• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Chimchar or Ponyta?

Years
  • Okays... so here's my dilemma. I really like to have a fire pokemon on my team. However, in D/P there are only two fire Pokemon, Chimchar and Ponyta. I did not choose Chimchar as my starter, and I caught a Ponyta. I'm wondering which Pokemon I ought to use... I'm a little partial to Ponyta, cause I've never used one before, but I'm not sure if in the long run it might be better to spend my time raising the Chimchar that I just got in a global trade...

Opinions?

Rat

Years
  • Leave it to me to reply in the one that gets deleted... xD Bah! Did you at least get the reply at all?

Rat

Years
  • Alright, well! I said you'd probably be better off with Chimchar for it's dual typing and stats. Ponyta/Rapidash isn't bad, though. If you go with that, you could use a Medicham or, heck, even Lucario, to make up for the lack of fighting type, if you want.

I spent quite some time thinking this over not too long ago, when I restarted my game. Eventually, though, I caved in and went with Chimchar. I do so miss my Blaziken evolution chain, though :( Double Kick was so much better than Mach Punch.

PokemonXP

Platinum Battler
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    If I were you I'd go with Ponyta/Rapidash. It could learn Sunny Day and then have it know SolarBeam to kick Water, Ground, and Rock Pokemon's butts. I have no objections to Chimchar since I have one and it's now a 54 Infernape, but there is just one thing that bothers me and that is Bronzong. In order to defeat one super effectively I only know of one way and that is with a Fire Type move, even though it won't do as much damage since Bronzong has fire proof. Since Bronzong is Steel/Psychic it can unleash Psychic moves upon your Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape so I'd beware of Bronzong for any Psychic pokemon for that matter.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
  • I rather get Ponyta... Chimchar and his evolution forms do not really learn many fire moves except like flare blitz nad fire wheel(something like that) and Ember. When Ponyta evolves he/she learnes many fire moves and other good moves. I would have not totally picked chimchar.

Dark Heaven

Brighter than dawning blue.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 17, 2007
    Chimchar, because everything Ponyta can do, Chimchar can too.(using TM, breed and such.)

Great type combination, make it very useful on competitive battling.

It can go either physical or special, unlike Ponyta which is kinda limited to physical.

It's one of the best fire type, too.

So take your pick, I wouldn't have 2 fire Pokemon in my team, I'd choose Chimchar over Ponyta anyday, wider movepool makes it worth it.

Back