• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA Community Horror Stories

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2024
    Ive been a long time modder in a couple of communities and Id like to say hi and share some stories I have about a friend who tried joining one. If this stuff annoys you I guess ignore the thread and I won't loose sleep over it. I may have more like this if people like these reads. I purposely cut out all references to anything and everything as this isn't to fling mud at people.

The first story:
    About 4 years ago I met someone who is on the autism spectrum. He displayed behaviors that are strange to some. The best I can describe it is he has a lot of social awkwardness and other conditions related to his autism. He hasn't even heard of online predators because he's only been on the internet as long as I've met him. 2 years into it he told me that he was having a casual conversation and he asked what state they lived in. A normal person could probably see that that's not a really good question to ask when you just meet somebody. From what I gathered he also displayed symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder due to people bullying him the majority of his life and he has a bit of OCD when it comes to conversations because he expects people to say very precise things and he believes that if he doesn't hear those said things the other person is being socially awkward. I can see a lot of people getting annoyed with that but that is not a deal-breaker to me. Others on the other hand can't stand this person. He is also real firm on his beliefs and he is not much of a push over. He is actually very outgoing when he needs to defend himself but in other situations he is a little bit permissive. I can tolerate this person probably because I see a little bit of myself in him.
    He is actually in a situation where he pissed off a bunch of modders. He has asked some questions he now realizes he shouldn't have asked (you can guess which one). The initial exchange was heated because he felt like he did nothing wrong and they are accusing him of essentially stalking all because of the out of context questions. This person feels like he should try to get to know somebody the same way that he would in person but you can't really do that online but he wouldn't know that due to him only being on the internet for a short period of time. The other issue is that he doesn't feel safe in public so he limits himself to voice and direct messages. I've personally tried to help this situation but these people just won't listen to me or anyone else because other people have tried. Ironically their behavior seems more predatory than this person's. Hear me out. What is worse? Someone just trying to get to know somebody on the internet that is of legal age, or A group trying to cyberbully the same person in an area where nobody else can defend them but themselves. Also keep in mind this person has as previously stated multiple mental issues; none of them dangerous. Keep in mind I've had moderators threaten to do similar stuff to me all because I defended this person. They've made the same threats to my friends as well, all because the person was defended. Also keep in mind I've been an accomplished Zelda modder for more than a decade. This isn't just a community modding thing. Something is very wrong. Also keep in mind I'm purposely not saying the specific modding community that this is happening in because I don't want to open that can of worms. I'm not even asking for these people to even interact with the person I'm defending. I just don't want him to be labeled as a cyberstalker and have his entire life ruined. He just wants to make his mod and have people enjoy it without people trying to label him as a criminal.

Back