• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Breeding: another anti hack method?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So obviously people will cheat and that will never go away, HOWEVER, this gen saw hack checks in the form of Pokebank actively checking what is being sent over from previous games and while it does have flaws such as preventing some allegedly legitimate pokemon through and allowing pokemon that were hacked but hacked to be legitimate looking, all in all it's been pretty effective from preventing very obviously hacked pokemon through (like a Wonder Guard Spiritomb or what have you).

However, it doesn't seem to be the only method of anti cheating they are using. The Everstone (from B2 and W2 onward) now passes down the nature of the holder 100% of the time and as of X and Y the Destiny Knot passes down 5IVs of the parents so with those two measures, it definitely makes breeding the pokemon you want a lot more manageable. I know in Gen 3 I got an Action Replay to get all perfect pokemon, but with the Destiny Knot and Everstone, I find not only am I breeding the way you're supposed to, but you can get the results you're looking for in as little as a couple of hours if you're lucky so there's not really any motivation to get a cheat device at all now (for me, at least).

I bring all this up because at the moment I am breeding a Budew in order to get a Modest male with Extrasensory but because of that, I can't use an Everstone so the natures are random and after 90 eggs I only got 2 female modest Budews both with the wrong IV spreads, and my Brave Munchlax took a week to breed before I got a Brave one with the spread I wanted (I would have preferred an Adamant one, but brave with everything but speed is what I got and the adamant ones were all female but I wanted Male) and my Timid Wobbuffet also took a week to get 1 timid one, but did not get the IV spread I wanted, so if ALL pokemon took this long, I would absolutely have gotten a cheat device as soon as one was available, but since most you can use a Destiny Knot and Everstone on, as I said before, breeding the perfect pokemon could take a couple of hours now if you're lucky so since I can churn out 3 sometimes 4 perfect pokemon in a day it certainly prevented me from even wanting to cheat now, so do you think the breeding additions (specifically the Destiny Knot) was another attempt to lessen hacking and cheating? Cause I can vouch that it certainly prevent at least 1 person from getting a cheating device, that's for sure!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    It's still useful for cloning.

And unfortunately, many "cheaters" think it's also a good tool for getting hacked Wonder Cards. But let's go to the anti-hack mechanisms. Perhaps the fact that the date on a Pokémon is now the Wonder Card receiving date might help identify legit. ones. You still can't tell clones apart, but most collectors accept clones because it's almost impossible to get some events WITHOUT using cloning. And even then, some people will lie about the fact that they're clones and trade them anyway. That said, some collectors go to the point of only trading codes, which MIGHT be one reason Nintendo is moving more to code distribution now; they see traders trading codes, and figure if people want to trade their only code, that ensures it's legitimate and never cloned.

No wonder they are so popular on trading boards.

Granted, I've checked other games on the device. This is the only game with large-scale codes implemented. Nintendo, I think, knows that.

cjakabuck90

Rising Star
    Years
  • One plausible reason to hack is transfer moves. People have their own opinions of course but somethings are practically unobtainable without cheat devices. If they make everything obtainable to everyone maybe we'll have less "cheaters" but let's face it that won't happen so they'll always be unfair advantages one way or another

Years
  • Well I agree that the enhanced methods for breeding can prevent (to a certain degree) the hacking of competitive pokes. Of course, if we nly take into account IV's, natures and egg moves. As cjakabuck90 said transfer moves, shininess( even when the chances to get one have increased a LOT) and well maybe 6IVs continue to be tempting in terms of hacking, as they can pass as legal without problem. Cyclone mentioned something very important, and that is the event-cloning-etc issue. Nintendo seems to want to adress this as cloning and getting wonder cards without the official distribution is even of more importance, but at the same time is kinda Nintendo's fault as not everyone in the world can get the events(wi-fi helped a little bit, but still wireles events are a problem to get).

Until this issue is somehow fixed, it all comes down to the basic questions most trainers confront: Am I ok with cloned pokemon?(method of cloning aside) and Am I ok with mwthods to get event pokemon that are not official? (like the people that gave themselves Oak's letter back in Gen IV or just the wonder card for a specific poke).

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Well I agree that the enhanced methods for breeding can prevent (to a certain degree) the hacking of competitive pokes. Of course, if we nly take into account IV's, natures and egg moves. As cjakabuck90 said transfer moves, shininess( even when the chances to get one have increased a LOT) and well maybe 6IVs continue to be tempting in terms of hacking, as they can pass as legal without problem. Cyclone mentioned something very important, and that is the event-cloning-etc issue. Nintendo seems to want to adress this as cloning and getting wonder cards without the official distribution is even of more importance, but at the same time is kinda Nintendo's fault as not everyone in the world can get the events(wi-fi helped a little bit, but still wireles events are a problem to get).

Until this issue is somehow fixed, it all comes down to the basic questions most trainers confront: Am I ok with cloned pokemon?(method of cloning aside) and Am I ok with mwthods to get event pokemon that are not official? (like the people that gave themselves Oak's letter back in Gen IV or just the wonder card for a specific poke).

Well that's not really the issue (and everyone is kinda veering off topic, I said right in my first sentence that people will cheat and that will never go away, this thread was more to discuss whether the new breeding mechanics were an attempt to lessen hacking, which in fairness, Loner_grunger did stick the closest to the topic) as if you get an event pokemon you get the Wonder Card but if you traded that pokemon to someone else, you still have the card but they don't (there are some exceptions that do allow the passing of wonder cards from one to the other, but not as a normal rule). It's not a hacked pokemon, they just don't have the card. Also, after 24 Wonder cards, your oldest ones get deleted anyway, so it's not really a method of hack checking so much as it is a method to activate the NPC characters in game to give you the pokemon that is being given out. (if you delete the card, you can't get the gift from the girl in the Pokemon Center) as bulbapedia states: "The gifts provided by the Wonder Cards can be received from specific non-player characters."

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wonder_Card

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2015
    Some people hack because they just want to experience certain parts of the game that they otherwise wouldn't be able to easily or at all (via content, skill gap, time spent, or otherwise). MOST serious hacking is because people enjoy having an inadvertent advantage over other people in some way or another.

Hacking isn't a problem until you start affecting the gameplay of others; THEN it's a problem and those are the people that you don't want playing the games. Hacking in the "hacking community" is a lot like drug use in the real world (as far as behavioral deviance is concerned); drugs collectively are illegal.. and that doesn't deter drug users. They accepted the social stigma and potential ramifications for getting caught, and the benefits to them outweight the cons. Similarly, if we gave them rewards it still wouldn't deter them any as they've already determined that their priorities are greater than everyone else's. Doesn't make them evil, but it does make them self-centered and unfortunately it destroys everyone else's experience(s) in the process.. and that's when new rules and restrictions are formed.

The items you're talking about were most likely added because it cut down on the amount of grinding required to enjoy the deeper parts of the game, and in turn - helps newcomers to that area of the game 'get into it' further. If cheating was their primary concern they would have went about things a completely different way because the way they implemented it was just sloppy, honestly.

Back