• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] Been here over a year, but here's an intro thread anyway.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Hi, I'm Explorer of Time, and I've been here for a little while, but I realized I never got around to making an introduction thread when I first signed up here. I'm a huge fan of Monotype teams and other challenges where you restrict team composition, and I've run the forum's Monotype Challenge thread since the beginning of this year.

I got back into Pokemon a couple years ago when I first learned how to emulate, and by extension start playing new playthroughs without overwriting old saves, and I've had an absolute blast replaying all my old games. There's so many challenges I want to do and games/romhacks to play and not enough time, haha.

Feel free to ask me any questions you want.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    Hi there! Never too late for an intro thread.

I've got three questions:

1. Favorite Monotype team you've had?
    2. Favorite Pokemon game?
    3. Hardest challenge run you've played?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    1. Favorite Monotype team you've had?

Hmmm. Of the seven monotype runs I've completed so far, my favorite would probably be my mono-Poison run of Crystal, since I had really early access to a lot of good Pokemon, five Poison-types before the 1st gym (including half my final team) and a complete team of six before the third gym. I ended up taking a team of Victreebel/Gengar/Crobat/Tentacruel/Venomoth/Nidoking all the way to Red, who I beat in an epic battle with a really underleveled team. (My highest level Pokemon at the time I started the battle was Lv. 50)

I do have a soft spot for my Charizard/Butterfree/Gyarados/Dragonite/Fearow/Aerodactyl team from Red, though, since it's my very first monotype team since I got back into Pokemon.

That being said, I still haven't gotten around to doing a monotype of my favorite type, Ghost, so I might have a new favorite once that's done.

2. Favorite Pokemon game?

I know I'm a bit biased since I started with it, but Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Hoenn is a wonderful region with a beautiful environment and lots of interesting places to explore, Gen 3 has my favorite graphical style, the soundtrack is amazing, and I love making Secret Bases in my favorite routes. Platinum would be a close second, though.

3. Hardest challenge run you've played?

This would actually not be a monotype run, but the recent GT2023 challenge I did most recently. I had to swap out my Pokemon really frequently, using 28 different Pokemon evolutionary lines across the game, and as a result I never really got the chance to learn how to use some of my Pokemon as effectively as I usually do.

If you extend challenge runs to ones I tried but never actually completed, I'd say the hardest was a Nuzlocke* I attempted of a randomized FireRed. I ended up actually losing this really early, since my first opponent in Viridian Forest got a Togepi with Metronome, which turned into Dragon Rage twice and 1HKOed two of my team members, and my last Pokemon didn't survive the battle either. Afterwards, I decided Nuzlockes weren't for me and continued the game without any challenge restrictions.

*Standard Nuzlocke rules, but without the dupes clause since I don't mind duplicates, or the nickname clause because I don't like to nickname my Pokemon.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    Hmmm. Of the seven monotype runs I've completed so far, my favorite would probably be my mono-Poison run of Crystal, since I had really early access to a lot of good Pokemon, five Poison-types before the 1st gym (including half my final team) and a complete team of six before the third gym. I ended up taking a team of Victreebel/Gengar/Crobat/Tentacruel/Venomoth/Nidoking all the way to Red, who I beat in an epic battle with a really underleveled team. (My highest level Pokemon at the time I started the battle was Lv. 50)

I do have a soft spot for my Charizard/Butterfree/Gyarados/Dragonite/Fearow/Aerodactyl team from Red, though, since it's my very first monotype team since I got back into Pokemon.

That being said, I still haven't gotten around to doing a monotype of my favorite type, Ghost, so I might have a new favorite once that's done.

Cool! And a very impressive win against Red with that Poison team.

Do you know what game you're going to do your Ghost challenge run in?

I know I'm a bit biased since I started with it, but Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Hoenn is a wonderful region with a beautiful environment and lots of interesting places to explore, Gen 3 has my favorite graphical style, the soundtrack is amazing, and I love making Secret Bases in my favorite routes. Platinum would be a close second, though.

I haven't had the chance to play the original Gen 3 games, but I have played OR/AS, and I must say, the region was very beautiful.

