• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coldplay or U2?

Coldplay or U2?

• Coldplay

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • U2

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • ...Thats a tough question...

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
  • I can't wait to hear this U2 hip-hop. :D Unlike some of you elitists, I don't discriminate against it until I've heard it XD. I'm a fan of some hip-hop (mostly local - Australian and NZ) that is definitely not gangsta-rap style, so I will be interested to see what U2 does with it~

Years
  • Why even bother hearing on -removed- up music as coldplay.

Mod edit: This post has been edited, as using the word "gay" in any sort of derogatory manner is not allowed on this forum. If you wish to express your opinions about something, please do so in a way that is not disrespectful of others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karasuma

It's beemo time!
    Years
  • Well U2 has been around way back since my folks were young. Coldplay has had excellent years with their Album "X & Y" the song "Speed of Sound" is a song I have to hear whenever I'm relaxing or reading a book. I'd go with Coldplay on this one and here are my reasons: Although U2 has been around, there are still a lot of songs that I haven't heard about them. Their latest album was great, it had good songs in it. But they are a group that only people who are in their 30s or 40s heard about them. They've been in two Live 8s and that is really something. Like I said, I stick with Coldplay.

Years
  • Wouldn't it be fair if you compare bands that came out at the same time and are both at almost equal height of success?

So shouldn't this be: "R.E.M. or U2?" (the infamous Automatic Baby couple) or "Coldplay or Snow Patrol?"

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
  • But Snow Patrol aren't nearly as well known as Coldplay are.

For me this is a hard question, as I am a fan of both bands. I would have to say Coldplay in general, although some U2 songs are amazing.

zonic the hedgehog

...::: D. GrAy-MaN :::...
    Years
  • U2 for me. Even though I also listen to Coldplay occasionally, I'd much rather have U2 on my MP3 player than a bunch of Coldplay. :F

Although their recent stuff is rather lacking. >_>

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2006
    Although I hate both bands with a passion i'd have to go with U2, Coldplay does little to distinguish themselves from other bands.

Years
  • Digital Mage said:
    I was thinking of that comparison a few days ago. Their styles of music are quite similar.(But not boring... At least not always boring).
    I'm not sure with the similiar part there, dude. If you listen to "War" by U2 and compare that with "Parachutes" by Coldplay, the gap is huge. I mean, totally huge. "War" is just a raw and powerful anthemic post-punk album filled with marching drums and propaganda snippets while "Parachutes" is a mellow, soft and safe album.

And if you're going for the height of their success, comparing "The Joshua Tree" by U2 with "A Rush of Blood to the Head" by Coldplay is basically another wide gap of difference. "The Joshua Tree" has that radiant aura of spirituality with every song they play; a distinct melody in each from the echoing chords of "Where the Streets Have No Name" to the bombastic bass lines of "Bullet the Blue Sky" and haunting melody of "With or Without You." "A Rush of Blood to the Head" has a very sleek tone to it and not as soft as The Joshua Tree and there isn't much spirituality prevelant within the album, but instead, it's more of a melodramatic piano driven album with aspiring rythms from "Clocks" and angst ridden songs like "The Scientist" and "Amsterdam".

And if you're going to even compare "Achtung Baby" by U2 and "X&Y" by Coldplay... "Achtung Baby" basically leaves the latter on the mud. If there is one U2 album that "X&Y" surpasses, it's probably either the experimental "Passengers" soundtrack or "October". Though I'm not sure about October since I haven't listened to the entirety of the album. And the fact that separates U2 and Coldplay is the theme of each album. Whether it be religion, teenage rebellion, Media overload, or just spirituality, U2 has everything covered. Don't get me wrong because I listen to Coldplay they're still pretty good. But as I'm reading the posts about people liking Coldplay and it's probably because most of them never listened to even the best U2 albums...

I think I've ranted enough...but I can't help when comparing albums... XD

Years
  • Synchromesh said:
    Although I hate both bands with a passion i'd have to go with U2, Coldplay does little to distinguish themselves from other bands.

Agree, i hate them both, but i have to choose U2, coldplay is just too...stupid

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2006
    Coldplay's songs are just too mediocre, slow, and boring. At least U2 can keep up the diversity in their songs, whilst keeping up a decent pace which suits my desired taste.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Akinari said:
    I'm not sure with the similiar part there, dude. If you listen to "War" by U2 and compare that with "Parachutes" by Coldplay, the gap is huge. I mean, totally huge. "War" is just a raw and powerful anthemic post-punk album filled with marching drums and propaganda snippets while "Parachutes" is a mellow, soft and safe album.

And if you're going for the height of their success, comparing "The Joshua Tree" by U2 with "A Rush of Blood to the Head" by Coldplay is basically another wide gap of difference. "The Joshua Tree" has that radiant aura of spirituality with every song they play; a distinct melody in each from the echoing chords of "Where the Streets Have No Name" to the bombastic bass lines of "Bullet the Blue Sky" and haunting melody of "With or Without You." "A Rush of Blood to the Head" has a very sleek tone to it and not as soft as The Joshua Tree and there isn't much spirituality prevelant within the album, but instead, it's more of a melodramatic piano driven album with aspiring rythms from "Clocks" and angst ridden songs like "The Scientist" and "Amsterdam".

And if you're going to even compare "Achtung Baby" by U2 and "X&Y" by Coldplay... "Achtung Baby" basically leaves the latter on the mud. If there is one U2 album that "X&Y" surpasses, it's probably either the experimental "Passengers" soundtrack or "October". Though I'm not sure about October since I haven't listened to the entirety of the album. And the fact that separates U2 and Coldplay is the theme of each album. Whether it be religion, teenage rebellion, Media overload, or just spirituality, U2 has everything covered. Don't get me wrong because I listen to Coldplay they're still pretty good. But as I'm reading the posts about people liking Coldplay and it's probably because most of them never listened to even the best U2 albums...

I think I've ranted enough...but I can't help when comparing albums... XD
    Niko, I think he was referring to my post noting that we might compare Coldplay to Keane.

Back