• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying New Laptop/Notebook

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Hey guys! I want to buy a new laptop, but I'm confused which one to go for. Would you guys give me some great suggestions? Brand doesn't matters, neither cost does (at a reasonable rate). I just want quality. Here are my minimum requirements:

Processor: Intel Core i3
    Memory (RAM): 4GB DDR3 (could satisfy for 3GB)
    HDD: Actually want the minimum possible, so that I can use external HDD. But as the minimum HDD is also atleast 320 GB, I'll go for that.
    Screen: Atleast 14". But 15.1" or 15.6" would be great, but should be HD atleast.
    DVD-RW (Don't need Blu-Ray)
    Bluetooth v2
    Wi-Fi
    Web Camera (2MP would be great, but could satisfy with 1.3 MP)
    Memory Card Reader
    Fingerprint Reader would be ok (But not necessary)
    Black Color Model (or something dark, like Dark Navy Blue, like that)

Extras:

Multimedia buttons on keyboard would be really great.
    HDMI port could be useful in future.
    Graphics card would also be good, but not much. I don't play much games. This is not even necessary.

One major thing is that, I really want the pre-installed OS to be Linux (free). Don't want Windows to come pre-installed and pay for that compulsorily. But if there's no option, then I'll think about getting Windows 7 bundled. But Linux is the first priority.

If possible, please provide links to the specific models, so that I can check for clear specifications. Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I'm sorry but first things first a full HD screen is at least 1928x1080 and you won't be getting that in a laptop... at a reasonable price.

I'm just going to throw this out there. This laptop meets your minimum requirements and will also do gaming if you want it to. https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-2900_Notebook/

Processor: Core i5 @ 2.40 GHz
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 1GB GDDR3
    HDD: 320 GB
    Screen: 15'6 "HD" (Resolution: 1366x768)

It's black, has a fingerprint reader, built in bluetooth... The only thing is it has a 1.3 MP webcam.

$899

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    No, laptop screens are usually HD. Even the laptop you suggest is "15.6" HD 16:9 Wide TFT". You do know that HD is only high screen resolution, nothing else. Laptops have HD. The Acer laptops I mentioned in the previous thread, they were HD. And yeah, I'd like some graphics card too, forgot to mention in first post. But it's not really necessary...

Dawn

Years
    Yeah, yeah, and my 800x600 monitor collecting dust in my basement is "HD" too.

It's not full HD unless it runs in 1920x1080.
    1080p, sometimes referred to in marketing materials as "Full HD", typically refers to the capability to accept 1080p signal and display it with native resolution of at least 1080 lines, as well as the capability to upscale lower-resolution material to 1080p.

HD ready 1080p logo program requires that certified TV sets support 1080p24, 1080p50, and 1080p60 formats, and feature a native resolution of 1920×1080, among other requirements.

Those links I provided you are a cheaper alternative to Alienware, basically. They'll do most all of the gaming you could ever want. =3 You can also go to software and remove the Windows from the machine and install your own Operating System when it comes and save yourself $80 or so

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Not that.
    "HD is just higher resolution than standard-definition (SD), and most commonly involves display resolutions of 1,280×720 pixels (720p) or 1,920×1,080 pixels (1080i/1080p)."

Dawn

Years
    Just saying, you try viewing Full HD content in just an "HD" screen and you'll get poor quality. =3

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X8-7600_Notebook/

18'4 screen, 1928x1080, processor is an i5 2.26 GHz which is slightly worse than the i5 2.40 GHz on the first two. Still a great processor though and an incredible screen for a laptop. Just thought I'd throw that laptop out there too. Honestly for that screen size for that price it's a steal, if you're willing. At least, I think so.

$1019

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    What is this "full HD" content and how is it different/better/advanced than plain "HD"? :o

Dawn

Years
    Plain HD is a lower resolution than FULL HD.

Full HD is the max quality you'll find, basically. If you try viewing Full HD content on a smaller screen such as a Plain HD screen it will be forced to scale down, which will cause quality loss.

In other words, significantly more pixels.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Well, the options are 14", 15.1" and 15.6". These all 3 will have same resolution, i.e. plain HD. So can't do anything about that anyways.

Dawn

Years
    Actually I just posted two different links for 1928x1080 (Full HD) laptops.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X8-7600_Notebook/ This one has an 18'4 screen. I guess you don't want one that big?

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X6-8500_Notebook/ This one has an 15'6 screen, but runs in 1920x1080... Oh and this one has a 2.0 MP webcam unlike the others, while I'm at it. Graphics card is different, an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 GDDR3 1GB PCIe 3D Video... Still a great card though. Just different.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    The second one is good. But it has i7 processor, and i5 too. But I'm kinda thinking to scale down to i3. i5 won't be utilized completely, would be waste. And most probably 4GB RAM too, but still I'll stick with 4GB RAM and i3. Oh and actually the laptop you are giving links of, are really very great. But there's no chance I'll get them here :(

Dawn

Years
    They... don't ship to where you are or something? That's... problematic. Can't say I know of any immediate other thoughts of where to go to get one. Perhaps I'll leave it up to somebody else then.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Yeah perhaps they won't ship to my place. Plus, I would actually like to see laptop first from my own eyes, before buying it. Haven't bought anything online, so can't take the chance on a big thing like laptop...Thanks for all the recommendations...I'll see if they are available here at shops, but they definitely won't be :(

Do you people buy it all online?

Dawn

Years
    I do. I've personally bought from that website before and I certainly got the computer I asked for =3

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Lucky you. But here if you have some problem, like defected piece or anything like that, you've to go through a lot of mess to get it ok, and which requires a lot of time! :(

shot571

Im guessing you live in India or something? Im pretty sure that Acer is manufactured there which is why its probably cheaper there than all the other brands. Ive personally got a HP. Its a pretty decent laptop for the price I bought it. Havent really needed customer support....yet. But all the problems with this laptop have been my own fault. Dont Rush getting your laptop. Actually look around and stuff. Itll help you get a better one in the end.And you said cost doesnt matter? Some sort of budget thing would be helpful I think for people trying to help you out. Reasonable can be different for every person.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Yea I'm in this stupid country. But I don't know about Acer being manufactured here or not.

And yes I've decided I'll search for few more days before buying.
    And I prefer spending between 25,000 INR (542$) to 36-37,000 INR (781$-803$). But I can increase budget a little, but will try to stay in this limit. Also, if we compare the cost of a laptop here, and the cost of same laptop there in U.S. (take any currency, INR or $), you'll see that we get it at higher price. Things are cheaper there.

Last edited:

Dawn

Years
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146775

Took a look at what Twocows posted. This laptop is $699 and appears to cover just about everything you want. It's also one of the brands he recommends. It will do light (But nothing more) gaming due to integrated graphics. My guess is it could probably play Halo 1 PC, maybe a hacked version of TF2 for extra low graphics (I say this because it's specs are quite close to my laptop's.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    Oh. Nice laptops. Wonder if I'll get here.
    The Lenovo IdeaPad V460 (0886-2BU) has just 4 hour battery life!!!???
    Acer Aspire TimelineX AS5820T-5951 on the same page, has battery life 8 hours! I use computer a lot!!!

The other laptops are of Sony and Asus, which I don't really want.

But these both laptops still have Windows 7 pre-installed. For which I've to pay 5,800 INR :(
    But they are good offer. I've to find out how much they cost here.

And can you guys tell me the difference between DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD Multi, DVD Super Multi, what is Dual Layer DVD Burner? I thought there's only 2 types of DVD and DVD Burners, R and RW.

Last edited:
    Back