• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Better Eight Than Never" Episode Discussion

Years
    Here is where you can discuss the resuming of the final Johto Gym battle in "Better Eight Than Never."

My review to come forthwith.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I so been waiting for this episode. Teeheehee

This surely was a action pack episode with one hit after another. One of my fave or I think it is my fave of all gym battles especially from Jotho. The use of Snorlax and then discovering that it can use Ice Punch was really coolies. This battle really did show that Ash can battle outside the box with Snorlax being used in underwater combat. Super coolies.

Charizard!!!! Now that was just a great battle! Using Flamethrower to evaporate the water which then took Dragonair out of the protection of the water and open to Charizard's finishing move. Super coolies.

Best battle for the last gym. Surely better then the Kanto Earth Gym battle.

Last edited:
    Years
    I so been waiting for this episode. Teeheehee

This surely was a action back episodewith one hit after another. One of my fave or I think it is my fave of all gym battles especially from Jotho. The use of Snorlax and then discovering that it can use Ice Punch was really coolies. This battle really did show that Ash can battle outside the box with Snorlax being used in underwater combat. Super coolies.

Charizard!!!! Now that was just a great battle! Using Flamethrower to evaporate the water which then took Dragonair out of the protection of the water and open to Charizard's finishing move. Super coolies.

Best battle for the last gym. Surely better then the Kanto Earth Gym battle.

I agree, that the real-life mechanics (i.e., physics) were done in better execution. It's not game mechanics (not yet), but I've no complaints. And, yep, no weird edits, deus ex machina, nothing (by comparison).

The only real flaw is drawing it out for another episode. However, I'd rather have that, than to cram in everything about a city/location into one episode (as most of Kanto has done). Despite Johto's flaws, they were getting better at it. In fact, the only crammed episode of the new eight was Chuck's, lamentably.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Yeppie. I have to say that having that episode before this one was kinda bad since it drag out the battle but at least Ash didn't lost and we got a much better battle then the first one. Also it highlighed the city for what it is known for and it was in intresting twist of events.

Also it seems like there was more real life stuff in Johto then later on in the series like we saw in the Sliver Cup where we know later on we will be getting exploding bubbles. Teeheehee

Years
    That's true, as Dragon's Den, the Dragon Fang, the Dratini that knows Extremespeed (sorta), their version of Outrage and, of course, the Gym were covered. Compared to most Gym themed episodes, that certainly covers the waterfront.

Oddly enough, I did like the animation in the previous episode than this one, or maybe my standards are getting too high... or low. I just can't put my finger on it, but the animation style felt off, here. Disappointing, for the final official Gym of the series (before AG), but them's the breaks.

This is a good enough time to mention it, but notice how Clair got the most episodes out of all the GLs (barring the trio of Brock, Misty and Gio) with 5 (including the next one). She must have a real good agent.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Yeppie. Blackthorn really did got a lot of attention.

I don't know. I mean it felt the same but then again maybe it was because it wasn't as flashy battling like in past gyms. I mean Ash did just evaporated the water to defeat Dragonair unlike with Jasmine where Cyndaquil just used a pillar of fire to defeat Steelix. Also this was aroudn the time where they were able to change the animation style too. Transition time?

That is true. I mean didn't see make a cameo during the Sliver Cup too? That is a lot compare to a lot of other gym leaders period minus Norman.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I don't remember exactly how it was, but the match was pretty good. Since Ash has battled a dragonite and beat it before, this doesn't seem too interesting. Was it the first time Kingdra was shown in battle?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I've came in this thread about 50 times thinking I've posted here. Anyway, I always get this title and the Hoenn 8th gym battle title mixed up, they both talk about eight.

Better Eight than Never
    Great Eight Fate
    Eight Ain't Enough

Kanto is just "Battle of the Badge" XD. Eight Ain't Enough makes me laugh though, not sure why. I wonder if PUSA will have an eight pun?

Years
    I've came in this thread about 50 times thinking I've posted here. Anyway, I always get this title and the Hoenn 8th gym battle title mixed up, they both talk about eight.

Better Eight than Never
    Great Eight Fate
    Eight Ain't Enough

Kanto is just "Battle of the Badge" XD. Eight Ain't Enough makes me laugh though, not sure why. I wonder if PUSA will have an eight pun?

Indeed, I do share your confusion, there. Although, I think this first title is apt, as frankly, we've waited so long for Clair's Gym. And her appearance in the fourth Eng OP didn't help matters as it was a taunt.

Yes, I know the OP was for 4Kids only, and it was a good idea to include Clair, but it ultimately clashed with the Japanese writing direction of the series. Then again, who's fault was it to protract the journey to Clair for as long as possible?

I'll end this by concurring to what Reyna said.

For a PUSA eight pun, try "Eight is a lonely number," or "As of Eight." Heh.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Su. Now that I think about it. The dub titles for Kanto and Johto onwards have a different style. I mean Kanto's weren't so punny while they kinda start getting punny around Orange Islands and then got REALLY bad in Jotho. So maybe the eight pun thing could have been in the change of dub title styling.

Still also thinking about this title. I think it is very deemable seeing how long we had to wait for eight badges considering we had to deal with seeing this battle twice. Teeheehee

As of possible PUSA eigthth badge titles? Eight for the Win? Better for Eight? Teeheehee

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2011
    The fact had Ash had to take out his two most powerful Pokemon (that never used before in Johto at all save once) just to barely defeat Clair kind of took the meaning out of all his earlier wins - they were only close because he purposefully used his mediocre Pokemon. I liked Charizard and Snorlax's return, though.

Years
    Su. Now that I think about it. The dub titles for Kanto and Johto onwards have a different style. I mean Kanto's were so punny while they kinda start getting punny around Orange Islands and then got REALLY bad in Jotho. So maybe the eight pun thing could have been in the change of dub title styling.

Still also thinking about this title. I think it is very deemable seeing how long we had to wait for eight badges considering we had to deal with seeing this battle twice. Teeheehee

As of possible PUSA eigthth badge titles? Eight for the Win? Better for Eight? Teeheehee

Well, Kanto didn't start punny, as the first season was more or less straight translations. Season 2 onward, puns but not completely. By Johto-onward, it was out of hand, yes. And then, late Johto really killed it ("Nice Pryce, Baby!").

And you're right -- since we finally achieved the final Johto Gym, might as well stretch out the battle (and the drama).

I'll go with 'Eight for the Win.' Heh.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Puns started cropping up in the middle of Kanto, A Problem Paras, A Chansey Operation all around the 40s/50s and slowly cropped up more frequently

Years
    Puns started cropping up in the middle of Kanto, A Problem Paras, A Chansey Operation all around the 40s/50s and slowly cropped up more frequently

That sounds right. Actually, I didn't put two and two together like that, as the initial Kids WB run is a blur to me, same goes with the titles.

Silly Kids WB.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Su. I meant they weren't so punny. Teeheehee Forgot to put the n't on were. Teeheehee

Still I think Jorah has a point. I mean there werea few punny titles but they were rare in compare to Johto and now. VERY rare. Teeheehee. I mean I don't really remember at lot of those punny titles from Kanto since the only titles I can remember from Kanto were like The Island of the Giant Pokemon and Bye Bye Butterfree. And according to Serebii they both are close to the original titles.

Back