• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can the anime redeem itself in 5th gen?

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    So let me get this right, you want Ash who has been here forever be on equal grounds as the newbie kid who just arrived? Really? I say make Ash more powerful. He's been here forever, what kind of person wants him to go back to being a less powerful kind of guy? Than fans would complain about how weak he's become, come on. D/P has already done this, do expect Ash to be like this every generation? I've been fine with D/P I've liked all the twists and turns they've taken. Now if they really do have Ash travel with teens next Generation, than I'd understand cuz the guy would have been traveling around longer than Ash even. However, newbie kid? No, just no. Now I would like it if Dawn stayed but that's unlikely, better way to improve the series is have the new girl do some thing different, I'm tired of each new girl doing contests, I say switch it up. Than we can have the guys do contests, so we don't have to get rid of them. I mean there are guys that do them, Kenny and Drew and Harley and Nando. Why can't a male main character do them?

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    1. MORE GARY!
    2. Pikachu FINALLY evolves, mainstay my ass.....
    3. MORE MATURE, Im tired of this constant appeal 2 the new yunger generation UGH, we need blood, cussin, skin, darker bad ass characters, etc

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    Personally, I say yes. But a few things have to happen first. While it'd be ideal if they got rid of Ash all together, it's obvious that won't happen, so here's a list of the five things, imo, that the anime should do to become watchable once again.

Let's get rid of Brock. His character is not very funny. Maybe if he could be a bit more perverted, the character would work, but because it's more of a kid's show, that can't happen. In my eyes, brock was supposed to be the cliche "pervert" character, but they then decided to aim the anime towards a younger audience, and brock became more of a hopeless romantic. Also, breeder isn't a significant enough class to be a full blown character.

The new character classes should be contest star, and either two trainers or a trainer (Ash) and a pokeathlete. And the girl character should not be the contest star. In DP, Dawn pretty much sucks at battling and does well at contest. It's almost as if they're conveying the message that girls can't be strong or tough, but it's fine if they get all dressed up and put on a show. The males who do contests are often effeminate as well.

Ash can't be as cool as he has been in the past. It seems like the past couple gens Ash steps into the new region and automatically is better than those around him. It's really annoying, especially when it comes to the female character. Female character fails at life, Ash helps, she gets better. I understand Ash has experience, and the female character is usually a new trainer, but the message "A woman is nothing without man" is still conveyed, or at least to me it is. When Ash arrives on the scene, let the female character already have her poke, and let her battle with Ash and beat him. It'd be nice if he could be shown some humility for once.

More spectacle! The battles have gotten sooooooo boring. It's command, attack, command, attack, etc. etc. over. I understand that's how the game works, but it doesn't captivate your attention in a show. It's okay to have commands, but let the pokes move freely a bit! Also, the battles need to be bigger! And I don't mean explosions, there's too many of those. I mean, let the pokes jump high, hit eachother into the ground, and create a crater from the impact! Make them seem at least dangerous. Because right now, the characters say wild pokemon are dengerous, when really, all it'll do is bite you or peck at your head. That's what normal animals do. If you've seen Soul Eater, that's kind of what I'm talking about, Not the blood, just the awesome acrobatic style of fighting.

#1!
    Make it more story driven! Right now, every episode is just Ash and co. helping some random stranger out. Focus more on action and less on doing good deeds for people you don't even know. And frankly, it's quite annoying having to meet two new characters every. single. episode. This means less team rocket too, they're entertaining on occasion. But now, every plan of theirs is the same, and they appear every episode. More tense, climactic, story driven episodes will help this show a lot. Multi episode quests, you know what I mean.

Now, what do you think the anime should do to become entertaining again?
    Hey guys! Let's turn pokemon into Dragon Ball Z!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    3. MORE MATURE, Im tired of this constant appeal 2 the new yunger generation UGH, we need blood, cussin, skin, darker bad ass characters, etc
    I doubt the use of foul language, bloodshed, and other various relations would redeem the anime. Nor would I think it would actually ever happen, unless they created a spin-off of the anime soley for adult viewers.

I do agree though that the anime should grow to an extent where it can interest its remaining older viewers. I'd think this would increase the popularity of the show and help build it as far as fan base goes. A change in pattern would also help. Make the show less predictable and keep viewers at the edge of their seats wanting to keep watching. A deeper plot and more intell on things would be best. Keep the show to its roots, but mix things up in a way where it doesn't get old too quickly.

With this, I think the anime would go right back on track, and move forward from there.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    1. MORE GARY!
    2. Pikachu FINALLY evolves, mainstay my ass.....

Actually, I agree AND disagree.

