• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Current Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Ok. I'm doing this differently for a change.
    I won't bother posting movesets or anything thus far or levels really because it isn't overly important at the moment.

Nidoking.
    Nearly at lv.40, so fairly close to learning EarthPower.

Kadabra.
    About the same level as Nidoking, haven't had a chance to trade to evolve as yet. Working out my wifi.

Growlithe.
    Only just caught, it's at level 20. Just learned Flame Wheel.
    Going to be keeping it as a Growlithe until I get to Route 25 and show it to Bills grandfather to get the Fire Stone.

Note: Keeping a spot open for Lapras, which I will be catching in the morning before work. (it will be friday tomorrow morning for me for those of you who are unaware of the time differences) Obviously there will be mass level grinding for me to do with Lapras to get it to the right level before facing Clair and her dragons.

So basically ahead of me I have level grinding for 2 pokemon to catch up to the ones I have already. I have a Kadabra to trade, I'll get onto that asap.
    I haven't beaten Pryce yet though so once I do that, the Rockets at the Radio Tower will be good training for Growlithe and Lapras for a little while. That should help anyway.

Any suggestions on additions to this team I have been creating?
    Also the pokemon I have chosen thus far are for reasons that they are favourites of mine from way back when, when I played pokemon yellow.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Your team is quite balanced although you might need a strong electric type like Apmharos to help you tackle lance in the future. Also, I suggest recruiting a pokemon that can learn and ice type move too since clair can be quite a pain.

I can't really offer much more advice right now since you haven't posted the movesets. You may think they aren't neccissary right now but in fact they are vital if you want people to rate your team constructively enough for you to take on the critsism and maybe improve your team if any improvement is required. VM me when you have..... if you do... I'll be happy to help anytime. :)

Years
    Right now I'm really only after suggestions on what pokemon might be beneficial in my team and so on.
    Once I get the 6 I will be using assembled I'll work on movesets and post them in this thread as well.

Lapras is the pokemon I'm planning on for the Ice attacks, it learns Ice Beam at lv.33, if I level grind I can get it to level 40 by the time I get to Clair.
    Still unsure on an Electric type. Tossing up between Ampharos, Magneton and Electrode. I should have caught one of the Electrodes in Mahogany Town Hideout.

Years
    Felt the need to add an update on how things are going at the moment.
    There are a couple of team additions and whatnot. Just playing around with a few things.

Kadabra. Lv.43
    Adamant
    Inner Focus
    Item: Twisted Spoon
    Psybeam
    Psycho Cut
    Psychic
    Recover

Growlithe. Lv.35
    Lonely
    Intimidate
    Item: None
    Take Down
    Fire Fang
    Flame Wheel
    Flamethrower

Lapras. Lv.34
    Bashful
    Shell Armour
    Item: Nevermeltice
    Body Slam
    Water Pulse
    Ice Beam
    Surf

Ampharos. Lv.30
    Rash
    Static
    Item: None
    Tackle
    Thunder Wave
    Thundershock
    ThunderPunch

So that's basically what my team consists of at the moment.
    I have some training to do on the bottom 3 pokemon to get to where Kadabra is at.
    I still as yet haven't worked out my wifi so I can trade to evolve Kadabra.
    As you can see, I have in fact dropped Nidoking, while one of my all time favourites, he just was not working out in my team and was not contributing to anything at all.
    Currently looking for a replacement.
    I have also just gone and got my Eevee from Bill and am looking to evolve it into an Umbreon to add the dark element to my team.
    Also, the movesets I haven't worried about too much as yet, I'm still working out what I want to do with those, any suggestions much appreciated.
    Finally, natures and hold items I am not concerned with at all.
    It makes no difference to me, this team is not for competitive battle and is solely for in game purposes.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    You need more type coverage. For example, all 4 of your Kadabra's moves are Psychic. Yes, they get STAB'ed, but not much else. Try this moveset here:

Kadabra/Alakazam
    -Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Calm Mind/Recover

The main reason for including Focus Blast is to take care of Dark types, which is Alakazam's main weakness. Even though Dark types are rare in-game, it doesn't hurt to cover that weakness. Shadow Ball covers Ghosts and Psychics who know Shadow Ball themeselves. Calm Mind and Recover should be self-explanitory.

