• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bits & Pieces

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm mostly a mapper, to be honest, and well it is hard to find an exact place on PC to display maps, so this will be pretty heavy with them I guess. In saying that, I do a little pixel art also, so there will be some tiles and such thrown in as I go along. So, without making anything to fancy, I'll just go ahead and show you a rather boring pixel art thread!

Fakemon

Rumbit
    Bits & Pieces

This was my first attempt, the design was by someone else though, for a game belonging to a friend of mine. Do not use.

Tiles

Final Island - PMD inspired tileset.

Spoiler:

Maps
    Starting from oldest to latest. Note that all tiles used aren't mine, though may be altered, edited, or recoloured to suit what I was looking for, by me. But each tile used was used with permission (I hope), and I want to make it clear that I did not make 90% of the tiles you see in these maps.

Serenity Way [link]

Spoiler:

Littleroot Town

Spoiler:

Route 101

Spoiler:

Oldale Town

Spoiler:

Petalburg City - New style enters

Spoiler:

Lilycove City [link]

Spoiler:

Divinire

Spoiler:

Hopefully I'll have updates, but I don't claim to be much of a pixel artist, just do a few pixels here and there, but this is some of my work.

Serris

The Constant
    Years
  • I'm quite a fan of your maps. Reminds me of an Emerald project here a while ago.

And I quite like your fakemon. Design wise, that is. there are only a few shading problems, mainly on the ear parts that are tied back, but that's it.

I'll love to see more.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Wow, Gav. Loving your maps here - especially the Serenity Way one. That's a map I'd like to just run around in circles for hours on. And no, that's not some kind of technophiliac euphemism. I can see myself just going back and forward and round and round because the colours are so vibrant and the design is just so full of life. Your others are nice, too, especially the redesigns of Oldale and Littleroot, but I still think Serenity Way is the best.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2013
    Wow. Just... wow. Your maps are amazing... and bright. Much better than the ones found in the Pokemon games, in my opinion. They just... have more details than regular maps, like in Serenity Way, you can see through the water...

And your fakemon is pretty good. Way better than what I can do... >:3

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm quite a fan of your maps. Reminds me of an Emerald project here a while ago.

And I quite like your fakemon. Design wise, that is. there are only a few shading problems, mainly on the ear parts that are tied back, but that's it.

I'll love to see more.

Thanks, I am working on an Emerald remake, but a lot of the graphics are a tad outdated. But thanks for the crit on the fakemon, I'm aware my scratch skills need some tweaking.

Wow, Gav. Loving your maps here - especially the Serenity Way one. That's a map I'd like to just run around in circles for hours on. And no, that's not some kind of technophiliac euphemism. I can see myself just going back and forward and round and round because the colours are so vibrant and the design is just so full of life. Your others are nice, too, especially the redesigns of Oldale and Littleroot, but I still think Serenity Way is the best.

I'd love to remake Serenity, and I think I will. But that map took me about two weeks, but it neeeeeds a revamp! But thank you.

Wow. Just... wow. Your maps are amazing... and bright. Much better than the ones found in the Pokemon games, in my opinion. They just... have more details than regular maps, like in Serenity Way, you can see through the water...

And your fakemon is pretty good. Way better than what I can do... >:3

Glad you like them :] And I'm sure you could do better if you tried.

::::Update::::

This is just a WIP, I'm only about half way through, but it's inspired by LOZ. As I say, a lot to do, but suggestions are so so so welcome. This is a rather ambitious piece imo.

Bits & Pieces

Years
  • Ambitious is right. I like that WIP and how you're playing with all those dark shades. The trees being lighter on top and the patchy shadows on the trunks and branches makes me think it's not night, but just a dark forest. More detail would, of course, give a better impression of this. Link's expression is kind of mischievous. Try darkening more of the hair and face to get more of that spooky 'campfire' glow effect. The body shape is still looking a little rough, but you probably can see that already. The hooded figure hasn't got much depth or shape below the red collar yet. I'm liking the fairy dust sparkles or whatever they are. They make the overall piece not feel as dark.

