• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Best Pokemon Game?

Becky_x

Looking for a shiny Bellossom
    Years
    Red was my first one so I've got a bit of an attatchment to that, but I'm really enjoying Diamond. I think the technology and graphics really adds to it though.

STK

Char-bok-a!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 6, 2011
    I had so many good times with GSC... great games. I haven't played R/S/E/FR/LG or D/P though. I need to get those.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Well I have to say Pokemon Stadium is the best pokemon game for me, because thats when I got really into pokemon a lot and the graphics were cool at the time. Otherwise the best pokemon game-held is Pokemon Crystal!! ^_^

Years
    I got really addicted to pokemon puzzle challenge on Game boy advance i have no idear why i hated the game but i could not stop playing it my fav was gold and silver

5703vcr

Lemonman
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    i got gold b4 it came out in the UK and used to enjoy showin off bout/ with it for ages cos it wor so good. but truth be told my favourites are crystal (although i was never any good at it. i never caught all three dogs or worked out what eon mail was) and emerald cos of the storyline n i love hoenn. But if they make a gold remake i will have to go for that since i love Johto a tiny bit more.

TBH i found the addition of Kanto in G/S/C a bit boring. i still prefer having it there but there wasnt much to do and since Kanto is my least favourite region it made the whole experience of 2 regions less enjoyable. still a great game tho

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    -Content. Come on. There's just so little to do in the original ones compared to now. Once you beat the game, you go and get Mewtwo. That's about it. Trading involved a link cable and a friend, and so pretty much hardly ever happened. The whole game was based around catching only 150 pokemon (considering Mew wasn't catchable), and beating 8 gyms plus the Elite Four. Now, there is SO much more to do than just that. You have berries, poffins, contests, the GTS, the Battle Zone, new pokeballs with different features, capsules/seals, breeding, chaining, tons of legendaries to get after beating the game, and way more stuff in between the gyms. Not to mention, way more pokemon to acquire.
    You'd be right that the original lacks content, but D/P and RSE don't exactly have the best Post-E4 Content. All of these different berries, poffins, and contests are a huge waste of time. The GTS is stupid, because everyone wants a Palkia for their Rattata. The Battle Zone sucks as Battle Towers/Frontiers always have.

The new PokeBalls with different features and breeding are nice, but that's all old news. 8 years old, to be precise. Capsules/seals really didn't hold my attention; I think they're pointless. Chaining is very tedious and a huge waste of time.

The new legendaries are "tons" of crap. Giratina? Cresselia? Shaymin? Darkrai? Arceus? Phione? Mesprit? All garbage if you ask me. Why do you want more stuff between the Gyms? You travel across the entire region just to get your third freaking badge. So many pointless towns; Floaroma, Sandgem, etc. Mt. Coronet is also uncalled for. Who wants to spend half of the game in a cave?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I was about to say that all those Legends are beastly, but you just crossed the line when you insulted Shaymin.

HE'S SO CUTE. JUST LOOK AT HIM.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    You'd be right that the original lacks content, but D/P and RSE don't exactly have the best Post-E4 Content. All of these different berries, poffins, and contests are a huge waste of time. The GTS is stupid, because everyone wants a Palkia for their Rattata. The Battle Zone sucks as Battle Towers/Frontiers always have.

The new PokeBalls with different features and breeding are nice, but that's all old news. 8 years old, to be precise. Capsules/seals really didn't hold my attention; I think they're pointless. Chaining is very tedious and a huge waste of time.

The new legendaries are "tons" of crap. Giratina? Cresselia? Shaymin? Darkrai? Arceus? Phione? Mesprit? All garbage if you ask me. Why do you want more stuff between the Gyms? You travel across the entire region just to get your third freaking badge. So many pointless towns; Floaroma, Sandgem, etc. Mt. Coronet is also uncalled for. Who wants to spend half of the game in a cave?

So in other words, because you think those extra features weren't as good as they could be, you'd rather have a game with NONE of them. And you play pokemon just to beat the gyms. That's boring. I don't pick up the game and get all impatient about not being at the third gym already, because I actually enjoy the whole game for what it is. Fine, let's do away with Floaroma town and Sandgem town and Mt Coronet (which also means do away with Probopass and Magnezone, and Dialga, Palkia and Arceus).

You know what? Here's what they should make for the next game. A new region with 8 towns, all connected to each other in a giant line, so you don't even have to change directions. Then have the Elite 4 at the end and then game over, sell it back to the store and play COD4 and WoW for 9 more years. Everything else is useless. No point in having people in the game that serve no purpose, no point in having towns and routes where you have to actually travel to get where you're going, no point in having any extra features or legendaries, which means no storyline.

