• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script✓] Black map after a Warp

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Hi everyone,
    I have a script that ends with a warp, but it brings me to a black screen. I can hear the right music of the map and open the menu, but can't move (I hear the bumps if I try). I googled it but can't find a fix that works, tried several different things to no avail. Does anyone know a solution? I'm using advancemap 1.9.2 and Fire Red.
    This is the script (I removed the flavor text):
    Spoiler:

Thanks for the help. It's my first "complex" script and without this I can't keep going with my romhack, since it precedes the handing of the starter.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Is there a script that occurs when you enter a new map? Does the new map's map header end in a 0, 4, 8 or C?
    This warp command looks shady: "warp 0x4 0x3 0xC7 0xE6D5 0xE3D7"
    Map bank 4, map number 3, warp 199?, and coordinates outside of any map? You might want to repoint the movement/flavor text offsets.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Like ShinyTillDawn said, those last 3 arguments of your warp command make no sense.
    Also the warp doesn't end script execution so you should add an "end" command after it (and maybe a "waitstate" if you don't want the player to have control during the warp)

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Is there a script that occurs when you enter a new map? Does the new map's map header end in a 0, 4, 8 or C?
    This warp command looks shady: "warp 0x4 0x3 0xC7 0xE6D5 0xE3D7"
    Map bank 4, map number 3, warp 199?, and coordinates outside of any map? You might want to repoint the movement/flavor text offsets.
    No, there's no new script for now when entering the map (it's a modified oak's lab). The map's header ends in a 0. The command modified itself when I played the rom, I inserted something different. It should have been warp bank 4, number 3, warp 1. Coordinates should be x: 0006 and y: 000C

Like ShinyTillDawn said, those last 3 arguments of your warp command make no sense.
    Also the warp doesn't end script execution so you should add an "end" command after it (and maybe a "waitstate" if you don't want the player to have control during the warp)
    I remember writing "release, end" but It modified itself when I played it in the emulator, is it possible? I'll add waitstate too

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Scripts shouldn't modify themselves when played on an emulator. What probably happened was that you already compiled the script, and you changed text/movement commands (or added a command) right after, which causes XSE to try to convert strings/movement commands into text/command parameters. That has happened to me, before.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Scripts shouldn't modify themselves when played on an emulator. What probably happened was that you already compiled the script, and you changed text/movement commands (or added a command) right after, which causes XSE to try to convert strings/movement commands into text/command parameters. That has happened to me, before.
    I checked and it modifies right after I save, compile, and close it in XSE, when I reopen it, it turns back to what I put in the spoiler of the first post. I don't touch anything at all after trying to fix it so I don't really get what could it be...

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I would advise deleting that script and rewriting it again from scratch, if that's the issue you're having.

This is how the regular warp command works:

Code:
    warp 0x(map bank) 0x(map no.) 0x(warp no.) 0x0 0x0

Your warp command is this:

Code:
    warp 0x4 0x3 0xC7 0xE6D5 0xE3D7

As people said, you may want to investigate the final three parameters of your warp command.

The middle parameter is trying to warp to warp no. 199 of your map (C7 in Hex) and the last two parameters in your script should be
    Code:
    0x0 0x0

It's also good practice to use a
    Code:
    waitstate
    command after warping to prevent the player from moving around freely during the warping event.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    I would advise deleting that script and rewriting it again from scratch, if that's the issue you're having.

This is how the regular warp command works:

Code:
    warp 0x(map bank) 0x(map no.) 0x(warp no.) 0x0 0x0

Your warp command is this:

Code:
    warp 0x4 0x3 0xC7 0xE6D5 0xE3D7

As people said, you may want to investigate the final three parameters of your warp command.

The middle parameter is trying to warp to warp no. 199 of your map (C7 in Hex) and the last two parameters in your script should be
    Code:
    0x0 0x0

It's also good practice to use a
    Code:
    waitstate
    command after warping to prevent the player from moving around freely during the warping event.

Thank you! I rewrote it entirely and it made the game freeze: searching on google I found I had to write unknown: 0300 and var number: 4050 in advance map. It then froze at the end of the script but I realized I wrote waitstate before the warp. Using it after as you said, ultimately resolved the issue. Thanks so much to you especially but to everyone else too of course!

Back