I can't find any serious faults with your floating island except for the noticable 180 degree flips on the mini islands and the overall symmetry on the big island. Personally, I like a little asymmetry, but these are tiles and I don't know too much about the limitations of those so if they have to be that way then they have to be that way.

Your rabbit sprite looks nice. It's balanced. I'm not seeing anything that looks off.

Your maps are, well, maps. They're good. I don't know what else to say about them. D:

Dorandragon

The Pixel Master
    Years
  • While Scarf may not have anything to say about the rabbit, I do. its all only anatomy things anyways. The abdoman of the rabit is way to short. lengthen it and it will look like it actually has a body and isnt just made of legs. And the legs, the feet both end on the same line, which is bad for perspective purposis. make the leg that is behind the other one or two pixels higher or in this case maybe a little more. I hope my with all those spelling errors your still able to understand what i was saying XD.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • I was quite amazed with that PMD island. Until i looked it up and saw it was just a palette swap. But your maps are quite good, apart from all the trees, i can just imagine anywhere i go bumping into trees.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Thanks for the crit, except Sora, it wasn't a palette swap, it's scratch, just based on the original. So I thought I'd slip that in there, I'll refer more in depth to the crit when I update again, just making a flying visit :]

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Haven't finished the Zelda piece yet. I have a bunch of maps to upload, but I'll just post what I did today, some reposes. In order of oldest to newest.

Bits & Pieces

Bits & Pieces

Bits & Pieces

Bits & Pieces

Oh, and a scrap

Spoiler:

Years
  • Looking closer to that Shuppet I'm seeing something on its eye that looks off.

Bits & Pieces

That one yellow pixel surrounded by the darker ones gives the eye a not completely smooth look when it's normal size. And if it were my sprite I wouldn't use the 2-1 diagonal line for outline of the head below that eye because it can easily look jagged though it's not really noticeable.

And there's a lot of potential on that Banette if you'd want to add some more detail like a few more shades of color to it.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • Your mapping skills are amazing, I especially was amazed by Lylicove city and I love your choice of tiles. They give this unique touch to your maps. I love your maps - they look so alive - keep em coming! :D
    Your fakemon Rumbit - I don't see any problems with the lineart and the shades are in place, the only thing I is that - dunno if it's intentional - but the cheek bone looks out of place, kinda puffed

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Looking closer to that Shuppet I'm seeing something on its eye that looks off.

Bits & Pieces

That one yellow pixel surrounded by the darker ones gives the eye a not completely smooth look when it's normal size. And if it were my sprite I wouldn't use the 2-1 diagonal line for outline of the head below that eye because it can easily look jagged though it's not really noticeable.

And there's a lot of potential on that Banette if you'd want to add some more detail like a few more shades of color to it.

Ah I totally didn't see that pixel. I'll fix it then, thanks Scarf. As for the Banette, well, what I'm most concerned with is the pure size and choppy line art I'm not happy with. I did it without knowing the basics, then I showed it to someone, they taught me the basics of pixel art, and I started my reposes. My fakemon was also done without knowing the basics, but you know, I must have gotten lucky. Thanks for the crit though, it's most certainly useful.

Your mapping skills are amazing, I especially was amazed by Lylicove city and I love your choice of tiles. They give this unique touch to your maps. I love your maps - they look so alive - keep em coming! :D
    Your fakemon Rumbit - I don't see any problems with the lineart and the shades are in place, the only thing I is that - dunno if it's intentional - but the cheek bone looks out of place, kinda puffed

Thanks, I'll be sure to! I'm probably going to edit this post with another soon.

And I have to agree, that was my first actual scratched sprite, I think, so it has some beginner mistakes. I'll probably go back and fix it at some point! Thanks for the kind remarks.

Just a quick update, I did another repose last night, and I'll probably edit this post with some maps as I said. I'm aware this isn't amazing, it's a little small in places. But Zekrom, is seriously impossibly hard to sprite, like omg kill me now. But really, it was worth the attempt, this was my outcome. Considering doing a larger version, however.

Bits & Pieces

Edit: And yes, I'm true to my word.

Nocturne Town

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back