• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PBS Question] Changing the order of IDs?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2021
    Okay, i searched everywhere for an answer to this but couldnt find it, maybe it means its a stupid question but better safe than sorry 😛, here goes:

I did read on the wiki that you cant (Well, can but shouldnt, cause minor bugs) skip ID numbers and that their order (Like 3 being after 40) does not matter, dont worry, that is not what i am asking here. My question is more like if you can completely switch out the original ID numbers you first input. For context, i am making a fakemon game and it would be far easier for me if i didnt have to create pokemon in the order they would appear on the dex, basically, i got no idea of what that order will be yet, so i am wondering if i could create them in any random order and then switch the ID numbers around to match the dex once i have a better idea of how that will work out. As an example:

I have Pokemon A, B, C, D and E, which have numbers 1 to 5 in their IDs respectively when i first create them. Then, i want to switch out their ID order, B would be ID 1, C would be ID 2... And A would be ID 5. I dont pretend to leave any empty spots, just to completely switch around the species's ID order. My question is: Would that mess up anything? I mean other than the graphics (Like sprites and footprints), i know it would mess up that, but would it mess up anything else?

Thanks in advance for anyone who responds!

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay, i searched everywhere for an answer to this but couldnt find it, maybe it means its a stupid question but better safe than sorry 😛, here goes:

I did read on the wiki that you cant (Well, can but shouldnt, cause minor bugs) skip ID numbers and that their order (Like 3 being after 40) does not matter, dont worry, that is not what i am asking here. My question is more like if you can completely switch out the original ID numbers you first input. For context, i am making a fakemon game and it would be far easier for me if i didnt have to create pokemon in the order they would appear on the dex, basically, i got no idea of what that order will be yet, so i am wondering if i could create them in any random order and then switch the ID numbers around to match the dex once i have a better idea of how that will work out. As an example:

I have Pokemon A, B, C, D and E, which have numbers 1 to 5 in their IDs respectively when i first create them. Then, i want to switch out their ID order, B would be ID 1, C would be ID 2... And A would be ID 5. I dont pretend to leave any empty spots, just to completely switch around the species's ID order. My question is: Would that mess up anything? I mean other than the graphics (Like sprites and footprints), i know it would mess up that, but would it mess up anything else?

Thanks in advance for anyone who responds!

In fact, it will mess up everything only if you keep working on the same savegame, because the savegame stores the IDs. If you change the order of IDs, and load a savegame from before the change, then the Pokémons will be messed up.
    EDIT: The Pokémon sprites (battlers, icons + overworld) + their cries will be messed up too, you'll have to rename all the sprites/sound files everytime you change something.

Note: this holds for any ID in any PBS file; whenever you change them, you should make a new save file.

PS: I notice it's your first post on the forum, thank you for giving all the details + proving that you had searched an answer before posting :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2021
    Also, after making this post, i learned you can also name pokemon sprites after their species name instead of ID, so that will help a lot

Just make a new savegame after i switch out everything's order? Got it! Thanks again!

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Also, after making this post, i learned you can also name pokemon sprites after their species name instead of ID, so that will help a lot

Just make a new savegame after i switch out everything's order? Got it! Thanks again!

OOOOOOOH you're right, I completely forgot the sprites! I'm editing my first post, but indeed, this will be messed up.

Can you? I didn't know that O_O

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    You'd be best leaving the ID numbers and using the regional number option to define where they appear in the dex

Years
    • Seen today
    After all, Pokémon can appear in any order in a regional Pokédex, though it is recommended to begin with the local starters and their evolutions and end it with the local legendary Pokémon and/or mythical. Everything else is up to you.

Back