• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chesu's Sprites

Ayselipera

I like your work especially the Pizza boy
    and Bluryu. I think you need to work on
    the designs of your pokemon a little bit
    better though only because they seem
    unproportional.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    ...Two people were modded on this thread in the last hour for not posting constructive criticism... do you really want to press your luck?

To answer your question, though, Dissension began life as a FireRed hack... As you can see in the image below, the playable characters, rival, and Professor Oak all had larger sprites used during the game's introduction sequence. That's what the large character sprites you see are.

Chesu's Sprites

And a simple answer to a simple question. What were the big sprites. I now see that those were for the introduction. The backward facing Gary is quite well done. (Those weren't ripped right?) However, the shading on the grass makes it look entirely flat. Try to 'puff' it up.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I think you need to work on the designs of your pokemon a little bit better though only because they seem unproportional.

...I.. you.. have you read any of the other posts in this thread?

The backward facing Gary is quite well done. (Those weren't ripped right?) However, the shading on the grass makes it look entirely flat. Try to 'puff' it up.

That was an example of the sprites used in FireRed/LeafGreen... Yes, those are actual sprites from the games. I was using it to show you an example of the larger sprites. See the big sprite of Blue/Gary, compared to the battle sprites of him? The ones I made serve that same purpose.

Regarding whether they were ripped or not... I mean, seriously? Seriously? It says "Blue (a.k.a. Gary) from PKMN Fire Red ripped by LF." right on the image!

Ayselipera

...I.. you.. have you read any of the other posts in this thread?

Not at all, sorry If I said something that someone else already said or whatever it is.
    I was just trying to make some constructive criticisim.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I need some advice! As I started shading this little grub, I realized... it looks a bit like Castform!

Chesu's Sprites

Does it look too similar? It might look good with a cream-colored body and a brown head... Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    It does look a bit like the weather Pokemon. I think it would look cool if it was all cream colored...but them would it look like Weedle...?

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Nice sprites =]
    Looks great maybe a finished sprite would be nice.
    It would be nice to see you use constructive criticism in your posts. Rather than just saying that you like them, state why you like them as well so that Chesu can gain something.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I'm thinking about remaking some of my old composite Pokemon sprites from scratch... I'm not entirely confident about it, so I figured I'd get an opinion or two. The originals are on the left, the unfinished new ones are on the right. I've included the parts made for the new sprites, for reference.

Chesu's Sprites

Is this worth pursuing? Should the gold rings on Tsurigu be actual rings, or just markings? Should I cut off the first two purple spikes off of Chiki to keep to the original design? What should change, and what should stay the same? If you're reading this, please help me out!

(Bonus points for identifying all of the parts that went into the originals; one has parts from eight Pokemon, the other four.)

Years
    I'm thinking about remaking some of my old composite Pokemon sprites from scratch... I'm not entirely confident about it, so I figured I'd get an opinion or two. The originals are on the left, the unfinished new ones are on the right. I've included the parts made for the new sprites, for reference.

Chesu's Sprites

Is this worth pursuing? Should the gold rings on Tsurigu be actual rings, or just markings? Should I cut off the first two purple spikes off of Chiki to keep to the original design? What should change, and what should stay the same? If you're reading this, please help me out!

(Bonus points for identifying all of the parts that went into the originals; one has parts from eight Pokemon, the other four.)
    The rings do look a bit forced. The type of fin on the tail is already pretty complex and the rings kind of distract from it and make it look messy. I'm not sure if you were thinking about cutting the fit out. If you are the rings could probably stay and look fine. In any case a bit of color needs to be there. To answer your question, if you really like the design and want to be able to claim it as 100% yours then go ahead and resprite it. I'm confident that with your composite version as reference you could make a scratched one just as good or even better.

I like Chiki with three only three spikes. It's simple and for a small guy like him too much of anything gets ridiculous pretty easily. All of the smaller, usually first evolution Pokemon that come to mind have simpler designs and I think it suits them. I will say that I really like Chiki as he is: the pose, the big eye, the lack of arms, the angular spikes, even the obvious Cyndaquil head (I'm not even going to try to guess all the parts). The new design feels top heavy. I'm not sure I can say why.

Hope you come to a decision soon.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Tsurigu's tail actually ends in a fishing net... I do intend to keep it in the new sprite, it just hasn't been added yet. Chikihachuu is supposed to be top-heavy; the idea is that it wobbles and falls a lot. I made its head bigger and had it stand on one foot to stress that point.

edit: This is how it looks with the face shaped more like the original and only three spikes.

Chesu's Sprites

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Tsurigu's tail actually ends in a fishing net... I do intend to keep it in the new sprite, it just hasn't been added yet. Chikihachuu is supposed to be top-heavy; the idea is that it wobbles and falls a lot. I made its head bigger and had it stand on one foot to stress that point.

edit: This is how it looks with the face shaped more like the original and only three spikes.

Chesu's Sprites

I like your avatar btw
    It's good that you made it three spikes because now it looks a whole lot better. But for some odd reason it reminds me of Wooper because it doesn't have any arms and it's blue

:t354:TG

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Wooper is one of my favorite Pokemon, but that really has nothing to do with Chikihachuu's design. I made it as an un-evolved form of the very first fake Pokemon sprite I ever made... I decided to leave it without arms because of Pokemon like Seedot, Poliwag, Oddish... and yes, Wooper. The more simple the base form is, the easier it is to show it gaining something in evolution.

The bearded carrot avatar is new, actually; I made it this weekend. My old avatar (below) is kind of messy, and I've been meaning to make one that I can use on all of the different sites I visit.

Chesu's Sprites

Back