• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Button-Mashing-Ball-Chucker!

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Okay, okay, crazy title aside, this topic was derived from many disputes between my brother and I. Anyways, I decided to let you guys in on the subject to see what your views were.

Okay, when playing in-game, do you ever press any buttons while catching a wild Pokemon? Take for instance, do you hold down the A button as the Pokemon tries to wriggle its way into freedom? Or do you sit patiently, thinking that pressing buttons serves no purpose what-so-ever?

For me, I commonly press the B button, while holding the Down button on the D-Pad. I don't really know why, I just do. Sometimes on legendaries, I'll hold A and rotate my thumb over the D-Pad as fast as I can. Again, I really don't know why, I just do it.

Anyways, I was just wondering how you guys felt. You know, whether or not pressing buttons even affects catching, or if it's good or bad. Or even if you have your own unique method.

Oh, and if anyone has done any tests on this, what are your results? Are there good methods for catching, or is it all chance?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Anyone who says holding a combo when throwing a Poke ball (of any type) will work is full of crap. It isn't true. There is no "trick" to it. If you do it as a "mental thing" to make you feel better, that is just fine. Continue doing so.

Absent

Absent > You
    Years
    Whenever I throw the Pokeball, I immediately press and hold the B button.

It's only a habit that I don't need. When I first played Blue Version, I was told that holding the B button would guarantee a catch (or turn it into a Masterball, as I was told). I started doing it from the beginning, and I've just developed a habit that, like I said, I really don't need.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2007
    I like to press A i know it doesn't do anything but by coincidence i do seem to catch pokemon more easier when i do that lol. probably just the state of mind.

Years
    I press up (sometimes) and A, I do believe. Been awhile since I tried capturing something. XD Another one of those "tricks", ya? XD;
    I have to mash a button. If I just keep it there, I'm like "nooooo, it's not going to work!" Of course, sometimes not pressing anything works. XD

Back