• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Breeding Methods for Gen VI

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
  • Alright, I have been seeing a lot of questions about this pop up. Though some are from new fans, others are still a bit unsure of the changes made. So here's a quick "how to" for common breeding methods that incorporates the changes in Gen VI, specifically for the destiny knot.

Power items still function pretty much the same, so no need to cover those, you can find information on them all over. The difference is when used with a destiny knot, I have found no information on how that works online yet so I will mention that specifically.

The destiny knot on it's own will cause five IVs to be inherited from the parents, which parent each is inherited from is randomly selected as well as which IVs are inherited. In a batch of about 10 eggs you are likely to get one that resembles each of the two parents, and at least one that is a mix of parents with stats you want inherited.

If you are attempting to get a specific max IV and have others maxed, then here's a quick way to get it in about 15 to 20 eggs. Choose the female for the pokemon you want to be the result, give it the destiny knot. Find a pokemon it can breed with that has the maxed IV you want and give it the appropriate power item.

The destiny knot will select the five random IVs, and all but the one covered by the power item will be random. The power item ensures that if the resulting pokemon inherits the IV in that stat it will come from the parent holding the power item.

Example:

Female maxed IVs: hp, atk, def
    Male maxed IV: sdef

Give the female the destiny knot.
    Give the male the power band.

Breed about 15 eggs then check the IVs.
    At least one will have maxed hp, atk, def, and sdef.

.Scream

Professor
    Years
  • Is this the proper way of doing the destiny knot method? I've been struggling for ages and it takes a LOT of time.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • Is this the proper way of doing the destiny knot method? I've been struggling for ages and it takes a LOT of time.
    I Did prefer breeding 5-ivs males that cover almost every group, and keep breeding within the same egg group until you get a male replica of the female ( because its hard for me to get even a 5-ivs ditto)
    In the same way, it is advisable that if you are gonna breed a pokemon that is in your safaris, you catch plenty of exemplars until you can couple, say, an atk-def male wit an hp-speed female (or any two combinations of four different ivs)

Back