• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] BEGINNER OWs SPRITE HELP

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2021
    Hi, I was recently inspired by FedMyster's Twitch Pokemon to create my own Rom Hack of Fire Red. I only plan on changing sprites and dialogue for inside jokes that I can share with my friends.
    My problem came up when I ran tried to replace Brock's sprite with a custom one. I created a sprite sheet from one of the other ones and imported it overtop of Brock's sprites in OVM. I then went to check it in Advance Map and the sprite had replaced Brock's sprite (it was discoloured in Advance Map but looked fine in game). I then went to try it in game and discovered that the OW sprite of the old man who does the catching tutorial was replaced with a little boy sprite. I went back to advance map to try and figure it out and when I went to Pewter city and clicked on the "Events" tab an error popped up that said "Advance Map Error(5): The value at $71A5FC is not a Pointer!". How can I get my custom sprite in without it changing other sprites and messing up my Advance Map?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

FireFig

Ignite
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2022
    Hi, I was recently inspired by FedMyster's Twitch Pokemon to create my own Rom Hack of Fire Red. I only plan on changing sprites and dialogue for inside jokes that I can share with my friends.
    My problem came up when I ran tried to replace Brock's sprite with a custom one. I created a sprite sheet from one of the other ones and imported it overtop of Brock's sprites in OVM. I then went to check it in Advance Map and the sprite had replaced Brock's sprite (it was discoloured in Advance Map but looked fine in game). I then went to try it in game and discovered that the OW sprite of the old man who does the catching tutorial was replaced with a little boy sprite. I went back to advance map to try and figure it out and when I went to Pewter city and clicked on the "Events" tab an error popped up that said "Advance Map Error(5): The value at $71A5FC is not a Pointer!". How can I get my custom sprite in without it changing other sprites and messing up my Advance Map?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

So let me get straight to the point :)

Essential tools needed to input custom ow sprites are :
    •OW Editor (for importing sprite and pal)
    •OW changer (for changing the dimensions of a BMP)
    •Infranview (to index ur sprites)
    •And a ROM :)

Things u should know
    •Ur sprite should be multiples of 8 (16x16{Children, bushes, boulders,etc..}/ 16x32{default person sprite}/ 32x32 / 32x64 / 64x64 {these 3 are for Pokemon's and other stuff)
    •Ur sprites should not contain more than 16 color (infranview steps into battle)
    •Indexing is a must !!!
    •Ur background color should not be present in ur sprite (or it will get transparent:(
    •The first color of ur 16 color palette should be ur background color. (Or it will end up damn messed :(
    •Don't use DS sprites (it will turn out huge then the other sprites)
    •Always create a backup of ur ROM ;)

How to insert :
    •Create/steal/download a GBA sprite from the internet (or other games :p)
    •For Brock u should u basically use 16x32 dimensions
    •Resize ur sprite and open it using Infranview
    •Then click on Image>Decrease color depth>16 colors
    •Now ur sprite is 16 colored, now u need to open image>edit palette to make sure the first color is ur background color. (If its not then u gotta find the bg color in ur 16 colored palette and swap colors between the first color in ur pal and the BG color (ur pic will be messed don't worry :) then u gotta goto image>palette>export palette then save the pal, now u gotta reopen ur sprite, then u gotta goto image>palette>import pal (here is where ur pal which u saved earlier is gonna be inputted) and WALLA UR PIC IS INDEXED \ ^_^ /
    •Now save it as .BMP file
    •Time to insert the sprite :)
    •Fire up ur ow editor and open ur ROM and navigate which sprite to replace then click import and open ur sprite load both ur image and ur palette. U have successfully inserted ur sprite. (o‿∩)

•Note•
    sprites are separated on the basis of palette used, if u change one palette of a particular Sprite, it also changes the palette of all the sprites that uses the same pal as the replaced one :( so it might glitch the other sprites so u should u should use the same pal for everything linked with it :)

I hope it helped you (^_^;)

P.s I took way too long to write :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2021
    So let me get straight to the point :)

Essential tools needed to input custom ow sprites are :
    •OW Editor (for importing sprite and pal)
    •OW changer (for changing the dimensions of a BMP)
    •Infranview (to index ur sprites)
    •And a ROM :)

Things u should know
    •Ur sprite should be multiples of 8 (16x16{Children, bushes, boulders,etc..}/ 16x32{default person sprite}/ 32x32 / 32x64 / 64x64 {these 3 are for Pokemon's and other stuff)
    •Ur sprites should not contain more than 16 color (infranview steps into battle)
    •Indexing is a must !!!
    •Ur background color should not be present in ur sprite (or it will get transparent:(
    •The first color of ur 16 color palette should be ur background color. (Or it will end up damn messed :(
    •Don't use DS sprites (it will turn out huge then the other sprites)
    •Always create a backup of ur ROM ;)

How to insert :
    •Create/steal/download a GBA sprite from the internet (or other games :p)
    •For Brock u should u basically use 16x32 dimensions
    •Resize ur sprite and open it using Infranview
    •Then click on Image>Decrease color depth>16 colors
    •Now ur sprite is 16 colored, now u need to open image>edit palette to make sure the first color is ur background color. (If its not then u gotta find the bg color in ur 16 colored palette and swap colors between the first color in ur pal and the BG color (ur pic will be messed don't worry :) then u gotta goto image>palette>export palette then save the pal, now u gotta reopen ur sprite, then u gotta goto image>palette>import pal (here is where ur pal which u saved earlier is gonna be inputted) and WALLA UR PIC IS INDEXED \ ^_^ /
    •Now save it as .BMP file
    •Time to insert the sprite :)
    •Fire up ur ow editor and open ur ROM and navigate which sprite to replace then click import and open ur sprite load both ur image and ur palette. U have successfully inserted ur sprite. (o‿∩)

•Note•
    sprites are separated on the basis of palette used, if u change one palette of a particular Sprite, it also changes the palette of all the sprites that uses the same pal as the replaced one :( so it might glitch the other sprites so u should u should use the same pal for everything linked with it :)

I hope it helped you (^_^;)

P.s I took way too long to write :)

Thank you so much!!!! Everything worked just as you said.

I'm sorry to ask another question but is there any easy way to edit trainer sprites without changing the trainers' original palettes? eg: when I edit the Brock sprite to change how he looks in paint I used the "color picker" tool to try and not change the palette. Then I followed your instructions and it worked perfect but unfortunately, despite me only using the colors given, it still messed up the palette of everybody else in his palette number.

tldr: Is there any easy way to edit the sprites I want and not mess up the palette? Any tips are appreciated and thanks again for your help

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Do you mean the OW sprites still, or the in-battle ones?

For all its usefulness, Paint is no good at handling palettes.
    My suggestion would be to open the original indexed sprite in Irfanview and click Image > Palette > Export Palette.

Then once you've made your edits in Paint, open it up in Irfanview and import the palette again (then press ctrl+S to save it of course)

Hope that solves the issue.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2021
    Do you mean the OW sprites still, or the in-battle ones?

For all its usefulness, Paint is no good at handling palettes.
    My suggestion would be to open the original indexed sprite in Irfanview and click Image > Palette > Export Palette.

Then once you've made your edits in Paint, open it up in Irfanview and import the palette again (then press ctrl+S to save it of course)

Hope that solves the issue.

YES! That fixed all my issues. Thank you so much!

Back