• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Crystal & gold cartridges not working

nano351

Metal and Color games are best
Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    Okay I am having a serrious problem with my crystal & gold version cartridge :(

This weekend I got bored so I decided to dig out my old pokemon games. I blew the dust out of the inside of my crystal version and put it in my game boy color and turned it on. I got to the screen where you choose continue, new game, or options. Well when I got to the menu I saw continue wasn't there and thoght "no big deal I probably just erased it" so I selected new game and then played for five minutes and got bored. So I saved my game and then once it was done saving shut off my game boy. Later I started It up and the save was gone all that was on the menu was:
    new game
    options
    So I started another game saved it restarted the gameboy and once again the save was not there. I tried starting another game and decided to save twice; When I restarted still no saved game! Then I tried my gold version it was having the same problem! I tried all of my other games and they worked perfectly fine. Also when I would save in my Crystal/Gold it would now ask me if I wanted to overwrite the first time but, if I saved again in the same session (without restarting my gameboy color) it would ask me. if I wanted to overwrite. Anyone know what's wrong?!?!

Just to let you guys know the cartridge gameboy games That I own are:
    the ones that work:
    Blue
    Red
    Yellow
    Silver
    and the ones that don't work:
    Gold
    Crystal

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2007
    Your carts' battery is dead. Find a replacement. Find a CR2025 or a P223-ND battery (The P223-ND battery is the correct one, the CR2025 is similar and can be easily found but its harder to replace)... but you also need some soldering skills. I recommend taking the battery and the cart to someone who can solder it for you.

nano351

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    Your carts' battery is dead. Find a replacement. Find a CR2025 or a P223-ND battery (The P223-ND battery is the correct one, the CR2025 is similar and can be easily found but its harder to replace)... but you also need some soldering skills. I recommend taking the battery and the cart to someone who can solder it for you.

There's a batery inside the cartridge? I'm not sure exactly what you meant could you simplify it:paranoid:

EDIT: nvm I understand now...

Last edited:

nano351

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    I read somewhere that you could send it in to Nintendo and they would fix it for you. I was wondering if you could still do this. anyone know?

EDIT: I forgot I had another question:
    How do you get the cartridge open??? I asked my dad if he had anything to unscrew the screw and the pack and he didn't and he thinks either you have to get a special tool or the front is supposed to pop off.

Last edited:

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
  • alright, guys. i've taken care of this before. my gold version and red version did the same thing, so here's my recommendations:

use a small pocket knife or tweezers to unscrew the small one on the back. when this is out, you slide the front half down and lift it. this will allow you to take out the circuit board.

when you have that out, be careful not to break the metal that's soldered to the battery. it looks like a bigger version of a watch battery, and usually the pokemon ones have a yellow rubber protector around them.

when you disconnect that, put the replacement battery in place. soldering is the only truly effective way to do it, but if you can't manage that, my recommendation is to use a very small piece of electrical tape over the top to keep it in place.

recap the cartridge, and screw it back together. if you lost the screw, or damaged it getting it apart, then i suppose you can very tightly tape the cartridge in place (the sliding motion you have to use to open it ensures it'll stay shut and firmly in place as long as side to side motion is prevented).

it's always possible to find the nintendo shops that repair your game, or you can send it to one, as those shops are really hard to find anymore. you can look up an address online, and you don't have to go in person (usually) to deliver the game. as a lot of older games are still popular, they still replace batteries in them as well as the advance and DS cartridges.

nano351

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    alright, guys. i've taken care of this before. my gold version and red version did the same thing, so here's my recommendations:

use a small pocket knife or tweezers to unscrew the small one on the back. when this is out, you slide the front half down and lift it. this will allow you to take out the circuit board.

when you have that out, be careful not to break the metal that's soldered to the battery. it looks like a bigger version of a watch battery, and usually the pokemon ones have a yellow rubber protector around them.

when you disconnect that, put the replacement battery in place. soldering is the only truly effective way to do it, but if you can't manage that, my recommendation is to use a very small piece of electrical tape over the top to keep it in place.

recap the cartridge, and screw it back together. if you lost the screw, or damaged it getting it apart, then i suppose you can very tightly tape the cartridge in place (the sliding motion you have to use to open it ensures it'll stay shut and firmly in place as long as side to side motion is prevented).

it's always possible to find the nintendo shops that repair your game, or you can send it to one, as those shops are really hard to find anymore. you can look up an address online, and you don't have to go in person (usually) to deliver the game. as a lot of older games are still popular, they still replace batteries in them as well as the advance and DS cartridges.

