothes that it wears are normal and casual clothes to model a healthy lifestyle. It's feet are flat and not permanently curved to fit into high heels, and has little to no make up and moveable joints. The goal of the doll Lamm wanted was to provide girls a realistic model that a young woman can become instead of an unachievable and possibly damaging body like the one of Barbie's.

Daily Video - "Bear/Dovahbear" by animator Bowz
    Spoiler:
    According to Lamm, he wanted Lammily to promote "average is beautiful." Do you believe that the Lammily doll will be able to achieve this? Do you think that females across the nation will continue to back this project for their daughters? How do you think Mattel will respond to this? Would you yourself by a Lammily doll instead of a Barbie? Comment below as I'd love to hear and discuss with you about this topic!

If you would like to show your support for the Lammily doll, click here to go to their website

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:

Back