• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can anyone show me the ropes of EV/IV training?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2010
    I was recently introduced to this concept and I would really like to learn more about it.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    It does exist a couple of articles on this topic. You might want to check this, this, and this out, but I'll add my own explaination anyways.

EV, or Effort Values, are hidden values that range from 0 to 255 that increase the stats of a pokemon. 4 EVs = 1 point in the skill at lvl 100, equaling that a Aggron with 4 EVs in Attack would have one more point than a otherwise completely untrained lvl 100 Aggron with 0 EVs in Attack. You gain EVs as you defeat pokemon, defeating a Geodude for instance would grant you 1 Defence EV, whilst defeating a Gengar would give you three Special Attack EVs. The cap lies on 510 EVs, which implies that your pokemon will no longer have these values increased. You can still decrease the EVs by using spesific berries, and retrain them if you'd like.

IV, or Individual Values, are hidden values that range from 0 to 31 that tells you how good a pokemon's stats are. They are permanent, and cannot be changed. You may notice how pokemon have different stats, even if they are the same species? Well, that's the IV shining through. For example, if you have two Aggrons at lvl 100 with the same nature, and none have been pitted against other pokemon at all, but one Aggron had an Attack IV of 0, whilst the other had an Attack IV of 31, then the latter would have 31 more points in Attack than the former.

Hopefully this quick yet covering intro wasn't too complicated, because it really isn't that difficult to understand :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2010

EV, or Effort Values, are hidden values that range from 0 to 255 that increase the stats of a pokemon. 4 EVs = 1 point in the skill at lvl 100, equaling that a Aggron with 4 EVs in Attack would have one more point than a otherwise completely untrained lvl 100 Aggron with 0 EVs in Attack. You gain EVs as you defeat pokemon, defeating a Geodude for instance would grant you 1 Defence EV, whilst defeating a Gengar would give you three Special Attack EVs. The cap lies on 510 EVs, which implies that your pokemon will no longer have these values increased. You can still decrease the EVs by using spesific berries, and retrain them if you'd like.

IV, or Individual Values, are hidden values that range from 0 to 31 that tells you how good a pokemon's stats are. They are permanent, and cannot be changed. You may notice how pokemon have different stats, even if they are the same species? Well, that's the IV shining through. For example, if you have two Aggrons at lvl 100 with the same nature, and none have been pitted against other pokemon at all, but one Aggron had an Attack IV of 0, whilst the other had an Attack IV of 31, then the latter would have 31 more points in Attack than the former.

Hopefully this quick yet covering intro wasn't too complicated, because it really isn't that difficult to understand :)
    Thanks for the help!

Do you know anyone that could possibly tutor me on how to train these things?

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    For IVs, I've honestly NO idea. But effort values are really easy. Check this sweet page out, it lists which pokemon gives which EVs upon defeat. Actually, just read the page about EVs on Bulbapedia that I linked in my previous post, that should tell you everything about it, including training and speed-training it. ;)

Back