Well, That could work but I'm gonna stick to the easier method of leaving the game on for a very long time to see if it charges the battery. It makes some sense why it would work because the battery in the cartridge is a lithium battery that is cricular and flat resembling a watch battery. Since it's a lithium battery it should have a rechargable characteristic. But if that doesn't work I'll try to find some place to send my game to get fixed (I don't want to play a game covered in electrical tape. Next week I'll tell you guys wheter or not it's rechargable.(I'm trying now)

Last edited:

umbros

Dark trainer.
    Years
  • Well, That could work but I'm gonna stick to the easier method of leaving the game on for a very long time to see if it charges the battery. It makes some sense why it would work because the battery in the cartridge is a lithium battery that is cricular and flat resembling a watch battery. Since it's a lithium battery it should have a rechargable characteristic. But if that doesn't work I'll try to find some place to send my game to get fixed (I don't want to play a game covered in electrical tape. Next week I'll tell you guys wheter or not it's rechargable.(I'm trying now)

it won't charge the battery. the energy in it runs out due to too many hours of gameplay (or in my case, exposure to water). the game being on actually drains it very, very slowly, and every time you save, you lose a portion of the battery. even if the thing had any chance to recharge, if you could somehow stop it from draining slowly as the game runs, it'd take weeks to get enough energy back in it, even for just one save. you're better off sending it away if you don't want any tape and can't solder or unscrew the thing.

nano351

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    Well I tried it yesterday and if it does work, it only works for an sp 'cause after 4 hours there was absolutely 0 progress. So I'm gonna go to a local radio shack to see if they can fix it (I heard some radio shacks did that) if that doesn't work I already sent an e-mail to Nintendo's customer support. So thanks for all the help.

P.S. You're gold and red did this? I didn't think this could happen to red but I heard they had a some sort of micro chip that has been known to come out of place.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    well why dont u do what the cheap people do ans emulate yoour games like i do XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2010
    my answer is like above if u want only to play it in cartridge

but my suggestion is download an emulator for that in ur PSP, PC symbian cellphone, Gamepark or whatever.

i play pokemon gold and crystal in my nokia N70 using an emulator called vBoy it works fine and even with higher speed than ordinary gameboy

ILLEGALLcheatsMAN

Team halo grunt? O.o
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2007
    alright, guys. i've taken care of this before. my gold version and red version did the same thing, so here's my recommendations:

i just recently bought silver at a used game store and found the same problem,
    so people on my xfire said it was because the battery had died,
    now,i am trying to open the cartridge with metal tweezers and
    cannoth move the hexaconal screw,do you have a method?

and can i find the battery at a local superwal-mart or jewelry store?

Corranhorn

Jedi Trainer
    Years
  • Ugh it just happened to my Gold right when I got back in Pokemon and wanted to put all my old ones onto my new Pearl. >_<

Someone above mentioned sending it out.
    Where could I send it? Back to Nintendo? Or elsewhere?

nano351

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2013
    Hey guys I recently found a way to emulate on an ipod! Links in my signature

Last edited:

omfx___harley

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/18
    Years
  • huh. my gold, silver, and red games are all dead and when i asked my mom about what umbros said about fixing it she said ask your father and he said sure if you want to risk permanently busting it and i can't send it to nintendo because my mom "said so". God.

omfx___harley

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/18
    Years
  • What is the approx lifespan of the cartridges? It hasn't happened to any of my cartridges yet...

it all depends on how you care for them. if you keep them in little plastic cases and dont slam them on the floor or get them all wet or stick toothpicks in them (like my bro did to his yellow) or get it through the washing machine (like we all do with every pack) or damage them in any way, they can live pretty long. my gold got dust in it, silver was DELBERATELY PUT IN THE TUB BY MY BRO TO AVENGE HIS WARIO GAME THAT I LOST, and red was sneezed in (was blowing dust out, some dust got in my nose, and i sneezed in it.). Crystal and blue are gonna be messed up by the time they come out of hiding so cheers.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    Am I the only person who keeps all his games under his bed? XD all my games are still working fine (doesn't want to jinx himself) the average lifespan of the batteries is about 6 years. I think everyone is bound to have a dead battery soon... >.<

Back