• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Frontier team moves

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Mar 25, 2012
    I mainly use Salamence, Flygon and Sceptile for the Battle Frontier. I just lost to Pike Queen Lucy so I decided I needed better strategies. Can you guys help with my moves?

Salamence (Level 60) (Effect: Intimidate) (Item: Leftovers)
    Nature: Bold
    HP: 221
    Attack: 164
    Defense: 125
    SPAtk: 164
    SPDef: 116
    Speed: 152
    Moves:
    Dragon Claw
    Strength
    Fly
    Dragonbreath

Flygon (Level 59) (Effect: Levitate)
    Nature: Docile
    HP: 175
    Attack: 145
    Defense: 111
    SPAtk: 139
    SPDef: 113
    Speed: 147
    Moves:
    Crunch
    Dragonbreath
    Rock Smash
    Fly

Sceptile (Level 59) (Effect: Overgrow)
    Nature: Hardy
    HP: 163
    Attack: 130
    Defense: 104
    SPAtk: 157
    SPDef: 125
    Speed: 182
    Moves:
    Leaf Blade
    Cut
    Flash
    Giga Drain

Some of these moves are crappy I know, just give me a replacement. :P

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Your first strategy is picking different Pokes. Your type coverage is EXTREMELY limited and having a huge Ice weakness isn't going to do much for you either. Not to mention your movesets, but you have already admitted that.

In order to be successful, you need a good physical attacker, a good special attacker, and a Poke that can take a few hits. A Normal resist Poke is always a big help as well. Salamence and Flygon are both excellent choices, but not together. Pick one or the other. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Sceptile is an okay choice, but it does limit you a bit, unless you have enough Battle Points to get its best moveset.

Fixes and suggestions in bold:
    I mainly use Salamence, Flygon and Sceptile for the Battle Frontier. I just lost to Pike Queen Lucy so I decided I needed better strategies. Can you guys help with my moves?

Salamence (Level 60) (Effect: Intimidate) (Item: Shell Bell / Lum Berry / Choice Band)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Moves:
    - Aerial Ace
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Rock Slide

I would get rid of Salamence since its nature ruins it. Sure it can be an effective special sweeper, but it won't be nearly as effective as it could be as a special sweeper. If you want to breed for a new one, make sure that it is ADAMANT and give it the moveset above. Listing a Pokes stats is unnecessary as we are all familiar with them. Showing the EVs though would definitely help. Also, NEVER stick those crappy HM moves not called Surf on your Pokes. Especially the craptacular two-turn one.

Flygon (Level 59) (Effect: Levitate) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spd / 16 SAtk
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

Moves:
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Quick Attack
    - Rock Slide

Ugh. Another bad nature. You really should breed one of these two. Also, a Flygon without a STAB Earthquake is a VERY sad Flygon indeed. Use the above moveset. Quick Attack is an Egg move, so since you should breed for JOLLY anyway, you might as well add it.

Sceptile (Level 59) (Effect: Overgrow) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

Moves:
    Leaf Blade
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Thunderpunch

Strike three. You will need to breed this one anyway, in order to get Leech Seed on there. Leftovers and Leech Seed allow you to basically use Substitute for free. Plus you have Thunderpunch and a STAB Leech Seed for damage. Not too bad, but imo just not good enough.

Some of these moves are crappy I know, just give me a replacement. :P
    I guess you could keep Sceptile and either Salamence or Flygon (breeded with better nature and moveset of course), and then add Suicune, Umbreon, or Milotic.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Mar 25, 2012
    To be honest, I don't believe in putting too much legendaries in my part. My only legendary in my party is Rayquaza.

Feebas is incredibly hard to get, which doesn't help at all, and I don't want to spend a lifetime trying to catch one.

I could try getting an Umbreon into my party, but my Fire Red game isn't enabled for Emerald yet. :P

Now, what does STAB mean?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    LOL Sorry, your second sentence directly contradicts your first one. Rayquaza is one of the strongest and cheap ubers in the game that you can ONLY get at Lv70. Suicune though, isn't nearly as powerful and is allowed in competitive play while Rayquaza is not. I despise using ubers as well, but Pokes like Zapdos and Suicune are not much better statistically than Pokes like Snorlax and Salamence and are not considered ubers. It is your game though.

A good team takes work to get. That is one of the main reasons why I still like this game after all these years. Especially with the third generation, if you work hard enough you are rewarded with a really good Poke. It took about five hours of game time (spread out over a much longer period of time) for me to find my Feebas. It was worth it though. You don't have to take my suggestions. It is, again, your game and your team. You can keep trying to win with three Pokes that share the same weaknesses.

STAB stands for Same Type Attack Bonus. When a Poke uses an attack that is the same type as it is, it receives a 1.5x bonus. For example, if your Flygon used Earthquake, instead of it being the regular 100 Attack Power, it would be 150. An Earthquake from Flygon kills a lot of Pokes.

Back