• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and white English name speculation (NOT REAL NAMES!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
    This is a thread to speculate what the English names of the pokemon COULD be not what they already are! Sorry for dissapointing some of you.

But while you're you're here, hear me out. I really like these pokemon so far. I can't wait to play it personally. But my questioning is the English naming. I just hope they have good names. What about you? You have ideas as to what they could be called?

I have a few ideas myself.

Mijumaru -- Ottide (Otter + Tide)

Mamepato -- Appidgeon (Apprentice + Pidgeon) (I was thinkig the final form could be Muskidgeon (Musketeer + Pidgeon) so I thought, they all have to start somewhere...)

Hihidaruma -- Gorruma (Gorilla + Daruma)

Shimama -- Zeblast (Zebra + Blast) (I think it's cool :P)

Meguroko -- Crocodesert (Crocodile + Desert) (Because he's a ground too?)

Shuckleman

The Awesome
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Hihidaruma -- Pyrobrow - a combination of pyro (fire) and brow (as in his huge firey eyebrows.).

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Here be my best guesses. :P

Tsutaaja = Aspleaf (asp [type of venomous snake] + leaf)
    Pokabu = Pyroink (pyro + oink)
    Mijumaru = Shellott (shell + otter)
    Chiramii = Chinchill (word chincilla truncated)
    Mamepato = pidgey Dovely (dove + ly [suffix indicating lack of experience])
    Hihidoruma = Dharmape (Dharma [common romanization of Daruma] + ape)
    Shimama = Zebramp (zebra + amp [unit of measuring electrical current])
    Meguroko = Crocodune (crocodile + sand dune)
    Munna = Mooner (approximate transliteration/describes an association with the moon, fitting for a psychic-type)
    Gear = Gear, lulz

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    crocodesert sounds way too generic.

i'm very prosaic at naming things, but how about....

Munna = Mooner (approximate transliteration/describes an association with the moon, fitting for a psychic-type)

that sounds so wrong lol

Years
    Pokabu = Pignite, Barbecute, Piglit
    Mijamaru = Cotter (sea otter...), Wotter
    Tsutaja = Anoleaf
    Shimama = Zapra sounds about right
    Chiramii = Chinchi
    Hihi.. the fire thing = Darumagma
    Mamepato = Pidgynx
    Munna = Midnap
    Magaroko = Dunedee...

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
    Tsutaja - Vink (Vine + Skink)
    Pokabu - Pignite (Pig + Ignite)
    Mijumaru - Lutide (Lutra, an otter's genus name + Tide, though the "lu" part could also be related to "lunar," relating to the tide theme)
    Mamepato - Okay, Dovely is a good name for it, and I can't think of one myself. Its final evolution should be called "Dovine."
    Chiramii - Dustear (lame name, but it's a combination of "dusty" and "ear". I have a few pet chinchillas, and they have huge ears, and have to take dust baths to get clean. Simple, yet boring.)
    Shimama - Hooflash (Because lightning is bright, I was thinking Hoof + Flash. That, or Zebright)
    Hihidoruma - Baburn (Baboon + Burn)
    Munna - Tapetite (Tapir + Appetite)
    Gear - Tual (Tool + Dual, Tooth + Dual, Tool + Teal, like its nose, etc...)
    Meguroko - Sneakrok (Sneak + Croc, it looks like it would be a really stealthy ambusher)

That is all for now. I don't really like some of the names I chose, like Lutide or Hooflash...

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Tsutaja = Vinewt (Vine + Newt)
    Pokabu = Pignite (Pig + Ignite)
    Mijimaru = Lutide (Lutra [Genus] + Tide)
    Chirimii = Chinchild (Chinchilla + Child)
    Munna = Hippee (Hippy [Floral Pattern similar to hippy-style] + the "ee" from Drowzee)
    Zebra = Zebolt (Zebra + Bolt)
    Hihidaruma = Porcelape (Porcelain [Daruma Doll] + Ape)
    Croc PKMN = Croasis (Crocodile + Oasis)
    Pigeon = Smidgeon (Smidge + Pigeon)
    Gear = Cogs (Cogs, as in plural cog, lol)

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2010
    Mijimaru - Aquatter (Aqua + Otter)
    Tsutaja - Taipleaf (Taipan + Leaf)
    Pokabu - Pyrig (Pyro + Pig)
    Chiramii - Chinchill
    Munna - Floream (Flower + Dream)
    Meguroko - Dustodile (Dust + Crocodile)
    Mamepato - Pidgkid (Pigeon + Kid)
    Hihidaruma - Marburn (Marble + Burn)
    Shimama - Zelektron (Zebra + Electron)
    Gear - Bolts
    Dr. Araragi - Prof. Lycae (Acc. to Wikipedia Araragi is a genus of a butterfly in the family Lycaenidae)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Pokemon Renames

As we know, American pronounciation is way different from Japanese. Thus, when faced with some Japanese Pokemon names, America changes them to be more understandable for small children.

In many cases, they like to make puns out of their names.

For example, Gulpin, who's original Japanese name is Gokulin, was changed and it could be said that the gulp in Gulpin derives from the word gulping. Ironically, it learns moves such as Spit Up and Swallow which all connect to gulping.

But so far, Legendary Pokemon's original names seemed to be retained.

So even though we know their original names, there is still room to speculate what some of the newly revealed 5th Generation Pokemon's English names might be.

So let's hear what you think some of the new Pokemon's names might be.

I'm going to guess Giaru's names may be based off the word Gear and it could be Digear or Twigear.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    As we know, American pronounciation is way different from Japanese. Thus, when faced with some Japanese Pokemon names, America changes them to be more understandable for small children.

In many cases, they like to make puns out of their names.

For example, Gulpin, who's original Japanese name is Gokulin, was changed and it could be said that the gulp in Gulpin derives from the word gulping. Ironically, it learns moves such as Spit Up and Swallow which all connect to gulping.

But so far, Legendary Pokemon's original names seemed to be retained.

So even though we know their original names, there is still room to speculate what some of the newly revealed 5th Generation Pokemon's English names might be.

So let's hear what you think some of the new Pokemon's names might be.

I'm going to guess Giaru's names may be based off the word Gear and it could be Digear or Twigear.

Mijumaru = Wotter
    Pokabu = Pyroink/Boarbeque

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I'm pretty sure "Gearu" itself will be called "Gear" in the English pronounciation. It's just how the Japanese say "Gear" themselves. As for the others, I have no idea. We need some Japanese speakers to help. XD;

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I'm really annoyed at the people who say those rumours aren't true because "Minotauros" is an English name.

Er, no it's not, Tauros is still called Kentauros in Japan, Minotauros makes perfect sense there.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Serene, I agree that Gear will be part of it's anme but I doubt that would be it's anme alone. I bet it will be a pun off it. I say this because Haunter's Japanese name is Ghost but they changed it be a pun of haunt. I think this because they don't want the kid's to confuse these words with the actual Pokemon.

The only exception I can think of at the moment is Gloom, but gloom isn't an actual physical thing, but a verb.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    The thing is, I can only think of them punning the word gear with a word similar with the word two.

I really can't think of what else they could pun it from. Maybe a machine word or something.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Cogear! - Cog-Gear.
    Cogonite! - like Magnemite.
    Gearo? - Lol.
    Gearn! - Sounds 4th Gen
    Duogear! - Duo Gear?
    Duocog! - Duo Cog?

None that are good in the slighest. )':

Status
    Not open for further replies.