This would actually not be a monotype run, but the recent GT2023 challenge I did most recently. I had to swap out my Pokemon really frequently, using 28 different Pokemon evolutionary lines across the game, and as a result I never really got the chance to learn how to use some of my Pokemon as effectively as I usually do.

If you extend challenge runs to ones I tried but never actually completed, I'd say the hardest was a Nuzlocke* I attempted of a randomized FireRed. I ended up actually losing this really early, since my first opponent in Viridian Forest got a Togepi with Metronome, which turned into Dragon Rage twice and 1HKOed two of my team members, and my last Pokemon didn't survive the battle either. Afterwards, I decided Nuzlockes weren't for me and continued the game without any challenge restrictions.

*Standard Nuzlocke rules, but without the dupes clause since I don't mind duplicates, or the nickname clause because I don't like to nickname my Pokemon.

I had a really great time with the GT's challenge, but I also didn't have to use 28 different evo lines for my run. Sounds pretty interesting to try out though.
    And as far as Nuzlockes are concerned, doing your first one as a randomizer... May have been a bit much. But if they aren't for you, then that's fair enough.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Do you know what game you're going to do your Ghost challenge run in?

Assuming everything goes according to my current plan, my first Ghost run will also be my first run of Sun, with a final team of Decidueye, Mimikyu, Palossand, Chandelure, Froslass, and Drifblim. I do plan to do more monotypes even after I do all the types once, though, so this probably won't be my only Ghost run.

Years
    Hi, I'm Explorer of Time, and I've been here for a little while, but I realized I never got around to making an introduction thread when I first signed up here. I'm a huge fan of Monotype teams and other challenges where you restrict team composition, and I've run the forum's Monotype Challenge thread since the beginning of this year.

I got back into Pokemon a couple years ago when I first learned how to emulate, and by extension start playing new playthroughs without overwriting old saves, and I've had an absolute blast replaying all my old games. There's so many challenges I want to do and games/romhacks to play and not enough time, haha.

Feel free to ask me any questions you want.

Hello! Have you played Zeta / Omicron, Solar Light - Lunar Dark, Insurgence, Reborn (this one is a great challenge!) ?
    If you haven't, I definitely recommend giving them a try!

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
    Howdy! I think challenges are a fun way to spice up playthroughs of old games. Have you ever considered something funny like a mono-species run (6 of the same)? Would that even be possible or fun?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Hello! Have you played Zeta / Omicron, Solar Light - Lunar Dark, Insurgence, Reborn (this one is a great challenge!) ?
    If you haven't, I definitely recommend giving them a try!

I have not, yet, but I do plan to eventually try all of these. Reborn's actually third on my list (behind Xenoverse and Infinite Fusion) after I beat the monotypes I'm doing of the official games, and I plan to do monotype runs of the other three as well.

Howdy! I think challenges are a fun way to spice up playthroughs of old games. Have you ever considered something funny like a mono-species run (6 of the same)? Would that even be possible or fun?

One thing I eventually plan to do, at some point, is to play through every official region with a mono-Ghost team. For the Kanto game I pick, this will, by necessity, involve a team of six Gengar. This'll be a few years off, though.

Years
    Hello!
    I never made an intro thread either. I just slid into the trade corner one day to finish my Dex in Shield and then just kinda kept hanging around the forums ever since =P
    I've not yet done a Monotype, but I do want to one day do an Ice type monotype. Might be a while before I get around to it though.

What's the most unusual team you've ever had? Like a team where you had several mons you'd normally not use, but for a challenge took them onto your team?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    What's the most unusual team you've ever had? Like a team where you had several mons you'd normally not use, but for a challenge took them onto your team?

I'd say my mono-Normal run of FireRed. I usually prefer dual types, but this time, since the only other options were Normal/Flying, and I'd already done a mono-Flying run of Red, I decided to use only single-type Normal Pokemon. My final team was Raticate, Wigglytuff, Clefable, Snorlax, Kangaskhan, and Tauros, and I also used a second Rattata for a little while in the early game.

Last edited:
    Back