• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building your own computer. Your thoughts please.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Well, for a few weeks now, I've been thinking of making my own computer. I'm come up with a list of the parts that I'd like. Plus, I've figured out how to earn money for them ;). It's also really got me thinking about my own future. Ah, my own computer repair shop...

Anyways, I wouldn't mind some personal opinions on this subject. You know, to fill me in.
    Any thoughts?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Well I am not a computer expert but my dad is pretty good with them and has made nearly all the computers we have owned.
    His reply was because if you know what you are doing, it can be much cheaper and gives you something to do. Although if you are not experienced with computers or electronics, it would be advised you don't do it.
    But that is just common sense.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I do know a lot about computers, how they work, that kind of stuff. Sounds like your Dad's pretty good with his hands. In my family, I'm the one they call for technology advice. Not to brag. Thanks, noxious.

Zet

Years
    you just need to hope that all the parts will work together, but I think building your computer is a cheaper way of getting a better quality computer instead of paying like 10k to Dell for a top of the line

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Dell's a good brand, we use their products at work and haven't had a single outage yet. :x

In any case, the actual building is a simpler task than actually getting the right parts.
    Like when you get an overpowered CPU, but your mainboard can't use it's full potential, then your power will be behind even lower CPU models.

Also be aware that you don't have a warranty in the complete-PC sense, meaning you can't just bring in your whole PC to get checked under warranty, or have a tech come out to you, but have to find the defunctional part yourself and have to send it in.

But overall you can get an all quality parts PC for like 100-200 bucks more than a complete one, have only the things that you need, and usually have more power.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    Here are a few older but useful tutorials that I relevant.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?listing=articles&id=26&page=1v
    https://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
    https://www.journeysystems.com/?power_supply_calculator

Depending on what your going to build, you can build a computer with only having to buy six parts. That's more of a generic machine. I'll post more about what I think about computer parts shortly, I have a feeling that's what your asking about.

Minimum you'll need:
    Case w/400W PSU
    Motherboard w/onboard video
    Processor
    Hard Drive
    RAM
    DVD Burner

Years
    Building a computer is very easy. Many people think its a daunting task because theres so much wires and circu boards and etc. But in reality if youre careful its a very easy task composed of reading a manual, using screw drivers, and putting it together... Although getting thr right parts is important, any computer shop person or someone at an electronics store can help you out (:

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    Building your computer is both fun (in a cool, geeky challenging way) and rewarding.

The best thing you can do is talk to others who have built comps and ask them what parts they used and why. then do your own research and locate the best compatible parts you can afford.

This is nothing like watching the pc you built yourself powering up for the first time (and it didn't explode :p)

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Assembling a computer isn't that hard. My dad being a computer programmer taught me a lot about this subject. I personally like the idea of building your own computer because it allows you to choose what kind of hardware to use. Such as RAM, processor, hard drive, etc.

I think you should get a quad processor, the duo will soon be outdated (if it already isn't considered outdated).

pm_41

Gone and grown up
    Years
    Build the computer yourself. If you buy a brand-name model (Dell, HP, ect.), those come with soooooo many limitations (too much un-removable trialware, BIOS-locked motherboards, ect.).

If you build it yourself, you decide what goes in, what OS to use, even what mods to apply (liquid cooling system, LED case lights, overclocked processor, ect.). However, custom PCs do tend to cost more $$$ that brand-name PCs...

As for a recommendation, get at least an INTEL 3 GHz dual-core (AMD sucks badly), nVida graphics (i suck at spelling), at least 4 GB RAM, and either Windows Vista or Windows 7 Beta 1 (or both, if you know how to dual-boot).

shaggydude

The young Cricket
    Years
    Hey

Thats awsome man. I'm only 16 and i have had to biuld all of my computers from scratch because of economy issues. It is deff. the best way to biuld a fast computer for under half the price. Im curious are you into overclocking or gaming, programming even? What moboe did you buy? Also in my opinion i would buy a new box to hold that moboe. You can get a really nice one for 20 bucks at newegg.com.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Building a computer out of your own parts is quite easy.
    I've built and fixed my own PC a couple of times.
    I even helped a bunch of other people.

First, you'd need to tell me if you're looking for a state of the art gaming PC, or just a one that'll work out great for office needs.
    Then, you need to tell me how much money you can spend.
    I'll try helping out at choosing after you tell me these.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    My family's built one before; when it was new, it was a god machine. Now its partitions have failed and I'm waiting to reformat it and use it as an extra storage pile.

If you know what you're doing, building a computer can make the best machine you could ever possibly want.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    XD rukario that brings back one painful memory the last line. Ah that things melted super fast. I mean whatever was left in chunks.
    Anyway go for. Its more satisifying to go get the parts build it and watch it load. but of course you need some knowledge. i mean there are the cables and what not and you have to make sure everything is compatible. And thats all i have to say.

Years
    Just make sure your getting the parts cheap. My computer was mostly free because I was given the tower and motherboard with the main parts from my father's old work place. All I had to buy was ram and a soundcard, I learnt all the parts of the machine and where they go so I could put them in put them in and then that was me happy.
    I was just happy I got my computer for so cheap!

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I've built a computer before for one of my dad's friends. I really enjoyed it, everything worked out fine except I forgot to attach one wire and it wouldn't boot up. XD

One of my possible goals this year is to build a gaming-quality PC for myself. I've selected the parts I would use right now, but I'm sure by the time I'm ready to build they'll be outdated and I'll have a totally different setup. The price right now is about $650ish, and a comparable Dell (that's not even as powerful) is over $1000, so it definitely saves money to build one yourself. You can do it in an afternoon or even an evening after school - it only takes a couple hours, and probably not even that long once you know what you're doing and you've done it a few times. I might wait on building mine because I'm gonna need a new laptop this year, and that will probably take precedence over a desktop.

Back