• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Breeding Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Soon, the Breeder's Corner sub forum will be gone. Instead, we'll be moving all breeding inquiries into this sticky. Why you ask? Because threads in that forum tend to attract massive amounts of SPAM and people answering the question over and over with no new information. Instead, we'll focus on quick answering methods like in the Request a Move Set and the Simple Q&A thread.

What's acceptable in this thread. Here are some examples:

• How do you get <insert egg move> on <random Pokemon>?
    • Why isn't <Pokemon> breeding with <Pokemon>?
    • What item do I need to breed <Pokemon>?

Questions about soft resetting are also acceptable here.

Here's a rundown of some of the more common questions:

• Can you breed a Shiny Pokemon from Shiny Parents? The Answer is No.
    • How does one pass on TM from parent to child? The Father must know the move and the child must be capable of learning the TM.

There will be more covered in the Breeding FAQ I am working on, so stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:

White Lotus

As High As Wu-Tang Gets
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    Heya guys, I'm sad to see the Breeder's Corner go.

I had a post in the BC about my breeding in anticipation for Platinum but never got a chance to see any responses so i'll post the question again.

I'm about to start breeding a Vaporeon for my WiFi team in Platinum and i'm going with Wish Support version, Bold ~ (*Surf / *Toxic / *Protect / *Wish). If i were to luck out and get a +65 *HP Electric than i would probably go with that over *Toxic but for now it's looking like the set above.

Now i use my old Emerald technique via Dittos passing on 31 IVs so i can get 3 Flawless IVs on both parents to maximize my chances of getting good IVs for my other less desirable stats. So my question is which 3 stats should i focus on getting 31 in?

Right now i'm leaning towards Bold ~ 31 HP / 31 Def / 31 SDf. Am i missing out on maximizing my EV's though if i do it this way since i will need to use an exact Speed number to outspeed certain pokes? Smogon has the EV spread as 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Speed so getting anything less than a 31 IV in Speed would result in me losing EVs in HP or not outspeeding certain pokes which would not be cool at all.

Obviously HP / Def must be 31 but should my 3rd flawless be Special Defense or Speed?

Any thoughts?

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Can you breed a Shiny Pokemon from Shiny Parents? The Answer is No.
    You should probably rephrase that question since you're making it sound like it's impossible to get a shiny Pokemon from shiny parents even though it's entirely possible.

Paradox Dragonite

Don't laugh at my CB Froslass!
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    White Lotus: I see Special defense being more of a priority considering Vaporeon is most often a Bulky Water. It doesn't need the speed IV to do its job based on the EVs. Go with the plan you have now.

White Lotus

As High As Wu-Tang Gets
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks Paradox, that's what i was thinking but i don't know the Speed Tiers as well as i did in 3rd Gen so i wanted to make sure there wasn't a specific speed i had to have in order to outspeed a specific threat.

Paradox Dragonite

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Hm, well, Vaporeon isn't going to be sweeping or Baton Passing, so the speed is a moot point, I think. However, Smogon DOES say to use the Speed, so it can outpace CB Metagross and Skarmory. If you think these may be a threat, you can consider getting that 31 Speed IV over Special Defense.

Years
    Since IVs determined if a Pokemon were shiny or not in Gen II, does that mean there'd be at least an increased chance of breeding for a shiny in G/S/C?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    Yeah, if one parent is shiny I think the odds are 1/64, and the odds of getting a shiny poke from breeding was much greater than now. But.... isn't that kind of an odd question to ask considering you can't even trade G/S/C pokes to 3rd gen or 4th gen?

But for my own question: I'm breeding a shinx (don't ask why =p), and I'm planning on using the Mixed Attacker set that Smogon has for Luxray, which in case you don't know is:

Rash/Naive
    Intimidate
    EVs: 120 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 136 Spe
    Moveset:
    Thunderbolt
    Return (I'm using this instead of HP Grass, I'm not that advanced at IV breeding)
    Crunch
    Ice Fang

Anyways, all the other moves I can handle on my currently bred Shinx:
    Naïve #403 Shinx: 13 / 29 / 23 / 31 / 9 / 31

Now, can anyone help me figure out a chain of breeding to get said move (Ice Fang) onto Shinx while still keeping the IVs intact? Thanks!https://www.smogon.com/dp/natures/naive

Last edited:

Paradox Dragonite

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    I think Jigg's question might belong in the 2nd Gen forum. ^^
    It's good to note, though, that it's impossible to breed TWO shiny Pokemon together, since their DVs are too similar.