1.) Yes, but they already screwed Gary up. So I think they should bring in Silver for a change. He should have had his debut LONG ago but for some reason they did Johto weird and he never appeared. Or maybe even Masky!
    2.) Pikachu doesn't need to evolve. He needs to DIE.
    3.) I don't believe it has to be THAT wild. Now it would be awesome if it was, I'll say that, but I want it to be more like... Well, the manga portrays it. And now, I'm not a huge fan of the manga, I hate what they did to Silver, but I love it for it's violence and threats and stuff. I want to see Arbok get slashed in half, Pokemon bodies rot away, I even liked how the Masked Man actually threatened to end the lives of two children. THAT is what I want to see in Pokemon. More seriousness. Definitely darker. More evil.

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    Actually, I agree AND disagree.

1.) Yes, but they already screwed Gary up. So I think they should bring in Silver for a change. He should have had his debut LONG ago but for some reason they did Johto weird and he never appeared. Or maybe even Masky!
    2.) Pikachu doesn't need to evolve. He needs to DIE.
    3.) I don't believe it has to be THAT wild. Now it would be awesome if it was, I'll say that, but I want it to be more like... Well, the manga portrays it. And now, I'm not a huge fan of the manga, I hate what they did to Silver, but I love it for it's violence and threats and stuff. I want to see Arbok get slashed in half, Pokemon bodies rot away, I even liked how the Masked Man actually threatened to end the lives of two children. THAT is what I want to see in Pokemon. More seriousness. Definitely darker. More evil.

1. U right, sumhow he got shorter.....and they royally screwed his voice up. But he jus always been my favorite character, awesome Pkmn, USED 2 have a cool swag, etc. I jus dont wanna see em written out totally.......

2. LOL I feel u, but I remember it being theorized that the reason Pikachu is so "special" is that he wuz already LV 70 when Ash got em, so IF he did finally evolve into the awesome Riachu, he very well cud b the strongest 1 of his species ever, and that wud make Ash less sissy by affiliation.

3. Agreed, nothin ever dies, and that's jus retarded lol I want more bad ass realism.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    1. U right, sumhow he got shorter.....and they royally screwed his voice up. But he jus always been my favorite character, awesome Pkmn, USED 2 have a cool swag, etc. I jus dont wanna see em written out totally.......

2. LOL I feel u, but I remember it being theorized that the reason Pikachu is so "special" is that he wuz already LV 70 when Ash got em, so IF he did finally evolve into the awesome Riachu, he very well cud b the strongest 1 of his species ever, and that wud make Ash less sissy by affiliation.

3. Agreed, nothin ever dies, and that's jus retarded lol I want more bad ass realism.

Yeah, when I saw what they did to Gary I was actually quite shocked. I mean, as much as I love Saturn, Gary could have wiped the FLOOR with his butt. But Gary for some reason decided to stop training and do other things. I was a bit shocked and angry about this. It seems like everyone from the original series decided to grow up and do more mature things and Ash is the only one still going.

I think Ash needs to let that thing go. I'm tired of Pikachu being, like, a god mod. Like, in the first movie, Pikachu uses a simple thundershock I believe, takes out a friggin' Golem. I mean, please.

I know how that is. I like things darker too. I normally like things really dark, but Pokemon WAS originally made for children, so I doubt they are ever going to change that... But I think that's what the manga is for, really. To make things a bit easier on us. lol.

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years

Yeah, when I saw what they did to Gary I was actually quite shocked. I mean, as much as I love Saturn, Gary could have wiped the FLOOR with his butt. But Gary for some reason decided to stop training and do other things. I was a bit shocked and angry about this. It seems like everyone from the original series decided to grow up and do more mature things and Ash is the only one still going.

I think Ash needs to let that thing go. I'm tired of Pikachu being, like, a god mod. Like, in the first movie, Pikachu uses a simple thundershock I believe, takes out a friggin' Golem. I mean, please.

I know how that is. I like things darker too. I normally like things really dark, but Pokemon WAS originally made for children, so I doubt they are ever going to change that... But I think that's what the manga is for, really. To make things a bit easier on us. lol.

1. Yea, I mean even Gary look like he aged A LIL, but not Ash lol nope! I wanna see this fountain of youth he found 2 keep em perpetually pre-pubescent.

2. LOL u kno Ash wud sooner fall on a sword than let his groom 2 be go lol, naw Pikachu and his invincible attacks are likely here 2 stay, he even went toe 2 toe wit Arceus lol no limits!

3. I agree.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Have you people who are complaining about the lack of plot even been watching Sinnoh?

Or complaining about fillers while worshiping Kanto and Johto? What are you smoking?

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
    ya now i kinda liked the Sinnoh episodes, because they were more funnier. but you can't beat the first season in humour.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I would like to see an end to this "dodge it" nonsense they keep saying in battles...

as if the pokemon wouldn't dodge on it's own anyway....

Also Team Rocket...where do you begin?

Maybe they should change the main charcter totally and let Ash go.

A timeskip might be nice.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I would like to see an end to this "dodge it" nonsense they keep saying in battles...

The trainer as a view of the entire battle field. Pokemon only have the view of wherever their facing. Unless you're Claydol, which has like, 4 eyes (technically 8, but it's sprite depicts only 4 being open).