Here's a better set for Growlithe/Arcanine
    -Flamethrower
    -Solarbeam
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Sunny Day

SunnyBeam-ing Arcanine can hit a lot of its weaknesses. With Sunny Day, you don't need to charge for Solarbeam, which can hit ground, water, and rock types, all of which it's weak to. Dragon Pulse is an execllent attack to take advantage of Arcanine's high Special Atk stat.

Now for Lapras:
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Confuse Ray

This set hits 8 types with Super-Effective damage. Thunderbolt does cost 10,000 coins at the Game Corner, but it's worth it.

And finally Ampharos
    - Discharge/Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Signal Beam
    - Thunder Wave

This set hits 9 types super-effectively, which is much better than the 2 types your current moveset hits.

Keep in mind type coverage when constructing teams, even in-game ones. For example, a certain Feraligatr moveset can hit 10/16 types for super-effective damage, and does nuetral damage against the rest. You'll be stuck if you put 4 moves of the same type on one pokemon.

Now you say you want an Umbreon? Umbreon is more of a defensive pokemon. Tyranitar makes a better offensive Dark-type. But if Umbreon is what you want, then use the following moveset:

-Faint Attack
    -Toxic
    -Moonlight
    -Confuse Ray

That'll probably be a pretty good set for Umbreon. And as far as a replacement for Nidoking, why not use the starter you picked? Typhlosion, Feraligatr, and Meganium are good for the main quest.

Years
    Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said I haven't been concerned with movesets as such at the moment so that's why there is a lack of type coverage in them.
    I don't think some of the attacks you listed in those movesets really suit the way I battle though, I have never been one to screw around confusing my opponents, or using status inflictions haha. It's just not my style.

I do want Umbreon. I've never actually trained one before so I'm looking forward to it.
    I could include Tyranitar though still as a replacement for Nidoking.
    I have no interest in using my starter. I never really like them anyway. :P

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    Well, since you don't want to use your starter...

How about using a Dragonite/Gyarados with Dragon Dance? The following Dragonite set at LV55 practically swept the entire E4 save Lance by itself in my last playthrough:

Dragonite:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost

Basically set up with a Dragon Dance or 3 to raise Atk and Speed, then sweep with Earthquake/Dragon Claw. Use Roost to heal any damage taken while Dragon Dance-ing.

Alternatively, Here's a nice Gyarados set:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Ice Fang
    -Waterfall
    -Stone Edge/Earthquake

Gyarados can't use Roost, but it's almost as good as DD Dragonite. Not to mention Ice Fang can be invaluable against Lance. Just make sure none of Lance's Dragonites hit you with Thunder/Thunderbolt, as that can KO you easily. What I did was set up with Dragon Dance a few times against Lance's own Gyarados, then used Stone Edge to KO it, then swept him up with Waterfall and Ice Fang.

Years
    Im thinking i might opt for dragonite in this instance since i already have lapras in my team.
    Also thinking against umbreon now, movesets just dont suit my style really.
    Might add tyranitar and cover the dark typing and as a replacemeny for nidoking. That might go alright.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    One water-type isn't enough in a game with three water HMs. You'll want Gyarados to take care of Waterfall so Lapras only needs to have Surf (good) and Whirlpool (lol).

Gyarados is a massive beast, though. I swept the entire Elite Four with a LV44 (well, at the start) Gyarados with one Dragon Dance. Every single guy died in one hit to Waterfall/Ice Fang/Bite (you don't even need TMs!). The only dangerous thing is Lance's Aerodactyl. Take it out with something else and set up in the face of his Gyarados. one DD = game.

Years
    I don't really use HMs though, this is the thing. Other than Surf I just make a HM slave that I just grab from the PC everytime I am going somewhere that I need a HM for.
    For example, Im using a Poliwhirl as a slave, it knows Waterfall, Whirlpool and Strength.
    I'll ditch it when I no longer need it.

Im somewhat particular. I realise Im not making it easy for you guys to come up with any sort of solutions or advice for me :P

Years
    Except for his x4 weakness to electric.
    x4 weaknesses bother me for some reason :P
    Im what you call slightly eccentric.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
    Perhaps, but Lapras has more weaknesses overall (Fighting, Rock, Electric, and Grass) whereas Gyarados is only weak to Rock and Electric. In the end it's your call, of course.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back