• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concept: Been thinking of making a PMD fangame. Are my ideas feasable?

aGoodCabinet

Im new. Please don't kill me
Years
  • Okay so i wanna make a PMD fangame. Here are some somewhat unique aspects and mechanics of the game that I want to implement. Was hoping if someone can tell me if these mechanics can be coded/programmed/scripted:

1. No recruitment. Acquiring new Pokemon is done through quests, either main or side ones.

2. Pokemon cannot learn moves. Each playable Pokemon already has a set of 4 moves and 1 ability.

3. It is still turn-based but i want that thing in Arceus where it shows who goes next and/or last in a battle.

4. Some moves and abilities are made to be different from the original for more interesting gameplay (ex. Shadow Ball is projected in a path of 6-tile distance and 3-tile width, dealing damage to all enemies on the path). Moves that damage allies or lowers the users stats no longer do that unless stated otherwise.

5. Some Pokemon have their damage scaled from one of their stats (eg. Crustle's damage scales with his Defense stat)

6. Some moves have extra effects such as additional lowering of stats or statuses

7. I have came up with more statuses like the following:
    - Levitated or Lifted; Pokemon is lifted into the air, unable to perform any action or receive damage for 1 turn. Pokemon then falls back down, dealt 30% of their Missing HP in True
    Damage
    - Hastened; Pokemon can do actions twice for a certain duration
    - Blinded; Pokemon have their Accuracy halved for a certain duration
    - Exposed; Pokemon are 30% more likely to take a Crit Hit
    - Shielded; Pokemon has a shield with its own HP for a certain duration

8. Some Pokemon can also "mark" targets hit, giving them either a debuff or an effect when allies hit a "marked" target

9. Some Pokemon can also create structures that lasts for a certain duration and do something (eg, a turret placed on a single tile that deals AoE damage within a 5x5 tile area around it every turn for 5 turns). Sometimes these structures block movement, taunt enemies, or be destroyed.

10. I created something called Leader Passives where if a playable Pokemon is at the front of the party, their Leader Passive is activated to give benefits during a dungeon run

11. Playable Pokemon have what i call a Super Move, that is basically a very strong attack that requires the Super Energy Bar to be filled. Super Energy comes from using moves and killing enemies

12. Enemies are harder to kill, and there are bosses that have phases, high HP, and very strong and sometimes telegraphed attacks.

Latios

Editor of the Johto Times newsletter
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I like your ideas, and unfortunately I can't help you on the programming side, as it's not my area. However, you need to decide how realistic it is for you to create a game. What resources and time do you have, and will you need help in making it possible? I feel a good game would take a decade to create, from concept to completion, and then further updates and fixes. I hope one day to see this though, and cross my fingers that you can achieve it! Best of luck :)

Years
  • Currently, there are two options in making PMD games: SkyTemple, the rom hacking tool for Explorers of Sky, and PMDO, a PMD fangame made from scratch with extensive modding capabilities. Give those and their communities a look if you're interested.
    ----
    I have experience with SkyTemple, and for your mechanics idea, if you were making the game as an EOS rom hack with SkyTemple, they would be:
    1. No recruitment. Acquiring new Pokemon is done through quests, either main or side ones.
    Feasible, easy to do.
    2. Pokemon cannot learn moves. Each playable Pokemon already has a set of 4 moves and 1 ability.
    Also feasible and easy to do.
    4. Some moves and abilities are made to be different from the original for more interesting gameplay (ex. Shadow Ball is projected in a path of 6-tile distance and 3-tile width, dealing damage to all enemies on the path). Moves that damage allies or lowers the users stats no longer do that unless stated otherwise.
    6. Some moves have extra effects such as additional lowering of stats or statuses
    Feasible. Can be easy or hard or generally impossible, depending on what you want to do - adding extra effects to moves that don't have them already isn't hard; coming up with your own requires knowing how to program in ASM; changing the width of a move hasn't yet been achieved.
    3. It is still turn-based but i want that thing in Arceus where it shows who goes next and/or last in a battle.
    5. Some Pokemon have their damage scaled from one of their stats (eg. Crustle's damage scales with his Defense stat)
    7. I have came up with more statuses like the following:
    - Levitated or Lifted; Pokemon is lifted into the air, unable to perform any action or receive damage for 1 turn. Pokemon then falls back down, dealt 30% of their Missing HP in True
    Damage
    - Hastened; Pokemon can do actions twice for a certain duration
    - Blinded; Pokemon have their Accuracy halved for a certain duration
    - Exposed; Pokemon are 30% more likely to take a Crit Hit
    - Shielded; Pokemon has a shield with its own HP for a certain duration
    8. Some Pokemon can also "mark" targets hit, giving them either a debuff or an effect when allies hit a "marked" target
    10. I created something called Leader Passives where if a playable Pokemon is at the front of the party, their Leader Passive is activated to give benefits during a dungeon run
    11. Playable Pokemon have what i call a Super Move, that is basically a very strong attack that requires the Super Energy Bar to be filled. Super Energy comes from using moves and killing enemies
    Generally very, very unfeasible for a beginner, some may be possible but are very hard to do, and all would require ASM editing.
    9. Some Pokemon can also create structures that lasts for a certain duration and do something (eg, a turret placed on a single tile that deals AoE damage within a 5x5 tile area around it every turn for 5 turns). Sometimes these structures block movement, taunt enemies, or be destroyed.
    Feasible with creative use of SkyTemple's existing capabilities and existing or in-development patches and resources, but probably not a good first thing to try as a beginner.
    12. Enemies are harder to kill, and there are bosses that have phases, high HP, and very strong and sometimes telegraphed attacks.
    Relatively easy to do, one of the first things beginners to SkyTemple like to try. Phases require knowing how to use a slightly more advanced technique called Dungeon Interruptions, and telegraphed attacks could be feasible with some creative use of available moves.

Hope this helps with your ideas!

Back