• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Best way to create Pokemon game ?

Days
    • Seen Mar 5, 2024
    Hello,

What is currently the easiest way to make a pokemon game ?

What I want is :
    - New map (quite big)
    - pokemon from gen 1 to 8 (maybe 9, why not)
    - recent battle system with recent moves etc
    - Mega Evo, Primal
    - graphics looks like gen 3 or 4 if possible (at least, look like a real pokemon game)

Should I use rom hacking ? (If yes, gen 3 or 4 with hg engine ?) Rpg Maker with pokemon essentials ? PSDK ? Another tool/engine ?

Please don't answer me "This is too ambitious, start small", I already know that, I'm just looking for the best way to start to achieve it.

Thanks you in advance !

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Hello there. I've recently had to answer the same question for myself as well. After a bit of scouting and trying around, I can tell that you have a few options depending on what you want.

Pokemon Essentials works best straight out of the bag, and there are many simple plugins out there, to the point that you don't really need to do any of the backend work, some things (like mega evolutions) are built in by default. RPGMXP is also a very simple and user friendly tool to use, but it does cost money. But there will always be graphical and responsiveness inconsistencies between it and the original ROM games. However if you can program, you could do a lot more with an Essentials game.

PSDK is a good alternative, but the most recent Essentials version gives it a run for it's money.

ROM hacks are harder to do, but there is a massive backlog of tools to use and documentation to read to help you on your way. A ROM hack might take extra effort, but you'll get a more robust game out of it in the end.

I've personally settled on Essentials for my game.

And yes, everything you want to do is very doable.

Back