• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cardcaptor Sakura vs. Cardcaptors

Same or Not?

• Whutever. I don't like either.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I once read somewhere in Ryoutarou's post that Cardcaptor Sakura and Cardcaptors aren't the same anime due to Cardcaptor being edited, remixed and so on.

But, how may people do think that Cardcaptor Sakura and Cardcaptors are the same?

I think you can find the difference in wikipedia.

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    I have no idea of the difference.
    However, the US version was probably highly edited, and the voices sound really...odd.
    Whoa, read the Wikipedia.
    Sounds like they srsrly overedited the show.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Yeah. Nelvana took an ax to that show and just went crazy. :O I think the fact that it was originally a shoujo retooled to be aimed at boys is more than enough of a hint to tell you something was seriously changed.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    You know something's definitely wrong when you start your show at their episode 13 or so, i forget the exact ep.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Among the changes:
    *Cardcaptors tried to make both Sakura and Li the main characters
    *Episodes cut up, rearranged
    *Most hints at romance taken out
    *Names changed (Sakura Kinomoto => Sakura Avalon; Syaoran Li => Li Showron; Tomoyo Daidoji => Madison Taylor (WTF?); Tomoeda => Reedington (WTFx2))

Needless to say, Nelvana seriously botched up the show. Though I remember when it used to air on Kids WB alongside Pokemon and a bunch of the promos made Kero-chan/Pikachu comparisons XD

Chelzbell

magical girl undercover
    Years
    • Age 36
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 13, 2010
    The original is so much better! I remember watching Cardcaptors on Cartoon Network and I thought it was okay. Once I searched online futher into it, I found out about the original series. I fell in love with it, I had to get my hands on the anime so I brought it online (that was so long ago but I still watch episodes from time to time despite the subtitles aren't the greatest)

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    I love the original but the dub makes me want to cry. Its a disgrace to mess up such a great anime.

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    Thank god I never even look into dubs.
    But I didn't like the guy who subbed my CCS torrent...Did the names western, and no suffixes, etc. T_T

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    There are many differences, the worst being the many script changes. CC got the bad dub treatment, since it wasn't grabbed by a dubbing company that actually tried to keep it 'Japanese'.. this was probably because it was originally dubbed to air on KidsWB, back in the day. ==;

They are different, and noticably so, but watching CC still gives you the basic idea of things.
    & I like them both.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    CCS was the first subbed anime I ever watched. When I was younger (age... jeez, eleven or something?) I started to hate dubs because of Cardcaptors and it took me years to get over that. :P At least I had a damn good reason for hating them back then unlike some of the crazy elitists these days. But yeah, the dub was just awful for CCS.

Honestly, the show was probably okay as its own show. I know before I learnt about the changes, and watched the original for myself, I did enjoy watching it. It's just that when you compare it to the original, it seems awful. XD

devilicious

dream
    Years
    CCS was the first subbed anime I ever watched.

Same here! They started to show it here in Brazil, but I couldn't wait for the next episode so I started to buy the subbed VHSs from a nearby anime store. I would just find out about downloading sometime later.

But hah, they showed the original, uneditted version here.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    CCS was the first subbed anime I ever watched. When I was younger (age... jeez, eleven or something?) I started to hate dubs because of Cardcaptors and it took me years to get over that. :P

Thirded, i ended up looking through the site, and then the fansites, discovered how horribly dubbed CC was and got into CCS. I remember this was this one site taking the complete details on how each thing was changed, up to the time.
    And of course, taking out any and all S+S service in the anime, ep 1 -> ep?? for the near kiss XD Glad Nelvana didn't end up doing the CCS movie 2, just imagine if the dubbing in that one movie was spread to the rest of the series XD

Cherrim

Years
    Same here! They started to show it here in Brazil, but I couldn't wait for the next episode so I started to buy the subbed VHSs from a nearby anime store. I would just find out about downloading sometime later.

But hah, they showed the original, uneditted version here.
    Well, it was virtually unedited in Canada too! But... only the French version shown in Québec was unedited. I never did get a chance to see that dub. XD;
    Thirded, i ended up looking through the site, and then the fansites, discovered how horribly dubbed CC was and got into CCS. I remember this was this one site taking the complete details on how each thing was changed, up to the time.
    I remember that site! I loved it. XD I was sad when they stopped updating it. There were a lot of imitation sites for other bad dubs, but that CCS site was the best out of all of them. Can't remember the name though. D:

Years
    ZOMG!!! CCS Discussion...

I remember this, I was a fan back in '06 (LATE AGAIN) after my sisters borrowed a CC VHS in our library...I actually liked it...then I researched more on the Internet and watched or read (There was this particular site which had the ENTIRE script with scene descriptions in TEXT FORM forgot which one it was though.) Yeah CCS was heavily edited for the US market that CC (US version anyways because KidsWB were the ones who forced the massive edits it turns out...NOT Nelvana) can be considered an entirely different anime...But the International English version (Canadian, Australian,etc.) actually got BETTER dubs than the US, the same company dubbed it yet the quality is somewhat on par with the Pokemon dubs. I mean all of the 70 episodes were dubbed for the International English market but the US got the HEAVILY EDITED 40 episodes with two episodes crammed into one (through "Flashbacks"). This great series is one of the extreme examples when companies try to impose ideals into anime. I mean WTH trying to force a heavily shojo anime to turn into shonen?....MADNESS D:

Cherrim

Years
    I remember this, I was a fan back in '06 (LATE AGAIN) after my sisters borrowed a CC VHS in our library...I actually liked it...then I researched more on the Internet and watched or read (There was this particular site which had the ENTIRE script with scene descriptions in TEXT FORM forgot which one it was though.) Yeah CCS was heavily edited for the US market that CC (US version anyways because KidsWB were the ones who forced the massive edits it turns out...NOT Nelvana) can be considered an entirely different anime...But the International English version (Canadian, Australian,etc.) actually got BETTER dubs than the US, the same company dubbed it yet the quality is somewhat on par with the Pokemon dubs. I mean all of the 70 episodes were dubbed for the International English market but the US got the HEAVILY EDITED 40 episodes with two episodes crammed into one (through "Flashbacks"). This great series is one of the extreme examples when companies try to impose ideals into anime. I mean WTH trying to force a heavily shojo anime to turn into shonen?....MADNESS D:
    No, Canada got the same crappy dub as the US. :[ Only the French speaking province got a good dub and... it was in French. (And it wasn't even broadcast outside of Québec.) So only the other places got better dubs, though I don't remember hearing that they'd gotten a fresh dub over Nelvana's.

Back