• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Battling the Enemy Within" Episode Discussion

Years
    Here is where you can discuss the introduction of the final Frontier Brain, Brandon, in a case of possession gone amuck in the spectral "Battling the Enemy Within".

My review to come forthwith.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I liked it! I was worried that PUSA would butcher it and take out Ash being possessed, but I was wrong. Ash finally didn't get to win instantly, and has to wait. That makes me happy xD. I like how he got possessed, very unique in how taht happened. The battle moves he used, was cool, but evil. Like how his sceptile hid behind the referey (spelling?)

Team Rocket didn't seem to do much in this episode though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    NO!!!

Again I wasn't first...

NO!!!

...That bugged me about the episode--Brandon's voice sounded more appropriate for an announcer than a Frontier Brain.

NO!!!

And they actually changed Ash's voice when he was posessed...I was looking forward to Sarah doing it (as it REQUIRED emotion)...

NO!!!

But Ash...was just an idiot, helping that guy like he was, hinting at Pokemon and moves...

NO!!!

Well, now we have an excuse for more filler, trying to find the Battle Pyramid again.

NO!!!

(end running gag)

NO!!!

(NOW end)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    >> I've been waiting to see it since I saw the Japanese version...and I missed it. As far as I can tell it won't rerun for a very long time either...

T-T

...I wonder if anyone will put it on YouTube, or a Torrent...

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
    Yay for the No's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -falls over-

I just watched the episode -since I recorded it earlier- and the voices were pretty much unsatisfied for me. >.<

Brandon - Sounds like a surfer dude, In my opinion.

Referie(sp?) - Sounds like he's from texas.. -shot- in my opinion. ^^;

Evil Ash - Some cranky old evil professor that doesn't sound that evil >.<

Soo anyway......yeah..that's all I've got to say..*goes off to watch the Japanese version again*

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    It was kinda painful to see Ash like that. It was also scary too.

While Ash was battling I was wondering how many of those moves would Ash actually do. I mean he has battle before and use different moves and different stratgies like when he told Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on the lights at the Battle Tower but hasn't he ever told a pokemon to shot at the roof to make rocks fall? Also wouldn't Ash also search out a Pokemon weak point and would tell one of them to attack like in the leg in this episode to weaken to beat it like back in the Hoenn Championship with Tyson's Metagross.

It was ashame how the battle ended but I just can't wait for the rematch!!!

IT CAN FLY!!!! I knew the Battle Primide could fly but still it so coolie to see it.

Ho-oh. This is the third time Ash has seen Ho-oh but what about the legend of pure of heart? How come May could have seen it?

It was a scary episode. I like it but the whole Ash being posse thing scared me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    it was .... really scary! O_O

it reminded me of a yu-gi-oh episode... >.< I wish the origional VA's were here for this one!... i wanted to see how Ash would sound origionally if he turned evil.

Ho-Oh came again ^^ that was cool. but kinda random. The fact that everyone got to see it with Ash, took away how special it is.... well IMO.

Team Rocket was funny tho. I luved them.

It was a good episode. very different. :3

Years
    it reminded me of a yu-gi-oh episode... >.<

Actually, it was more Indiana Jones based with the statues triggering the traps and the boulders of doom racing down on everyone, plus Brandon's rugged looks. Still, nice non cookie-cutter plot, (it's cliched but not when you compare to the rest of the series) but the one thing that gnawed me is the voice acting (because everyone is bringing it up): since it's clear the possession voice was different, why did Spectile still obeyed Ash? Unless Rika M also did the King's voice in the Japanese version and thus that's why the tree lizard obeyed, despite it all.

When Dogasu does the comparison, we'll find out. Heh.

Actual mini-review later. Whee.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I forget, did the posession last for one episode, or two? ><;;
    I was kinda hoping for two, that way I could see part of it tonight...but I think tonight is just the rematch...

Years
    Nope, just the one appearance. Although, I wouldn't mind to have the King back as we need more disembodied voices...besides Mewtwo. Shifty eyes.

Ari-chan

hypnotizing
    Years
    since it's clear the possession voice was different, why did Spectile still obeyed Ash? Unless Rika M also did the King's voice in the Japanese version and thus that's why the tree lizard obeyed, despite it all.

When Dogasu does the comparison, we'll find out. Heh.

Actual mini-review later. Whee.

The voice for the King in the Japanese version was also dissembodied, and it was a very deep voice too, even deeper then the dub. Would have been neat to here Rika M. do the voice for the King though, as I could see her using her Yami Bokura voice for Satoshi.

I loved this episode, as much as Brandon's "nooo!" got on my nerves. Great change of pace for this series. I personally liked the dub for this episode, Sarah seems to be getting better at her Ash a little, though she still has a way to go before perfect, for me anyway. Brandon voice seemed a tad to young to me, but overall I was fine with it. The King was good to me as well, I thought it fit.

Years
    Usually when we get an Arrogant Ash story, it had been building up for a few episodes before Ash gets taken down a peg or two. This one seemed to happen almost overnight. Still, I liked the story and loved the flying Battle Pyramid. Looking forward to a rematch, but first it's Grand Festival Time. Go May, I'm rooting for you!

Years
    Usually when we get an Arrogant Ash story, it had been building up for a few episodes before Ash gets taken down a peg or two. This one seemed to happen almost overnight.

I noticed that as well, but that was the same flaw with "Vanity Affair" in which there was equally no foreshadowing/alluding to that effect. So at least the producers are consistent in that respect? And both episodes also featured a video game canon character! This is getting spooky.

Years
    Who, May? Then by that logic you could say that EVERY SINGLE Kanto episode has a canon character in it (Brock)...

I meant the introduction of a canon character (in my reference to Vanity Affair, I'd like to think the connection to Hoenn Elite Four Drake was obvious enough), silly boy. Satisfied? Heh.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    DoubleWide said:
    Usually when we get an Arrogant Ash story, it had been building up for a few episodes before Ash gets taken down a peg or two. This one seemed to happen almost overnight.

I agree, I noticed that he was acting alittle different myself.... it bothered me. *finally saw it on YouTube*
    Also he just kinda rushed into the room with 'Ho-oh' and didn't even give it a second though.
    I found that odd... >>
    It bothered me awhile back with the Japanese version as well..

Back