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    Here are my things..

1. Scale down team rocket. It makes no sense that every episode that they are in they try to steal Ash's pokemon. You think the first 789 times, they would get the hint..

2. Stop having brock go gaga over every single girl he meets. Yes, it's been that way for 10 years, but other than the occasionial " She's hot," and only that, it's time for a break.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Ash is still ten.

Yeah . . . .

Force your opinion on people indeed

Apparently (According to Bulbapedia) Ash's age has never once been mentioned since he left Pallet Town, even though it's absolutely ridiculous to assume he's still 10. I'm going to say he's no less than 14, even if they made him the most incredibly fast normal child to ever grace the face of the earth.

Years
    Now, I haven't watched much of the anime lately, but atleast make Ash use some of his old pokémon. Instead of leaving his pokemon to rot in the pc box at Oak's place every new season, let him keep some of the stronger ones, like Charizard.

And calm down that damned yellow mouse if his. It managed to hurt freakin Arceus with a single thunderbolt!

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    Now, I haven't watched much of the anime lately, but atleast make Ash use some of his old pokémon. Instead of leaving his pokemon to rot in the pc box at Oak's place every new season, let him keep some of the stronger ones, like Charizard.

And calm down that damned yellow mouse if his. It managed to hurt freakin Arceus with a single thunderbolt!

CO-SIGN! THANX U! I mean the game really needs 2 b havin more bearing on the show. I'm tired of seeing Ash's PikaGod pwn Golems wit its Thunderbolt.......yea.....but if it did FINALLY EVOLVE, it wud b mad strong.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    CO-SIGN! THANX U! I mean the game really needs 2 b havin more bearing on the show. I'm tired of seeing Ash's PikaGod pwn Golems wit its Thunderbolt.......yea.....but if it did FINALLY EVOLVE, it wud b mad strong.

When was the last time an electric attack hurt a ground type? The only times I remember this happening is in Kanto, which seems to get glossed over by the KANTO IS THE BEST crowd.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I can't remember the exact Episode name but I've seen it a couple times, even more so in the movies.

I remember it happening in the first movie. The only ground type I remember being attacked by Pikachu in recent movies was when Ash battled Torterra in Movie 10's opening. In his defense, Torterra doesn't really look like a ground type. And Torterra just shook off the Thunderbolt attack.

There's a lot to criticize the anime, especially with game mechanics, but they've been fairly consistant lately with ground's immunity to electric.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    Honestly, Bring Team Rocket bacccck. They are hilarious. Luv em.

Have you watched any of the new ones? They're still here. They just have a much worse "humor".
    I seriously love the old James' voice.. much better. D:

I really think that Brock can stay. But he needs to do more.. The girls things is classic, but getting a perverted stuff into it will just make the mommies and daddies pull their kids away from pokemon. Adding teen values into it probably wil help US, not the kids who watch it more. Pokemon is turned towards a kid's audience, and it's been that way. That's just like how Conker the Squirrel literally went from a cute kid's game to an M for mature game. It doesn't make any sense. What if a kid who played the kiddy Conker wanted the new one? 0_0'
    It's obvious that Pokemon isn't going to change into a normal Anime for teens. No. It's for kids, and that'd be a huge mistake.
    The problem with cartoons n general today is the fact that newer generations find funny... less funny than our generation.(well, from our generation)
    Today I was looking at Bakugan.. XD I really hate the show because I've seen them throw the Bakugan.. er, balls or whatever the monsters come from. It's like Pokemon but with flowy hair. XD I thought it was a blow-off. I think it is.
    Nonetheless I was watching it and I saw some interesting stuff even though I have no idea what they do besides fight XD The reason - action.. and also, some suspense, I guess. XD It looked nice, but not something I'd be interested in.
    Apparently, Bakugan has become the new old-school Pokemon for the newer generations. It's got tons of merchandise, just like Pokemon.. not to mention this young artist right here is satisfied by it a little. (however, i hate the characters)

The point is.. Pokemon need more action, more creativity in the show.. more of the comedy they used to have! It's good enough for Johto and Indigo Islands.. I think we'd all be satisfied like that. :/ (I wonder if the kiddies would mind..) What always happens is that they meet a girl(most of the time, just for Brock) who needs help with something and they stop to help the person.. and then they continue on their journey.
    However, this always happened in the the old ones. On Boomerang they do Pokemon Johto(AWYEAH) at 6:30, Mon-Fri. They do it ALL the time. But there is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more humor. MUCH more. And it's actually FUNNY. I was LAUGHING. At POKEMON. Which. is. just. downright. WEIRD. These days.
    It sucks, because most of the teens that seem to be here (1990's generation) have lived through the good kids' shows.. Now, there are only a couple that people in my school would say are any good (Avatar, Adventure Time, Chowder, Flapjack[apparently]). And I am in HIGH school. Our generation knows the good times.

..I typed way too much D:

Back