• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Eventing Question] Changing Buildings / Event Tiles?

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    I thought I'd ask this here, in hopes maybe somebody more knowledgeable might be able to chime in with a better way than I'm doing this. Here's a summary of my plan and the method I'm using, so folks can tell me better ways if they know or think of any. ♥

Concept
    I want to create a system where a location changes in a fairly radical fashion based on events in the area. In this case, I want to build an entirely new building after certain criteria are met.
    The way I've thought to be able to do this is with event tiles and conditionals, but events by and large appear to be single-tile affairs, which means setting up something as large as a building seems to be time consuming (essentially copy-pasting the event over and over and changing each tile sprite individually). However, it does appear to achieve the desired results and could be doctored up to be more attractive using things like screen fades, or even setting up a multi-stage system if you wished to expand the change over multiple steps (such as showing foundation, ongoing construction, finished structure).

Method
    Created an event, gave it a sprite from the tileset.
    Made it conditional to a switch being turned on.
    Copy/pasted it across the grid, editing the individual sprites for each tile of the tileset used.
    Added a test event (in the form of a pokeball) that enables or disables the switch used by copy/pasted events.

It ends up looking like this in the editor.
    Changing Buildings / Event Tiles?

Here's a video of it in action.
    https://i.gyazo.com/708587ffdc85a1829b201c045b0662c7.mp4

Are there better ways of doing this, or should I just continue with this one?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2024
    The way you have it is probably the most common way of doing it, with sound effects, screen fades, wait times and other beautifying effects.

Theoretically, you could also make each building a "character" by copying the image of the full building to the character graphics. I am not sure if single characters can be that big though. Thats the only other way off the top of my head that i can think of.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    Thank you. I guess it was a better plan than I expected. That's not bad to hear at all! ♥

Back