• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Changing the shiny chance in FireRed

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2017
    Hi. I'm working on a hack that has new shiny palettes as a main draw for it, but I can't figure out how to change the shiny rate so they don't go unnoticed. I want to change it to 1/2048, is there a way to do this?

Years
  • shinies are determined by IV's. to increase the chance of a shiny you would have to add extra IV combinations to result in a shiny. i also want to play with the shiny determining values but sadly i have no idea where to find them in the rom.

Years
  • I'm not sure myself where the routine that calculates shininess is, but I want to correct the above poster. Whether or not a Pokemon is shiny is tied to IVs in Gen 2 only. Here's some info on how it works in Gen 3 (assuming you're hacking gen 3). If you can find this routine, you'd probably just want to change the comparison value (8) to a higher number. If you set it to 16, for example, the shiny chance would be 16/65536 or 1/4096 -- double the normal rate.

Back