• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creating a battle

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    I see a lot of tutorials on how to make a battle better or change some of the features but I see none on how to create a battle for pokemon essentials version 13. If anyone can explain to me what to do I'd be so grateful. I've fought with it for hours and still have no clue how it works. I thought it was like RPG maker XP but apparently I was mistaken. Thank you in advance

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Yeah, I found it easiest to just grab a copy of the sample trainers and edit them to suit my whims. It did take me a little while to figure out that I HAD to change the "Comments" lines. At first I thought those were just like program comments that the program itself ignores and they're just there for programmers to keep track of what they did, but I found that those comments specifically seem to make a difference. If you don't edit them, things don't work the way you want them to. Or at least that was my experience for some reason. (Those Comments still don't seem to matter much with non-battle opponents from what I've seen so far.)

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    Thank you all for the help I got it working now I just have to figure out why the game completely freezes after the battle and all the dialogue it just freezes does anyone know what could cause that?

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    There might be a problem in your code. I found if there was something a little off in either the event for the trainer or in the trainers.txt file, the game had problems. Can you post a screen cap of the code?

Alternatively, if my computer's gone long enough without rebooting, programs will occasionally lock up. Turning the computer off for about 30-60 seconds does the trick in those cases (the wait time allows the RAM to dump itself out completely if my understanding is correct).

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    Sure here:
    It's triggered by a switch in another event but this one is what's giving me problems

@>Text:Here is your standard survival kit. 6 pokeballs, 3
    potions, 2 antidotes and 1 revive.

@>Text:Use these wisely \nbecause they are the only freebies you will get
    The rest of your supplies will come out of your own

@>Text:Only \nlife time recruits are given all their supplies for free.

@>Text:Life is cruel and short in our world many do not
    survive their three years.

@>Text:Be careful out there, I might
    be a hardass on the job but I do not like burring the
    young. I am not speaking as your superior I am

@>Text:You're supposed to outlive us
    not the other way around and your mother is a good
    friend. Now get out there and don't you dare die

@>ControlSwitch:[0097]=on

The switch activates a blank page I thought would end the conversation but every time the conversation either loops or else I am left with the game completely frozen and refusing to respond to any buttons pressed. The page is set on auto run the event after it is set to action buttion

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Looks like you might need to put in a self-switch to shut this page of your event off. Add another page to this event that's either blank or just has a simple text blurb and sprite that you don't mind getting repeated and then make sure that the new page is set to "Self Switch A [or B or whatever switch you use] = On."

Here's an example of what I mean so you can see it. My example completely shuts off this event because this character flees the cave after the event. If she was going to continue hanging out, I'd have given her a sprite and some little phrase on the last page.

Creating a battle

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    I appreciate the help but the picture isn't working. Does it mean that I put a self switch on at the end of the page then a new blank page with the switch turned on or do I do both in the same page?The first simply caused the game to freeze again. It also freezes if you lose once you are healed by your mother and brought back. It seems like it just freezes after every event

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    You do the command for the self-switch on one page and then whatever it should display after you turn the switch on in another page.

Although if it's freezing after EVERY program or so, I don't know what to tell you. :/ It's beyond me at that point. Sounds like it could be some problem related to processing. If your system's older or you do a lot of intensive graphics stuff, you might want to make sure everything's optimized and that your maintenance (like defragging the hard drive) is up to date.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but these sort of events should work perfectly.
    Autorun on the first page, activate game switch, or self switch at the end, action button on the second
    page and switch activated under conditions.

Here's how it should look.
    Spoiler:

Feel free to ask anything you're unsure of : )

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    I tried that just like the picture several times it still isn't working. I was wondering if because I'm running it on vista if that could have something to do with it. I was also thinking maybe I'll uninstall essentials then reinstall to see if that fixes anything

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I tried that just like the picture several times it still isn't working. I was wondering if because I'm running it on vista if that could have something to do with it. I was also thinking maybe I'll uninstall essentials then reinstall to see if that fixes anything

As far as I know, that shouldn't affect it ... Sounds strange. If you want, send me the map or just a blank map with
    that event so I can test it. Or alternatively a couple of screenshots of the event in question.

Daruda

Grinder
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    It's simple, name the map and search it in the map folder, the upload it somewhere...
    like mediafire.

Back