• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Frontier Ideas

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Current Topic: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6249651&postcount=8

Well, I've been thinking of BF ideas for a while now, and I decided to post a thread for other people to offer input. Basically, any ideas or opinions can be posted here, and I'll consider them. Any input is useful. :D Here's some of mine (some of it is Oppo's):

→ Since the Shoddy Get-Together tournament was successful, it could have the same point system. For people who didn't participate, everyone who win a battle earn 1 point, and if they lose 1 point if they lose a battle (if they lose a battle with 0 points, it won't decrease). Also, you would find battles on the PL/PO (whichever PC will have for 5th generation) server. Then, you can use these points to buy Pokémon, items, etc while you can chance ~20 points against a brain. The problem with this, is that it's too similar to the ladder in my opinion.

→ This would be my preferred way of running the BF. Like in the game, there is five facilities with different themes and brain for each. Then, it would have the same point system as the above, but everyone would have individual points for each facility. Once you reach a certain number of points, you would have to battle the brain. And if you win, you receive an emblem and/or some other prize (there would probably be separate emblems for each brain, and maybe an emblem for people who manage to beat all the brains). I would probably only keep open for month (or more) every ~3-4 months.

Also, this will not replace the league, it will be an addition to it. We will post the BF (and league revamp) when USA B/W is released (or a little after) to take advantage of the activity, since not many battle anymore or have a Japanese copy of B/W. Which means we have around a half year to discuss this. :3

Last edited:

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    I personally hated the points system for the Shoddy Get-Together. Would have been fine if you couldn't lose points, however. If you're going to do a Battle Frontier, just use the same points system that the actual Battle Frontier uses. Just make all wins +1 instead of +3 or whatever. Also, the points from every facility should be combined. Separate points for each facility is a little silly and rather bothersome to keep up with.

The League and Battle Frontier combined is a pretty sexy idea, though. I'll post some more suggestions when I actually give it some thought. I'm sure Oppo and I will discuss things as well, lol.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I personally hated the points system for the Shoddy Get-Together. Would have been fine if you couldn't lose points, however.
    At first, I agreed that this would probably be better, but then it would be too easy for people to buy stuff and in general. Then, Oppo suggested a rule that stops you from losing points after two losses, so people wouldn't have the fear of losing a lot of points.

Also, we could a separate point system (could be called experience) that rises one point every battle (and doesn't matter if you lose or win), and it would have useful items (such as the EV berries, Power items, etc), "not very competitive" items (like BlackGlasses, Plates, etc), shiny Pokémon that don't have good IVs, etc. That would be a treat for participating and people who aren't that good at battling. Then, there would be a shop that has stuff like Life Orb, Pokémon that have flawless IVs, etc and would use the actual points (that you use to get to the brains).

Also, the points from every facility should be combined. Separate points for each facility is a little silly and rather bothersome to keep up with.
    Then it would be too easy, and everyone could just battle in one facility then battle all the brains. That would give the people who want to battle with the "not-so-popular" themes a hard time finding a battle, especially when we don't have that big of a community.

The League and Battle Frontier combined is a pretty sexy idea, though. I'll post some more suggestions when I actually give it some thought. I'm sure Oppo and I will discuss things as well, lol.
    Thanks.

The most accurate way to do it is to use an elo or glicko 2 style ranking.
    Hmm, Oppo and I prefer the current point system. ELO can be abused by not battling anyone other than one person who battles normally (and wins most of the time). While that could be fixed by stopping rematches with the same person and all, I still like the simplified system more.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    To bump this:

Should everyone be forced to battle in each facility to battle all the brains? Or should everyone be able to just battle in one facility, then battle all the brains? The issue with the former is that it might be difficult to keep track of the points. Problem with the later, is that people who choose to battle in facilities that aren't popular will have trouble finding battles, and then would look for battles where everyone is (then that facility would lack activity).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Detox

I still want you to take into consideration the idea we talked about on MSN (the Battle Factory)

I have a feeling that it could work if we do it correctly :x.

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    To bump this:

Should everyone be forced to battle in each facility to battle all the brains? Or should everyone be able to just battle in one facility, then battle all the brains? The issue with the former is that it might be difficult to keep track of the points. Problem with the later, is that people who choose to battle in facilities that aren't popular will have trouble finding battles, and then would look for battles where everyone is (then that facility would lack activity).

Thoughts?

Everyone should be forced to have so many wins to battle each brain in their given facility.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I still want you to take into consideration the idea we talked about on MSN (the Battle Factory)

I have a feeling that it could work if we do it correctly :x.
    I'm thinking on how the BF would work first, then we'll start discussing themes. ;)

Detox

1. Get random pokemon out of the wild [IV's don't matter but we could breed some with good IV's if you want]

2. Randomize what users get what pokemon every time [bar the brain]

3. 3 on 3 singles or 4 on 4 doubles

4. Defeat 5 trainers [on second run fifth trainer is brain] on a run through

5. ????

6. Profit.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    1. Get random pokemon out of the wild [IV's don't matter but we could breed some with good IV's if you want]

2. Randomize what users get what pokemon every time [bar the brain]

3. 3 on 3 singles or 4 on 4 doubles

4. Defeat 5 trainers [on second run fifth trainer is brain] on a run through

5. ????

6. Profit.
    I mean how the actual BF would work, not the facility themes.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Actually, if you're gonna randomize what trainers get, it's probably better if you RNG it to have 0 IVs everywhere so no one's tempted to take your work and keep it for themselves. It would make it easier for trainers to return your pokemon or pass it to the next trainer. Mebbe.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I think something nice for the Battle Frontier would be certain events being unlocked when you get enough points, like a variable.

Let's say once you get 100 BF points, an experienced NPC trainer would trade you something cool, like a Pokemon with a Dream World ability.

Back