• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Being able to play as another character

VerdeWare

...death is only the beginning
Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2020
    Hey all,
    I am working on a game in essentials and part of the "opening sequence" scene, I want the character to be able to control an NPC if you will for a period of time.
    Just for the beginning couple of events that give some back story. Is there a possible way in which to do this effectively?
    I may have overlooked something that would be useful but I haven't been able to figure it out.
    Anyways, thanks!

Verde

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2019
    Add another player character. Essentials supports up to like 8 variations. Its the same as how you change genders. Its just a character and set of sprites associated with a number. You can use temporary names and Pokemon. You can override the name later when the players makes their character, and you can remove the Pokemon from the party so they have none.

Since this all happens, presumably, before any of that setup, you can just create a premade setup and delete it all from the player's possession before they actually use their player. If you don't need to give them Pokemon for battles and stuff, then even simpler

If you want something that lets you switch perspectives throughout, you'll need some system to track each character's setup/etc as it switches (which I believe this does... https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=417948 )

Last edited:

VerdeWare

...death is only the beginning
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2020
    Add another player character. Essentials supports up to like 8 variations. Its the same as how you change genders. Its just a character and set of sprites associated with a number. You can use temporary names and Pokemon. You can override the name later when the players makes their character, and you can remove the Pokemon from the party so they have none.

Since this all happens, presumably, before any of that setup, you can just create a premade setup and delete it all from the player's possession before they actually use their player. If you don't need to give them Pokemon for battles and stuff, then even simpler

If you want something that lets you switch perspectives throughout, you'll need some system to track each character's setup/etc as it switches (which I believe this does... https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=417948 )

I kind of see what you are saying...I suppose what I am confused most about is its just for a cutscene backstory do I have to make a whole operation like that?
    I had wondered if I could just use events somehow because the character is just there for a specific scene and not even a portion of battling.
    Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Verde

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • It is just for temporary and you don't intend to use it for anything else, like picking items/pokémons, then you can just setup a outfit for the player.
    https://essentialsdocs.fandom.com/wiki/Player#Outfits
    Here's a link for how to setup a outfit for the player. Just remember to return the player sprite when you are finished.

Hm... I have Following Pokemon script and i would like, in some scenes, that you are your Pokemon Following the main character keeps stoped. And let your character stand still until the pokemon following talk to him again, to get back control of your main character. Its possible?

Years
  • Hm... I have Following Pokemon script and i would like, in some scenes, that you are your Pokemon Following the main character keeps stoped. And let your character stand still until the pokemon following talk to him again, to get back control of your main character. Its possible?
    I don't use the "pokémon following" script, but if it is possible:

* Make a replaceble NPC in the place of the player.
    * Make the player invisible
    * Transfer the player to the follower place
    * Change the player sprites to be the one of the follower

When you are done, just do it backwards.

Back