Years
    I think Jigg's question might belong in the 2nd Gen forum. ^^
    It's good to note, though, that it's impossible to breed TWO shiny Pokemon together, since their DVs are too similar.

...There's a 2nd Gen forum? Anyway, thanks. That also answered my un-asked question of 8 years of why parents and offspring couldn't breed in Gen II.

Paradox Dragonite

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Haha, I really think it shouldn't be allowed anyway.

But actually, parents and offspring CAN breed, it's just you can't breed two shinies together. This includes if one parents and the offspring are both shiny. =3

And by 2nd gen, I meant the RBY and GSC forum. < _< I'm still new here, after all.

White Lotus

As High As Wu-Tang Gets
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    Dammit, i just hatched a shiny Eevee and it was on the first round of breeding so its stats are hot garbage - totally random. One of its parents is a 31 Def Ditto ----> Yuck.

After crunching numbers he looks like...

~SHINY~
    Eevee - Male - Lv. 5
    'Run Away' - Makes escaping easier.
    Gentle <+SDf / -Def>
    IVs: HP 9 / Att 18 / Def 22 / SAt 17 / SDf 4 / Spd 14
    Hidden Power: Rock <38>
    * Tackle
    * Tail Whip
    * Helping Hand
    * Wish

Freaking Gross. What a Waste. It is on Emerald so i can clone but who would want this clunker?

Sorry if this isn't the place for this but i would've taken it to Breeder's Corner so just lemme know for future reference.

Any other thoughts about the whole Special Defense vs Speed for last 31 IV question? I'm leaning pretty hard towards Special Defense at the moment.

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
    Years
    hey there. im just breeding shuckles for a team im making. not competative, just for fun. but i want them to be good, so i wanted decent IVs. i just hatched there two, but dont know which one would be better. here are the IVs

19, 24, 30, 12, 31, 13 (Sassy male)
    27, 15, 30, 17, 29, 9 (Sassy female)

i know the male has better sp.atk, but the female has higher hp, and has higher stats overall i guess. which one would be better as a general defense shuckle?

thanks
    Fishy

Years
    definatly the Female as you dont need sp.att on shuckle lol..
    @white lotus...Bad luck on the shiny..though id say go all out on sp.defnece!

As for my qustion..Anyone know a good guide to learn how to iv breed?please post the link,thanks in adv.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    hey there. im just breeding shuckles for a team im making. not competative, just for fun. but i want them to be good, so i wanted decent IVs. i just hatched there two, but dont know which one would be better. here are the IVs

19, 24, 30, 12, 31, 13 (Sassy male)
    27, 15, 30, 17, 29, 9 (Sassy female)

i know the male has better sp.atk, but the female has higher hp, and has higher stats overall i guess. which one would be better as a general defense shuckle?

thanks
    Fishy

Shuckle doesn't need Special Attack, so definitely go with the female.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    ^It can learn in two ways:
    -If the father is a Torkoal that knows Heat Wave or
    -From one of the Platinum Move Tutors

I have a question, as well.

I've been breeding for a Cyndaquil, and I think I might have found a good one. Should I use it, or should I keep breeding? Here's the info:

Nature: Modest
    IVs: 31/19/21/26/18/26

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    ^It can learn in two ways:
    -If the father is a Torkoal that knows Heat Wave or
    -From one of the Platinum Move Tutors

I have a question, as well.

I've been breeding for a Cyndaquil, and I think I might have found a good one. Should I use it, or should I keep breeding? Here's the info:

Nature: Modest
    IVs: 31/19/21/26/18/26

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

I'd honesty recommend re-breeding it. You are going to want 31s in speed and special attack. I would recommend using it as a parent though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back