Sounds like a great game huh?

BTW, as much as I hate competitive battling, berries are the only way to really be able to EV train a pokemon, so I wouldn't call them useless. Poffins are the only way to get Milotic so you can't complete the Pokedex without those.

The GTS IS kind of annoying with the offers they have but it's far from useless.

Pokemon I have obtained through the GTS that I could not have gotten elsewhere, which I traded pokemon I could have and DID get elsewhere:

Palkia (I have Diamond)
    Regice
    Feebas* (I know I could have but it's freakin near impossible, would take many many hours)
    Bulbasaur
    Charmander
    Squirtle
    Chikorita
    Cyndaquil
    Totodile
    Treecko
    Torchic
    Mudkip
    Chimchar
    Piplup (I chose Turtwig)
    Alakazam
    Machamp
    Golem
    Gengar (Can catch one if you have a GBA game I think, which I don't)
    Ursaring (don't own Pokemon Emerald)

And I'm still working on more.

So, in one corner, we have NO GTS, NO WIFI TRADES WITH ANYONE, NO GETTING OTHER STARTERS.

In the other corner, we have GTS, TONS OF RIDICULOUS TRADE REQUESTS, OCCASIONAL AWESOME TRADES.

I'll take the latter, thank you.

Johnnyboi

Street Pokéster
    Years
    Gold/Silver/Crystal are easily the best Pokémon games IMO when you look at Pokémon, region and feel
    of the game. Also, the graphic style of G/S/C is way better than the one in R/S/E and D/P/P IMO, the first 251 Pokémon look really bad with the alternative colours used in the newer sprites, I hope they fix that in Platinum.
    Also, the new legendaries are AWFUL. All the legendaries R/S/E and forward have sucked majorly. How can you even compare **** like Groudon, Regis, Kyogre, the 3 stupid apes in DP, Heathran, Dialga etc. to the awesomeness of Mewtwo, Raikou, Ho-Oh, Zapdos, Lugia, Mew, Suicune etc.?
    All in all I am left wishing for a G/S/C remake, the best Pokémon games ever.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    Does no one love R/S/E? They'll always be the best for me. When I first played Sapphire, it was truly revolutionary to me. I was in awe at how much better Pokemon - an already great game - had suddenly become. And not just the improved graphics, but the fact that there was so much more to do, special abilities, all that. I went straight from RBY to RSE, by the way, I appreciate there may have been slightly less wow-factor if I'd had G/S/C too.

Even with D/P out, and the awe over, I still enjoy playing Emerald more than any of my other Pokemon games. Hoenn is such an epic region, and the tileset with which it is constructed is still the most colourful and attractive, if you ask me. I really wish there was dive in D/P. I love those bits.

I have to say, I didn't play much back when it was new. I was only 7, and it was never really a big thing at my school. So there's none of that nostalgia, really. (I did own blue, though.) =o

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Does no one love R/S/E? They'll always be the best for me. When I first played Sapphire, it was truly revolutionary to me. I was in awe at how much better Pokemon - an already great game - had suddenly become. And not just the improved graphics, but the fact that there was so much more to do, special abilities, all that.

Your opinion is officially better than most people's here.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    RSE was terrible, in my opinion.

Opinions, opinions people, remember no one's view on a matter as subjective as this can be absolute. I'd also be careful there, Yoom-Tah, because an opinion can't be better than another person's, only better explained. Thanks for backing me up on that one, though. =) (I'm being pretty nit-picking here, I understand xD)

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Opinions, opinions people, remember no one's view on a matter as subjective as this can be absolute. I'd also be careful there, Yoom-Tah, because an opinion can't be better than another person's, only better explained. Thanks for backing me up on that one, though. =) (I'm being pretty nit-picking here, I understand xD)

I know that, it was more of a post that was due to frustration from people thinking that "old" or "original" or "classic" makes a game actually better than it would be had there been several installments beforehand. Seriously, if Red and Blue were the same exact game, but there were several pokemon generations before it, people would say that whatever one was first was the best.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    The main games are best for replay value. But the best story is Mystery Dungeon 2. I absolutly love it, it's so cute! I've just finished it (it came out 1 week ago in the UK, I haven't had it for months...) and with both of them, I cried at the end because you just feel so sorry for those little pixels, falling over and crying as their friend is being copied and pasted to deleted-dom...this has to be the first time someone has cried about a game story XD But I dunno, maybe there are sad games out there, I only play Pokemon really. And I love the music from that game. It's not as good as the main games IMO, but I really want to find the music. It's unfair because they released a CD of the other games, but not of the recent spinoffs.

Back