• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Breeding tips?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Breeding questions thread

So I did use the "search this forum" button to look and no dedicated threads came up within the last couple months so hopefully this is okay.

So I like a lot of people may have lots of questions regarding breeding and I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread exclusively for breeding questions (anything not related to breeding not for this thread) just to help out people that may just want help with that aspect. If you have questions or answers regarding breeding or helpful tips for other people who may have just started breeding.

I am breeding a Minccino and I know the encounter rate is 75% female, but out of 12 or 13 Minccinos I have ONLY hatched female Minccinos so I was wondering, have I just been really unlucky or does breeding with a Ditto OR the Mincinno holding an Everstone only result in the same gender as the non ditto pokemon? (first pokemon I've bred, so I don't know!)

I've gotten the formula down for the accept/reject save & reset breeding so I dont have a thousand eggs, and I do already have a 3 IV Mincinno but I'm going to need a male pretty soon and just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong to cause myself to only get females.

Also, interesting trivia tip just in case people didn't know, Mincinno when it evolves learns a series of moves that normally you have to take it to a move relearner with a prism scale (right item name?) in order to learn (Bullet seed, Rock Blast, Helping Hand, Tickle, Sing and Tail Slap) however, since they are not level up moves, technically the pokemon learns it at level 1 but since most people don't necessarily evolve it right away, they may not know that if you use the Shiny Stone on the Minccino as soon as it hatches at level 1, it evolves and then learns all 6 moves (two obviously you need to forget or simply not learn) but yeah, you can have a perfect IVed Cinccino at level 1 with Skill Link and Bullet Seed, Rock Bast and Tail Slap right off the bat!

Edit: And if you want to know what breeding method I am referring to, here is a video link. It's extremely useful, and I found extremely easy, just I don't have enough IVs on one pokemon in order to make it fast. I do have 6 Dittos and between them I have 31 IVs in every stat, but it just takes a while to get them all onto parents so I think a couple days per pokemon unless I start getting some 4+ IVed Dittos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtLqTc8IaM

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Hey Howmander,

It's not you're doing anything wrong here, believe me, it's just a higher chance getting a female Minccino rather than a male. It's the same with, for example, Growlithe which has the same chances on encountering a male (75%) or female (25%).

Breeding with Ditto and a Minccino holding an Everstone DOES NOT affect chances in getting a desired gender from the parent holding this Item. This will only affect passing on the Nature of the parent Pokemon holding the Everstone (50% chance if the mother OR Ditto holds an Everstone). Please do note that this only works when the "mother" (female) parent Pokemon holds the Everstone. So, if you are breeding with a male Minccino and a Ditto, the Ditto is the mother-Pokemon here. Not sure what you are breeding with, but if you do breed with a female Minccino (which I suppose you do), you're safe. But this does not affect getting a higher chance to obtain a male/female "faster". Just a matter of some luck.

I'm aware which breeding method you are using, I sure hope you will get that male Minccino with the perfect stats ;)

Well, the Move Relearner requires a Heart Scale to be able to relearn your Pokemon some moves :) A Prism Scale is used for Feebas, when you trade one holding this item, it will evolve into a Milotic ;)
    But, it's a great tip! n_n

You might want to check on Egg moves too for Minccino, I once hatched a Minccino with these moves: Aqua Tail, Iron Tail, Tail Slap and Echoed Voice ;) If you're interested in Egg Moves, you pretty much need to find a Pokemon which knows Aqua Tail and Iron Tail both, and you will get there! ;)
    Please do note, you might not know so just in case, when you breed for Egg Moves, one of the Parent Pokemon is sometimes from "another species" than the Pokemon you would like to hatch from the Egg. So, a Minccino can breed with a Growlithe for example. You'll need to have a female Minccino and a male Growlithe for this on order to hatch a Minccino. The Pokemon that would hatch from an Egg with DIFFERENT parents like these, would always be the same Pokemon as the mother is ;)

I remember breeding for a female Amaura, took me A LOT of time to hatch a female, since the chances here are 87,5% male and 12,5% female or so, luckily the gender chances are somewhat higher (male) for a Minccino ;) So hang in there and make sure you have enough patience to do so :)

Good luck breeding your male Minccino! It will take some dedication, but eventually you will get there with enough patience!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    I had a look online but seems a bit complex for my pea sized brain lol, anyone any easy tips to follow? At the moment I'm just breeding pokemon of same species ( as no ditto safari) and managed to get a 5iv pokemon on 7th egg. Who should be holding the destiny knot and who should be holding the BP items such as power lens. Thanks in advance ^_^

.Lacie

Pokémon Overlord!
    Years
  • If you are using destiny knot, you don't need the power items anymore as DK passes 3 to 5 IVs whoever holds it. The other pokemon should hold everstone to retain it's nature so give it to the pokemon of your chosen nature.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    Ah thanks :) that's one of the things I didn't know. Just managed to get a perfect 6iv pokemon, so off to find the everstone I go.
    Also do bug types breed with other bug types, dragon with dragon or how does it work. Sorry I'm pretty new to this game.

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
  • Ah thanks :) that's one of the things I didn't know. Just managed to get a perfect 6iv pokemon, so off to find the everstone I go.
    Also do bug types breed with other bug types, dragon with dragon or how does it work. Sorry I'm pretty new to this game.

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/ if you scroll down it shows the egg groups or if you find the poke you wish to breed it will tell you what egg group/what it can breed with in the egg group dropdown on the page

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    many thanks :D ! I never knew there was so much behind pokemon :o

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    If you are using destiny knot, you don't need the power items anymore as DK passes 3 to 5 IVs whoever holds it. The other pokemon should hold everstone to retain it's nature so give it to the pokemon of your chosen nature.

