• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Change rom functionnalities

Years
    Hello guys :D

I got some bases of ASM of GBA and I would like to change some functionnalities in pokemon Fire Red. But I' m still struggling about some things :
    • I know how to insert bin but what if I want to read and/or change existing function?
    • There are threads that give many addresses but how to find thoses addresses myself? I saw that VBA dissassemble things but I'm still noob.
      For example how to find where is the routine which calculate and set the HP of the pokemon after one hit.

I will take all advices, if a thread already explains it or if there's something I missed.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Use HexManiacAdvance, a hex editor with a lot of added functionalities for gen 3 pokemon roms. It can read and edit anything in the rom, including any asm code (with decompiling and compiling, so not just raw bytes).

You don't need to find routines yourself anymore now that the decomps have gotten so far. Just build a vanilla decomp and it will give you a syms.dump file, with all the addresses of known routines and data. Some stuff is still unlabeled, but the majority is right there

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello guys :D

I got some bases of ASM of GBA and I would like to change some functionnalities in pokemon Fire Red. But I' m still struggling about some things :
    • I know how to insert bin but what if I want to read and/or change existing function?
    • There are threads that give many addresses but how to find thoses addresses myself? I saw that VBA dissassemble things but I'm still noob.
      For example how to find where is the routine which calculate and set the HP of the pokemon after one hit.

I will take all advices, if a thread already explains it or if there's something I missed.

I'd recommend just dropping asm completely and making your changes by editing the decomp directly. It's simpler and will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Back