• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Bizarre glitch in Pokemon FireRed hack

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I've recently been attempting to make a Pokemon hack. Despite having no clue what I'm doing, the many excellent tutorials and resources found here and elsewhere have helped guide me through it. However, a very weird bug has just occurred, and I'm a bit stumped by what is causing it and whether there's any solution beyond going to an earlier back-up and starting again.

So, basically, my hack begins in Lavender Town, and the very first first trainer the player will encounter is located on the right hand side of Route 8, near the Lavender Town border.

The trainer is Lass Julia (the Clefairy girl, 131 in the PGE trainer index). All I've done with her so far is use PGE to alter her name, trainer class, spite, and pokemon/ level, and AdvanceMap to reposition her a bit, face her in a different direction, increase her view radius, and change her sprite. No changes have been made to her actual script yet (apart from whatever PGE did when altering her battle data).

Being spotted by her and fighting her goes absolutely fine. After the battle, everything is normal too. The problem comes after I change maps and her sprite resets back to her original position.

Once that happens, as soon as I encounter any wild Pokemon near her, after the battle ends (either by running or defeating the wild mon), I suddenly have control of the trainer's sprite instead of the player sprite. This sprite can only move in a single clockwise direction. Sometimes it looks like the player sprite with a few oddly colored pixels, and sometimes it looks like her sprite. On top of this, it is raining on this map, and sometimes when this glitch occurs, the rain has a bunch of big, glowing pink arrows in it. (Having now screen-shotted it, I realize a pink version of the trainer's sprite is also falling with the pink arrows.)

I've gone back to an earlier back-up and repeated what I did, and found this same thing happened, so whatever it is, this trainer seems to be causing it. At first I thought she might have been too close to the Lavender Town border (originally she spotted the player as soon as he/she exits, which caused her to randomly materialize out of thin air when the player changes maps), but I've moved her far away enough that she doesn't appear on screen until after the map change-over, and it still happens.

I'm using "Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)", AdvanceMap 1.92, and PGE 3.8. I've also put in a few scripts with XSE (only in Lavender Town so far, though, not Route 8), used AdvanceStarter to change the starters and used Intro Text Editor to, well, edit the intro text.

I've attached screenshots of what is happening. First pic is what the map looks like prior to the wild encounter that sets off the glitch, second is when her sprite changes but the rain doesn't, third is when the rain changes but her sprite doesn't. In both of the latter two pics, I no longer have control of the player sprite but can control hers instead, and I cannot move more than a single square in any direction.

Has anyone encountered something like this before? Any ideas about how it could be either fixed or, if I've got no option besides reverting to an earlier back-up, avoided in future?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Bizarre glitch in Pokemon FireRed hack
      Glitch1.png
      11.2 KB · Views: 28
      Glitch2.png
      10.8 KB · Views: 31
      Glitch3.png
      12.5 KB · Views: 39
    Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Check her movement type and set it to 'No Movement' rather than 'Look Down'. Look Down is bugged and must never be used, but thankfully No Movement works. I've never seen the rain change to different sprites upon activating the glitch so that's a pretty rad screenshot.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2019
    Works perfectly now. Thank you!

Out of curiosity, are there pre-existing sprites set to Look Down? And are they buggy too? Or is it just when new ones are set to that movement?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Nope, only NPCs that have been changed in A-Map will have the Look Down movement. Everything else in the base game is set to No Movement.

Back