• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Charizard and Heat Wave

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    My charizard knows heat wave, but I can't remember exactly how he learned it. I think he learns it around when he evolves into charizard, give or take 5 levels. But its not that great, even with 100 power it does less damage than flamethrower. But its good for double battles because it hits both enemy pokemon.

Btw, what game are you playing? Because it only learns it in FR and LG.

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    There is a move tutor on two island who will teach it to you for either two tiny mushrooms or a big mushroom.

Amp

This is crazy.
    Years
  • My charizard knows heat wave, but I can't remember exactly how he learned it. I think he learns it around when he evolves into charizard, give or take 5 levels. But its not that great, even with 100 power it does less damage than flamethrower. But its good for double battles because it hits both enemy pokemon.

Btw, what game are you playing? Because it only learns it in FR and LG.
    How is heat wave less powerful than Flamethrower? Flamethrower's base power is 95, Heat Wave's is 100. Heat Wave is just slightly less accurate.

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
  • How is heat wave less powerful than Flamethrower? Flamethrower's base power is 95, Heat Wave's is 100. Heat Wave is just slightly less accurate.
    Yeah, you said it dude.
    It may be slightly less accurate but the ability to strike both of your opponent pokemons is the fun part... To me heat wave is like the best fire type move in the advance gens games.

Years
  • How is heat wave less powerful than Flamethrower? Flamethrower's base power is 95, Heat Wave's is 100. Heat Wave is just slightly less accurate.

I once heard, not sure if im right, that moves learned in the movesets (inlcuding breeding moves) are more powerful than if you teach the same Pokémon the move via TM, HM or Move Tutor? Maybe.

So if this is the case, and Charizard has Flamethrower - base power 95 (learned via level up), and also has Heat Wave - base power 100 (learned via a move tutor or tinymushroom), it is likely that FT will become more powerful than HW?

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Heat wave is weaker than flamethrower because I could hit the miltank of the 2 trainers on seven island with heatwave, and it would do about 1/5 of its hp. Then do flamethrower, and it would take out 3/5 of it's hp.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Heat wave is weaker than flamethrower because I could hit the miltank of the 2 trainers on seven island with heatwave, and it would do about 1/5 of its hp. Then do flamethrower, and it would take out 3/5 of it's hp.
    This information is incredibly inaccurate. 5 Base Power difference isn't going to make that much of a difference in damage inflicted. Either way, Heat Wave would do slightly more damage than Flamethrower due to the fact that the Base Power is higher than Flamethrower. There is also a thing called IVs and natures. You don't know what the opponent's IVs or nature is, and that the IVs and nature may be completely different from the other Miltank. All this adds up to the fact that your calculations are flawed. Use a damage calculation website such as Metalkid's to calculate damage and make sure that the two opponents have the same exact natures, IVs, and EVs. In conclusion, I will state that Heat Wave does more damage than Flamethrower, but a very small difference in the damage inflicted. I, for one, would rather use Flamethrower than Heat Wave.

After a look on Serebii, I have seen that Charizard does not learn Heat Wave at level 59 in any game, nor is any other move learned at that particular level. You will have to find a Move Tutor with Heart Scale / Tiny Mushrooms / Big mushroom.

Last edited:

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • huh... I remember playing my Pearl game with this one kid on the bus and we where in the E4 and My Charizard learned Heat Wave...

so I know he can in D/P/P... dunno about the other games

Back