• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Best water early

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    Started with chik in gold and wanting a good water type for my team.

Is wooper any good? Never used him or do i need to grind for a gyrados lol?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Quagsire can be pretty cool to use, I think! One option to consider, if you're desperate for a reliable water-attack user is grab an Unown with Hidden Power Water (just test on a Geodude!) It came in super handy for me vs Falkner with HP Ice. :)

You should be able to fish for a Poliwag fairly early on too - Poliwrath is potentially really good because it is part Fighting as well which means Jasmine and Pryce won't cause you any problems. You can go with Slowpoke, also early on... but generally worthless I think.

Those are really the best choices you have early on unfortunately!

MaSterBarth

Pokemon MaSter
    Years
  • Wooper is one of the best early options. Plus its added ground typing helps it out a lot. A pretty solid early water type. Poli is good too. The added fighting type like mentioned above helps out greatly for the later gyms. Otherwise, you have to wait till you can get to Olivine City and are able to surf or use a fishing rod that catches decent water types.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I used a Quagsire on my team my first time through Gold, and I've had a soft spot for it ever since. Its typing really comes in handy (only weak to grass, which isn't that common, and having a water type who is immune to electric is nice). It's also pretty bulky (particularly once it evolves), which is nice for training it. And it can be fairly versatile in-game with minimal cost investment (Surf later in the game, learns Earthquake naturally, and like most water types, you can slap an ice move on it fairly early on in the form of Ice Punch from the Goldenrod Department Store to take care of those pesky grass types it's weak to). It's a nice precursor to Swampert in the Water/Ground department.

I've always found Onix pretty tough to train. I haven't really tried it early on with the one in GSC, but in LeafGreen, I recall thinking that its attack stat was rather pitiful, all things considered. It also doesn't have enough HP or Special Defense to tank special attacks too well. That said, if you have access to trading, Steelix could be fun to use.

By contrast, I've always found the Geodude line easier to train. I still wouldn't call them easy, but they aren't terrible. And once Geodude evolves, things get a lot better. (Again, for final stage forms, you'll want to be able to trade locally to evolve it, so if you don't have access to that, Geodude might not be the best choice.)

If you're going with Quagsire, though, I don't know if you necessarily need a Rock/Ground type. You can have one if you want to, but there will be some overlap with Quagsire. (However, I say this as someone who had three water types on my Gold team, three Pokemon weak to electric attacks (one flying type and two water), three weak to grass (the water types), and two unevolved Pokemon, and I loved my team. So ultimately, if you want two ground types, go for it. Anything can work for in-game, except maybe a Magikarp who only knows Splash [and even then, Struggle plus regular potions could probably still take some stuff out].)

Years
  • I think Lapras is a solid choice for a Water-Type. You can catch one in the lower floors of the union cave on Fridays. (Surf is required, which you can obtain in Ecruteak.). It has really good HP and pretty good defences.

Last edited:
    Back