Actually just to clarify, the Destiny knot passes down 5 IVs from both parents, so it could be 3 IVs from the holder, but also 2 from the other parent, or any combination from both parents that add up to 5. (so 1 from one parent, 4 from the other, 3 from one, 2 from the other, etc. Even though the last several Minccino's I've bred it's always seemed to be 3 from one, 2 from the other for some reason)

.Lacie

Pokémon Overlord!
    Years
  • Oh my bad. But the one who should hold the destiny knot early is the pokemon who has more ivs. Sometimes the egg gets 4 of it's IV in one parent. You can use the time machine method.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
    Years
  • Ah thanks :) that's one of the things I didn't know. Just managed to get a perfect 6iv pokemon, so off to find the everstone I go.

Wait, you've got a 6IV Pokémon that easy? Okay, question, does the IV checker dude from Kiloude say "With Stats like these... They can't be beat!"?

If he does, congrats you've got a 6IV Pokémon and while jealous I take my hat off to your superior breeding skills.

If he just says something along the lines of "Fantastic Stats" then you're a point short of having an IV (around 30 instead of 31). I've been there and I was pretty much enraged when I found out all my breedings amounted to absolutely nothing...

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
  • Wait, you've got a 6IV Pokémon that easy? Okay, question, does the IV checker dude from Kiloude say "With Stats like these... They can't be beat!"?

If he does, congrats you've got a 6IV Pokémon and while jealous I take my hat off to your superior breeding skills.

If he just says something along the lines of "Fantastic Stats" then you're a point short of having an IV (around 30 instead of 31). I've been there and I was pretty much enraged when I found out all my breedings amounted to absolutely nothing...

Mine says can't be beat on my 30s and 31s

Years
  • Oh my bad. But the one who should hold the destiny knot early is the pokemon who has more ivs. Sometimes the egg gets 4 of it's IV in one parent. You can use the time machine method.
    It doesn't matter who is holding the destiny knot. Usually one Pokémon is holding an everstone to get the desired nature and so the destiny knot is held by the Pokémon which has a nature that isn't needed.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    Wait, you've got a 6IV Pokémon that easy? Okay, question, does the IV checker dude from Kiloude say "With Stats like these... They can't be beat!"?

Thanks, yeah the guy says all the 6 stats then states they can't be beaten, I was rather surprised myself as I have heard its hard to get a 6iv, now have tonnes of 4/5iv goomy's I'm sticking in the WT xD. Seems my luck has run out though as trying to breed the same 6iv pokemon with the nature I want. After many hours no success :(.

Apologies in starting a new thread BTW, hadn't noticed there already was a breeding one. (Stupid phone won't allow me to search) But thanks for moving it into this one :) I'm sure lots of people have many breeding questions so nice one making it ^_^

Last edited:

King Zelos

Blame Your Fate
    Years
  • Ah! Perfect! I am currently breaking my head over breeding egg moves. Maybe some of you guys can help me out!

Here is the problem. I am trying to breed Growlithe with Close Combat. From what I understand, I need a Male or Female Mankey that has learned Close Combat through level up. I have already done this. Here is where I am confused, I've heard that in Pokemon X and Y Mothers can now pass down egg moves, so I went on and made my Female Mankey breed with a Male Growlithe. Problem is it just breeds another Mankey, not a Growlithe. So I have to get a Male Mankey and a Female Growlithe for it to work?

Also another problem I am having. I want my Arcanine to have Flare Blitz as well As Extreme Speed. Problem is, Arcanine learns Extreme Speed at level 34 and Growlithe learns Flare Blitz at level 45. How on earth am I supposed to get those two skills on my Arcanine? Help me, PLEASE Q_Q

famillan

Addicted.
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    Yes. All pokemon will be the same specie as the mother, always and females will most likely pass down their HA to the babies. However, for the male to pass its HA to the child it needs to breed with a Ditto and only then that it will be able to pass its HA (that's what I learned). The tricky part in this situation is how your Mankey will pass it on to Growlithe... Hmm, indeed...

These are really tough tho lol I can only just provide you with knowledge that I learned when I researched about breeding. Sorry ;;

King Zelos

Blame Your Fate
    Years
  • Yes. All pokemon will be the same specie as the mother, always and females will most likely pass down their HA to the babies. However, for the male to pass its HA to the child it needs to breed with a Ditto and only then that it will be able to pass its HA (that's what I learned). The tricky part in this situation is how your Mankey will pass it on to Growlithe... Hmm, indeed...

These are really tough tho lol I can only just provide you with knowledge that I learned when I researched about breeding. Sorry ;;
    Yeah, I just now tried it with a with a Male Mankey and Female Growlithe, it worked I got it -- Growlithe came out with Close Combat. Now the main problem is figuring out how I can get Flare Blitz and Extreme Speed on Arcanine. Man, this stuff makes my head hurt @_@

famillan

Addicted.
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    Yeah, I just now tried it with a with a Male Mankey and Female Growlithe, it worked I got it -- Growlithe came out with Close Combat. Now the main problem is figuring out how I can get Flare Blitz and Extreme Speed on Arcanine. Man, this stuff makes my head hurt @_@

I bet it does. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt too... But isn't that just trial and error? Level up two growlithes (with close combat already) then evolve one and not the other. Then, just breed them together and pray that both moves will be passed down....

Back